Canada officials bitten by e-Voting bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada officials bitten by e-Voting bug

it seems that some folk in Canada are keen on seeing e-Voting happen up there sometime soon. not just electronic machines, but full-on internet voting...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...ne-voting.html

The head of the agency in charge of federal elections says it's time to modernize Canada's elections, including testing online voting and ending a ban on publishing early election results.
    again and again we hear that word come up... "modernize"

all of this nonsense for the appearance of modernity. last i checked, there is no reason to ever modernize anything unless the current system or solution is lacking in some way.

elections are supposed to be a way for the state to measure and verify the will of the people in order to put forth changes (in leadership or policy) as set forth in the Constitution (or other framing document)

paper ballots do that. they do it well. they do it in a way that is actually very hard to tamper unless you have a lot of resources (in both tech, money, and most of all people)

as folk on mailing lists and elsewhere have pointed out whenever e-Voting comes up, the biggest risks are...

1. the ability of a relative few folks playing heck with the results

2. the susceptibility of the system to attacks that not only produce fraudulent results, but also the far greater risk of killing the legitimacy of real results.

i have no idea who is pushing this. Renderman, can you find out who they are and kick them in the balls? many of us Yanks view Canada as the place to go if our own nation totally implodes. please don't let it get all fucked up.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Canada officials bitten by e-Voting bug

I'm working on it, I'm working on it, I'm kicking, I'm kicking

This came across my des a few days ago and I've been researching it ever since. I have a huge number of tabs open at the moment on the subject.

It's not as far along as people seem to think. The report basically states that there were some difficulties (mostly staffing, etc) that they figure technology can solve. The report is suggesting to look into electronic and internet voting, rather than mandating it or anything solid like that.

All that said, as we found out in Norway, it's important to head off stupidity before it gets too far along. Sadly, our little cadre of friends seems to have far more experience with these initiatives than we should. I am hoping for a repeat of Norway. I will keep you up to date.

Any fellow Canadians should keep in touch with me on this issue. I want to make sure that mistakes in other countries are not repeated here and that, as hackers, we put our skills to use to show the problems thier 'solutions' will inevitable invite.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
      I'm working on it, I'm working on it, I'm kicking, I'm kicking

This came across my des a few days ago and I've been researching it ever since. I have a huge number of tabs open at the moment on the subject.

It's not as far along as people seem to think. The report basically states that there were some difficulties (mostly staffing, etc) that they figure technology can solve. The report is suggesting to look into electronic and internet voting, rather than mandating it or anything solid like that.

All that said, as we found out in Norway, it's important to head off stupidity before it gets too far along. Sadly, our little cadre of friends seems to have far more experience with these initiatives than we should. I am hoping for a repeat of Norway. I will keep you up to date.

Any fellow Canadians should keep in touch with me on this issue. I want to make sure that mistakes in other countries are not repeated here and that, as hackers, we put our skills to use to show the problems thier 'solutions' will inevitable invite.
      Fuck that. Just let them do it. I've always wanted to be Grand Poobah (or whatever you crazy cold people call it up there) of Canadidialand.
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Fuck that. Just let them do it. I've always wanted to be Grand Poobah (or whatever you crazy cold people call it up there) of Canadidialand.
        Thank you Chris for giving me extra motivation to make sure that they dont go ahead with these plans. Last thing I want see is you as Prime Minister, though the national salute would be alot more interesting if you were.
        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
          Thank you Chris for giving me extra motivation to make sure that they dont go ahead with these plans. Last thing I want see is you as Prime Minister, though the national salute would be alot more interesting if you were.
          Are you kidding? This is a FANTASTIC idea. I want to be campaign manager! I'll need a Mounty Uniform, a white wolf, and a streetwise Chicago cop with a sassy attitude and receding hairline.

I have faith in you, Render. <3
          WUVMVEtSUktQRlJOVE9CSENLRUFIUUtR

Comment

Working...
          X