• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shirt design ideas

|

Comment

Been trying to reply for a week and the forum or something keeps hiccuping.

I was thinking something with the horizontal defcon logo's from years past as bullets in a magazine on a see through gun, ala H.R. Giger's 'birth machine' (google it) and/or as spent casings. Perhaps something utilizing the term 'reload' since there has been discussion about getting Defcon back to roots i.e. "After 20 years, time to reload"

Just tossing ideas out there
      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
        In the last 7 days, we had 2 rounds of upgrades (Database upgrade with dump, new init and restore followed by webserver, and related plugins) and then another down-period for another upgrade (plugin security risk patch) , and yesterday there were network problems. The 3 upgrade periods were all scheduled or at least announced, though the last upgrade was done with little warning; I announced tha last scheduled maintenance 5 minutes before I started.

Yesterday's network toruble caused forums, pics, tamperevidentwiki and the main (www) defcon site to be unreachable, for ~30 seconds, then several minutes on Saturday morning (pacific time.)

Could you be more specific to describe the problems you experienced and how they manifested in your browsing attempts?
        Last edited by TheCotMan; February 5, 2012, 20:46.

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post

I was thinking something with the horizontal defcon logo's from years past as bullets in a magazine on a see through gun, ala H.R. Giger's 'birth machine' (google it) and/or as spent casings. Perhaps something utilizing the term 'reload' since there has been discussion about getting Defcon back to roots i.e. "After 20 years, time to reload"

Just tossing ideas out there
          I like the idead of that too. The casing idea with the logo's. It could be too much but maybe the occupy 10 ring could be on the back with the 'birth machine' on the front. Though that would probably drive up printing costs. Maybe use the more simple 10 ring silloute on the back as that would only be white silkscreen. But that may also bring in the fact not liking to have a target on your back

Comment

I like wrøng's "occupy center mass" with the hand.

If someone runs with Render's "reload" concept, that'd be cool to see too.
            TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Image appropriate with:
              "The U.S.S.R. had no 2nd amendment rights: 'In Soviet Russia, Gun Shoots You!'"

Or:

"In America, Occupy Range: muzzles face down-range,
              In Soviet Russia, you are range and muzzles occupy your face."
              (Image of cloth over mouth compare/contrast DC shoot range.)

These are dated, 80's and early 90's styled humor, not meant to be popular now. (Simple examples.)

(Showing examples of politics being okay in slogans for tee shirts, on the forums, just so long as they are not abused for politcal discussions. I'm hoping this decreases intimidation among others in others wanting to suggest ideas for this. Feel free to go polticial with your slogans and tee shirt design ideas here. Same with amusing 'trolling' slogans and tee shirt designed. Let's see how this works.)
              Last edited by TheCotMan; February 13, 2012, 11:13.

Comment

i like all these good ideas. we'll have to put things to a vote at some point, perhaps. anyone else weighing in with thoughts?

i appreciate CotMan's clarification of political content and how, in limited contexts like slogan and shirt brainstorming, it can be allowed here on the forums.
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'd like to see some of the other designs as well. Probably as we get closer to the event more people will check in and share their ideas.
                  |

Comment

How's it going everyone? DC19 Shoot was excellent. I was just chatting with a friend about last year's shirts. I stopped in when the alert for room reservations went out. I'm surprised to see shirt design ideas up already. We were down to the wire last year. The Occupy idea is neat. I'll have to start some brainstorming and add to the party.

Hope all of you have been well. Can't believe were down to 5 months already.

Comment

Just posting a quick reminder message to state that, much like last year, i will have no direct hand in the shirts at all. Other than weighing in like everyone else on the design ideas, i have no role there.

And i'm really relieved and so amazingly happy that others have stepped up to make them happen. It's great to not have it on my plate and not not have one more large box to bring or one more sheet of names to keep separated (since i have enough right now with the Shoot Sign-Up list, etc)

So, yeah, i anticipate the usual slew of questions via email and forum PMs, asking how much they cost, what sizes are available, etc... but i'll try to head them off at the pass right here by saying "I'm not the guy, talk to the other guy"

(and, if the Other Guy wants to post an "official contact and ordering" thread that'd probably be great. CotMan could even keep it locked for us, i suspect, as long as it has a note saying "the official shirt should be produced at such-and-such a time this year, and anyone wanting one will have to alert me [by these specified means] before such-and-such date")
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Right on, I guess we just need to determine what design to go with. I was waiting to see if anyone else would post some designs but I'm not sure at what point we want to cut it off and send one to the print shop.

Should we take a vote or something? Wait longer? We do still have like half a year until the event

Anyway, if you guys like one of the ones I did up I can handle the orders and stuff- just need to know. I don't want to step on any toes or discourage others from submitting their ideas. The more the merrier. Keep em coming guys.

On a side note, do we have any thoughts for the front of the shirts? What about like "We are the 99%.... ...Accuracy"?
                        |

Comment

Should the volunteer ROs have shirts that are a different color / different design?

Does anyone have any additional input for the design? I realize it is still early but I don't think it's a bad thing to have plans laid out in advance.
                          |

Comment

If anyone wants to incorporate real targets with real bullet holes in them let me know.

I go to a local range almost every weekend and can print out any 8.5x11 taget anyone sends and put real holes in it.
                            DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by wrøng! View Post
                              Should the volunteer ROs have shirts that are a different color / different design?
                              i think it's totally fine for RSOs or staff to have the option to get an additional/alternate shirt, but then that does necessitate involving me (or at least my staff list) so keep me in the loop when production time comes. i'm more than happy to share/authenticate if someone says they're on the list... but i'd rather not take the role of keeping track of who wants what, which sizes, etc.

Also, when people are actually on the range all RSOs have orange mesh vests and Staff wear yellow mesh vests. Thus, everyone can always identify them under any conditions (even if they don't but a shoot shirt)

I'm really pleased at how things are shaping up with the shirts, etc. I'm glad that you folk have it under control, it's really wonderful to not have to plan this part of the Shoot anymore.
                              - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'll throw a few more ideas that could be tweaked into something more usable.

A protestor holding up their fist is a popular recognizable image. We could do that except have them hold up a suppressed pistol similar to this shirt

Or we can go for something minimal that only gun people might get. For ideas on that see

and

Comment

Working...
                                X