Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astcell
    replied
    More freqs AND more responsibility? What a double edged sword! They don't even put restrictions like that on firearms!

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    Just what are the benefits of the higher licenses?
    Here is the breakdown... but generally it is the higher the class the broader spectrum of frequency privileges, which of course comes with more responsibility.
    http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/classes.html

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwave

I have tapes, cd's, video, programs up the wazoo... if it isn't used on a daily basis, it fades away. :(
    Can you donate some to the cause? (Your tapes, not your wazoo). I have a book on no-code licenses but it is a few years old. Just what are the benefits of the higher licenses? I'm not one of those who tweaks radios, I'm happy with store bought stuff wih the warranty intact.

Leave a comment:

• Neural
    replied
    Re: Re: Well, not FRS but....

Originally posted by froggy

Well, I will have my vx-5 operating on FRS, but I'm going to try to actually stick to the 2m calling freq, 146.520. If needbe, we could hop around bands after making an initial contact.

FRS is for weenies. ;)
    Sweet. I think octalpussy mentioned something about having the 303 repeater in her room. I guess that would be great for people not staying at the alexis park since low power simplex would about cover ya.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    QRZ had an interesting post a month or so back about a decent little program to work on your CW. It's really pretty slick.
    I have tapes, cd's, video, programs up the wazoo... if it isn't used on a daily basis, it fades away. :(

Leave a comment:

• froggy
    replied
    QRZ had an interesting post a month or so back about a decent little program to work on your CW. It's really pretty slick. I'm only a technician, so I haven't had to test my code yet, but I can copy it fairly decently... I just haven't had the time to perfect it and test.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Well, I think a small breakout session would be a good idea. I'm already planning on giving a "Practical reasons for getting your amateur radio license" talk at Rubi-Con in Detroit this year, if possible.
    I think the worst part is learning the code everything is cake... no time to sit there and think in dit-dah's.. I have learned it several times over... but because I never use it always end up relearning it... of course the learning curve is only in about an hour to get back to a decent speed...

Leave a comment:

• froggy
    replied
    Well, I think a small breakout session would be a good idea. I'm already planning on giving a "Practical reasons for getting your amateur radio license" talk at Rubi-Con in Detroit this year, if possible.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Ham classes at the con, now that sounds like a good investment of time!

Leave a comment:

• froggy
    replied
    Agreed... cost me $10, but it's still a bargain. Having one means hearing fewer questions about odd looking radio gear. Plus, it has the potential to be a great public service.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Re: Re: Well, not FRS but....

FRS is for weenies. ;)
    More people should get their HAM licenses... they are only 6 bux and easier to take than a driving test.

Leave a comment:

• froggy
    replied
    Re: Well, not FRS but....

Originally posted by Neural
    I can understand how FRS will be a bitch. Is there any info about what ham frequencies people will be on? I'll have my VX-5 with me. I think I read somewhere mentioning using an out of band frequency. I think it might have been the Deathrace 2k caravan.

I'm thinking we would want to be out of band anyway so we won't disrupt the local hams with our con chatter.
    Well, I will have my vx-5 operating on FRS, but I'm going to try to actually stick to the 2m calling freq, 146.520. If needbe, we could hop around bands after making an initial contact.

FRS is for weenies. ;)

Leave a comment:

• froggy
    replied
    Re: Re: Re: FRS channel reservations

Originally posted by skroo

Ah, how well I remember the fifty watts of 'manboobs' and 'blueberry clitoris' that characterised Defcon 8, followed by three hours of Oingo Boingo on FRS... *sniff* such happy times...
    jesus christ on a crucifix that was annoying! I remember it well, though...

If anyone starts that shit this year I'll kick their ass (that is, of course, if it isn't me. ;)

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    Oh you don't wana talk about redheads that way!
    oh hell tell me about it, I respect the mighty redheads more than you know... for about 4 years I hung out in #redheads on a non-disclosed network... now that was something else... ;) Hell hath no fury as a redhead scorned...Frankly, I couldn't imagine life without a redhead, especially mine :) <touching moment here>

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Oh you don't wana talk about redheads that way!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X