Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astcell
    replied
    Yea, it's not like access is really expensive. Get all your neighbors together and buy your own T-1!

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Re: Re: Re: HAHAHA

Originally posted by mfreeck
    What I see being put forth here is that by "borrowing" someone's bandwidth, you are taking something from them. In reality, unless they are metered, it doesn't affect them, and they won't notice you are using a bit of their bandwidth.

Also, I'd say most wardrivers *have* their own net at home. It's fun to sit out and use someone else's net... until it's time to find a bathroom. ;)
    Unfortunately the usg doesn't see it being similar... in fact there are laws that have been made to prevent such things as theft of services... it is only a matter of time before wardriving moves from gray to jet black... right now it is just about the fun.

I get quite a few emails daily from other users on other boards asking with help on how to get phree access so they can browse the net at lunch using either their corporate ap's, or using ap's across the street, or nearby their area where they sit in their cars for lunch.

As usual it isn't the true geek/hacker/technologist that is doing this abuse, it is those who only do minimal effort to learn something... new terms: WarKiddie, WiFiKiddie... they always ruin it for everyone else.. :(

Leave a comment:

• mfreeck
    replied
    Re: Re: HAHAHA

Originally posted by blackwave

I see it as It is bad publicity.
    What I see being put forth here is that by "borrowing" someone's bandwidth, you are taking something from them. In reality, unless they are metered, it doesn't affect them, and they won't notice you are using a bit of their bandwidth.

Also, I'd say most wardrivers *have* their own net at home. It's fun to sit out and use someone else's net... until it's time to find a bathroom. ;)

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Yea, XP is like that. Dummy me thinking everyone has NT or 2000. Then again a parasite surfer cannot be any worse than the sextracker.txt cookies and all the other spyware!

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    and I doubt they'll secure their wi-fi via their mac address.
    Wouldn't matter anyway, with xp spoofing the mac is simpler than changing the background on the desktop.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    I almost blew a buddy away with a .45 because he came to visit at 3am and wanted to tap on the window. Use the door dumy! Anyway folks may not understand that strip, I saw it today ad loved it, and I doubt they'll secure their wi-fi via their mac address.

Folks may not like you doing it but in reality once they find out you know how to fix computers they'll probably welcome you!

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by wetw3rx
    course i was always climbing out of the windows when the guns came out.:p
    D'oh!... or when the husbands came home? ;)

Leave a comment:

• wetw3rx
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwave
    haha, you guys are too funny.. hiding in a bush.. lol... wouldn't work for some of my pals that open the door with the doorknob in one hand and a .45 in the other.... in fact one time i almost got my head blown by trying to go directly up to his window... i never heard my heart pound so hard for the next 3 hours..
    raised in alabama (don't tell anybody), lived in orange county,....think i left both for the same reason.
    course i was always climbing out of the windows when the guns came out.:p

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    haha, you guys are too funny.. hiding in a bush.. lol... wouldn't work for some of my pals that open the door with the doorknob in one hand and a .45 in the other.... in fact one time i almost got my head blown by trying to go directly up to his window... i never heard my heart pound so hard for the next 3 hours..

Leave a comment:

• wetw3rx
    replied
    Originally posted by L0nd0
    Well once we drive around and find these wireless networks we could just come back again on foot and hide in a tree or bush or somthing. hehe that would be too funny :D
    excellent! as long as you aren't carrying your digi camera or binoculars.:p

Leave a comment:

• wetw3rx
    replied
    it is also an excellent way of breaking the ice with new neighbors. neighbor comes over and wants to know why you are on your roof with a laptop and a coffee can. you quickly hide the coffee can, introduce yourself, and voila! friends are made.

Leave a comment:

• L0nd0
    replied
    Well once we drive around and find these wireless networks we could just come back again on foot and hide in a tree or bush or somthing. hehe that would be too funny :D

Leave a comment:

• wetw3rx
    replied
    Originally posted by L0nd0
    Oh so true, but what can you do.
    put out the good word, i was also thinking we should all drive ice cream trucks and public utility vehicles. that way it might not be as noticeable when we drive around the neighborhood. :D

Leave a comment:

• L0nd0
    replied
    Oh so true, but what can you do.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Re: HAHAHA

Originally posted by Kai
    HAHAHA
    This has been brought up in a few other forums..
    here is my response to this in regards to if it is good or bad publicity.. :

I see it as It is bad publicity.
    I interpreted as a mockingly being thrown to the same level as software piracy, illegal p2p software/music/movie trading... Sure it is funny to read... but imagine the millions of sheep that read this that have no clue what stumbling is, it probably isn't as funny for them.

... again another example of the free speech double-edged sword.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X