This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask a Security Goon

Since I'm a speaker goon, I'm not sure I have authority to say much here. But as an organizer of another event as well, I can only give this advice:

If you want to endear yourself and become a goon/staff member, offer to help clean up. After 3 to 5 days with little to no sleep and blisters on your feet, nothing is more welcome than someone who is willing to make sure everything goes back to the way it was or at least truck heavy shit to where it needs to be.

Also, the best way to volunteer is to keep eyes open and report anything you think is off. Of course, this being Defcon, something "off" has a fluid definition. If anything, look out for others.

Comment

Re: Ask a Security Goon

Originally posted by froggy View Post
      Since I'm a speaker goon, I'm not sure I have authority to say much here. But as an organizer of another event as well, I can only give this advice:

If you want to endear yourself and become a goon/staff member, offer to help clean up. After 3 to 5 days with little to no sleep and blisters on your feet, nothing is more welcome than someone who is willing to make sure everything goes back to the way it was or at least truck heavy shit to where it needs to be.

Also, the best way to volunteer is to keep eyes open and report anything you think is off. Of course, this being Defcon, something "off" has a fluid definition. If anything, look out for others.
      Well said.

Nothing helps us more than humans that help us out. Believe me when I say we definitely notice it when you tell you friend to knock it off when yelling at a goon about "how long the line is". We also notice it when you say "thank you" or "I really appreciate what you do". Yelling at us will also not get you anywhere, telling us that your an important VIP for a very important company also wont get you anywhere. We want to help you so treat us like you want to be treated so if you have a question or need help just ask, we want to make sure that you have an awesome con and that means we will do what we can to help you out where we can.

:D
      There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
      X