Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to help Skytalks be a success? Donate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteb0rd
    replied
    Re: Want to help Skytalks be a success? Donate!

Originally posted by astcell View Post
    Was Blackhat ever free?
    No, and that was my point.

BH has always been the paid, sponsored, upscale version of the con. If you preferred the corporate environment, you ponied up and went there.

DC on the other hand was the gritty cheap low budget version of most of the same infosec content with the welcome addition of distractions like pool2girl. In recent years the price of the con has ratcheted up and the scuttlebut was that that was (partly at least) due to the significantly more expensive electronic badges. Inflation and increased costs for a nicer venue have also no doubt played a factor, and a venue where you don't just assume that your footwear is going to stick to the floors in the hallways is a welcome upgrade. I was looking forward to the Rio......

Unfortunately, due to some last minute BS with the employer and a looming strike, I've had to cancel as of today and won't be making it. I had planned to ask some pointy questions about the cost of the con going up again yet the badges being apparently simplified at the same time. I will leave that to others to bring up as a question in the appropriate venue (i.e., not here) should it seem an appropriate topic.

I dislike the idea of corporate sponsorship at DEFCON, particularly if there is a connotation that said sponsorship comes with favors or status. It just tastes wrong.

If you you have gained the respect of your peers in the community, you might find yourself on the stage giving a talk, running a contest, or being offered a goon shirt (and some increased responsibilities). Getting invited to or gaining entry to an invite-only party or other gathering might come along with some of that, but the point is there is some notion of having "earned it".

Having (your personal or the company's) sponsorship check clear is not "earning it" in my not so fucking humble opinion.

WB

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Originally posted by Whiteb0rd View Post
    It's been around for years and it's called Blackhat.
    Was Blackhat ever free?

Leave a comment:

• Whiteb0rd
    replied

Donations are one thing, and donations never have a set amount. But as admission? Segmenting yourself apart from DEFCON as an exclusive party that you have to buy admission to? It's a bit disappointing.
    It's been around for years and it's called Blackhat.

Then again you will get a certain kind of crowd with your terms, and I am glad they have a place to go.
    I just wish they'd stay there and not clog up the halls and talks at DEFCON.

WB

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied

As someone who thinks paying for workshops IS a good idea, I also agree with what they are trying to do - get money to help fund a project. That project is a party (kickass one) and Skytalks. Nothing wrong with that, life is not free (contrary to what the SF downtown bums may think)..sometimes to participate you have to donate to the common good. Anyone can free-load, but how many people step up to volunteer, give cash or such? Hence also the reason I believe Goons are typically allowed into most events - they are volunteers.

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
    Because it's violates my sense of the meritocracy. It's no longer people who got where they are (invited) because they're either cool to hang out with or because someone vetted them, it's someone who says "I've got cash, just let me in". That's not the direction I want defcon to head.

Kallahar

Leave a comment:

• Verio
    replied

Sold out already.

Leave a comment:

• bluknight
    replied

Originally posted by chs View Post
    He did say "badged and shirted"... Nothing about pants there...
    Oh, pants are definitely optional. I cannot be held responsible the anything that occurs as a result.

Leave a comment:

• chs
    replied

Pants optional.
    He did say "badged and shirted"... Nothing about pants there...

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

To be perfectly honest, this is the first time I've ever heard that.
    Pants optional.

Leave a comment:

• chs
    replied

Originally posted by bluknight View Post
    CHS: Badged and shirted goons have always been welcome
    To be perfectly honest, this is the first time I've ever heard that.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

I agree with Kallahar. I know some folks who had to dig into their sofa for change to afford Defcon this year. You can be poor and wicked smart at the same time. I also know folks with certifications out the yingyang who don't know offhand which way to turn a faucet to shut off the water.

Donations are one thing, and donations never have a set amount. But as admission? Segmenting yourself apart from DEFCON as an exclusive party that you have to buy admission to? It's a bit disappointing.

Then again you will get a certain kind of crowd with your terms, and I am glad they have a place to go.

Leave a comment:

• bluknight
    replied

CHS: Badged and shirted goons have always been welcome. I am not aware of any change in the policy, although we may be checking a little closer.

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

Because it's violates my sense of the meritocracy. It's no longer people who got where they are (invited) because they're either cool to hang out with or because someone vetted them, it's someone who says "I've got cash, just let me in". That's not the direction I want defcon to head.

Kallahar
    I don't necessarily agree that that is what they are saying by their actions... But yours is a very valid point.

$75 isn't a "large sum of money". It's a cheap buy-in to an exclusive party.
    Where does it say $75 (I'm being serious)? 'cuz I was thinking they meant like $500+.....

edit:
    After check their page http://skytalks.info/donate.html, I see what you mean now...
    Last edited by HighWiz; August 1, 2011, 01:01. Reason: read their link

Leave a comment:

• chs
    replied

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
    They are not talking about charging money for SkyTalks, they're asking for donations to help fund Skytalks and the 303 party. So what rubs you the "wrong way" about someone who donates a large sum of money being invited to a private party?
    $75 isn't a "large sum of money". It's a cheap buy-in to an exclusive party.

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    replied

Kallahar

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

So the jist of it is, you can either be on the cool "invite" list, or you can be a "I've got money" douchebag who pays his way in? The rubs me the wrong way just like the workshops do.

Kallahar
    They are not talking about charging money for SkyTalks, they're asking for donations to help fund Skytalks and the 303 party. So what rubs you the "wrong way" about someone who donates a large sum of money being invited to a private party?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X