Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DaKahuna asks for subjects/topics for Defcon 20 Wireless Village...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaKahuna asks for subjects/topics for Defcon 20 Wireless Village...

In a protected tweet (I asked for permission to republish in public, and got it) DaKahuna, the leader/organizer for the Wireless Village tweeted this:

URL1=https://twitter.com/#!/DaKahuna2007/status/172691210585128960
    Originally posted by URL1
    I am looking for ideas on which subjects to discuss in the #Defcon20 Wireless Village. What are your thoughts? #lazywebs
    Enjoy!

Re: DaKahuna asks for subjects/topics for Defcon 20 Wireless Village...

Are we limited to 802.11?
    |

Comment

Originally posted by wrøng! View Post
      Are we limited to 802.11?
      Historically, "wireless," at the wireless village was for any kind of wireless communication. Last year, I think there were pointers or classes to help people with the radio exam, and they closed the village so people could take the test. Last I read from DaKahuna on twitter was that he did not want to close the wireless village this year for test-takers, because people were unhappy at being turned away from the wireless village on Sunday.

None of what I have typed here is authoritative or official, but second-hand information. I may be wrong, or mistaken. DaKahuna will have official answers for you.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        Historically, "wireless," at the wireless village was for any kind of wireless communication. Last year, I think there were pointers or classes to help people with the radio exam, and they closed the village so people could take the test. Last I read from DaKahuna on twitter was that he did not want to close the wireless village this year for test-takers, because people were unhappy at being turned away from the wireless village on Sunday.

None of what I have typed here is authoritative or official, but second-hand information. I may be wrong, or mistaken. DaKahuna will have official answers for you.

Hope this helps.
        Thank you. If we are talking wireless of any flavor, here are a few ideas:
        1. Intercepting and replaying garage door opener transmissions
        2. The same with home security key-fobs
        3. Spoofing SKI(M|S)
        |

Comment

Originally posted by wrøng! View Post
          Thank you. If we are talking wireless of any flavor, here are a few ideas:
          1. Intercepting and replaying garage door opener transmissions
          2. The same with home security key-fobs
          3. Spoofing SKI(M|S)
          I would attend. However, that's probably not saying very much in your favor.

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

I'll throw a curve ball, I'd love to see a Delorme InReach, and for a more than a couple of reasons, the latest satellite phone encryption crack, but also I'd love to see what hacks could come in light of Syrian government possibly using satellite phone surveillance to pinpoint the location of journalist Marie Colvin.

At $249, This could be a real game changer in the future.
            Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

I doubt I'll be able to do anything at the Satellite level, especially dealing with the Delorme InReach due to equipment limitations but if you'd like to research and do a presentation and or demonstration I can certainly arrange a time slot in the Wireless Village.

I'll take a look and see if there is something around the automobile, garage and or home remote entry systems that I can come up with. It's a matter of being able to find test equipment that operates in those frequency ranges. Again, if you have anything you would like to present or demo just let me know.
              DaKahuna

Comment

I would love to see some discussion around use of SDR on gnuradio and USRP's

Comment

Originally posted by hunter View Post
                  I would love to see some discussion around use of SDR on gnuradio and USRP's
                  So would I but I have not found anyone with a SDR set up who would be willing to come in and do a demonstration and talk about their experiences, with or without USRP's.

I assume you saw this and that's what peaked your interest - http://novelflash.com/wiki/index.php..._USRPs_in_a_VM

I am considering, time permitting, purchasing a 1 - 250Mhz RX daughter board from Ettus Research and at least doing a presentation on set up. Transcievers cost $450 and up and that's more than I can commit at this time.
                  DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                    So would I but I have not found anyone with a SDR set up who would be willing to come in and do a demonstration and talk about their experiences, with or without USRP's.

I assume you saw this and that's what peaked your interest - http://novelflash.com/wiki/index.php..._USRPs_in_a_VM

I am considering, time permitting, purchasing a 1 - 250Mhz RX daughter board from Ettus Research and at least doing a presentation on set up. Transcievers cost $450 and up and that's more than I can commit at this time.
                    Actually I just bought a B100 USRP with the WBX daughterboard (50Mhz to 2.2Ghz) and am in the process of trying to teach myself, I can bring it with me and we could try to learn together. Another cool toy, if you want to receive only is the FunCube Dongle (64Mhz-1.7Ghz), it costs less than $200 and works well with Gnuradio, I can bring that as well.

The USRP's seem to be the ultimate hacking tool for any radio based system, they have a broad freq range, and with SDR can decode just about any modulation scheme.

Comment

There's going to be a fair bit of APCO 25 digital two way radio traffic around the con and the LV area in general from feds, goons and attendees.

Might be a mode worthy of demonstration on the USRP or FCD?
                      http://op25.osmocom.org/wiki

I can bring a demo P25 radio to generate signals etc with if there's interest.

EDIT: I might have a FCD and a laptop with USRP running. We'll see how I go over the next couple of weeks...
                      Last edited by taclane; June 27, 2012, 04:35.

Comment

Wow - that would be so great.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
                        DaKahuna

Comment

I can also confirm I will be bringing my FCD , and my USRP-B100 with laptop and gnuradio. I also have a small 2Meter/55CM dual band antenna we can attach to these boxes, so about all I need is an AC outlet See you next week! -- any chance of running some coax to the roof? no? I didn't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter View Post
                            I can also confirm I will be bringing my FCD , and my USRP-B100 with laptop and gnuradio. I also have a small 2Meter/55CM dual band antenna we can attach to these boxes, so about all I need is an AC outlet See you next week! -- any chance of running some coax to the roof? no? I didn't think so.
                            How would you like to show your stuff off 1300 -1400 on Sunday?

No chance of running a coax to the roof. However, we might be able to pick up some signals, given the range of the FCD. I also have a 2M/70CM antenna and HT that I'll be brining. We could always improvise some antenna's as well -- just need some wire.
                            DaKahuna

Comment

Sunday at 13:00 it is! I will also stop in and say hi before then.

I will also have my HT, and for data I can always generate some APRS on the HT to decode with the SDR. The antenna I am bringing should be OK for what we will be picking up, Not really planning on transmitting since the USRP only has 0.2W and the FCD is receive only, If I do xmit it will be on amateur freqs only. That means SWR will not be an issue and any random wire length can be used to receive. P25's would be fun to play with, but with an hour we really can't do much more than show at a high level what SDR receivers are capable of, and generate some seeds/discussion for further research. If anyone does bring a P25 make sure it is licensed for the Vegas area, we don't want any Feds busting someone on something stupid like transmitting on a bad frequency. I would be thrilled if someone from Ettus could show up and really make this USRP dance.

Comment

Working...
                              X