Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration questions

Two quick questions.

1. Is it possible to register for a friend? Or do they limit one lanyard per person?

2. How do the winners of contests from last year claim their free registration?

Thanks

Re: Registration questions

Originally posted by ichthys View Post
    Two quick questions.

1. Is it possible to register for a friend? Or do they limit one lanyard per person?
    Historically it has worked like this: bring cash for 10 people and as one person you can buy 10 badges.

It is much faster to sell 10 badges to one person than to sell 1 badge at a time to 10 different people.

Asked and answered. Please read another post in another thread and the answers that follow shows the same question and an answer. TW / Technoweenie is the guy that runs the badge sales. It usually means forfeiting your black badge from previous Defcon until Sunday, when you can pick up the Black Badge you forfeited earlier.

Can these be combined? Huh. That might be a, "hack," wouldn't it? ;-)

Comment

Thanks for answering my first question.

That second link doesn't seem related at all :/ I'm trying to search the forums for info on this but mostly what I'm coming up with is Black badge info which is not what I'm looking for.

Comment

That second link doesn't seem related at all :/ I'm trying to search the forums for info on this but mostly what I'm coming up with is Black badge info which is not what I'm looking for.
        Reload this thread again, and the my link should have changed. I pasted the thread ID instead of the post ID. It is fixed now. Kallahar is a security goon, too, if that helps you to recognize the value of his answer, too.

Comment

When you say "contest winner" are you talking about a contest where you received a black badge or no? If not, then you may want to talk to the people who ran the contest you won last year. Which contest was it?
          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
            When you say "contest winner" are you talking about a contest where you received a black badge or no? If not, then you may want to talk to the people who ran the contest you won last year. Which contest was it?
            Not a black badge contest. The contest was Hack Fortress.

Comment

I have a feeling we get them directly from the contest organizer when we get to the con.

Comment

Not a black badge contest. The contest was Hack Fortress.
                If it was as part of a contest, and it was not a black badge, you will need to talk to the organizers of the contest. Most contests at Defcon are independently run by individuals or groups. The only "free entry to Defcon" that I know about that are official are:
                * Goons/Staff
                * Black Badge holders
                * Speakers

Historically, Press had to pay for badges, but items I read recently suggest they may not have to pay for badges this year, or only pay a small fee -- details have not been published.

People from BlackHat had historically been provided a "free" Defcon badge as part of paying for and attending BlackHat. (In reality, their Defcon badges were "included in the price" they paid for BlackHat, not free.) Over the years of separation, this has changed from "included with price of BlackHat" to "subsidized." Now, only a small amount of the cost of a Defcon Badge is paid for as a part of the cost of people that attend BlackHat.

Outside of these spaces, any "free badge," or, "free entry to Defcon 20," would be between you and the person that promised this to you. It would be a good idea to make arrangements and contact these people early and get this squared away now, before Defcon starts.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                  If it was as part of a contest, and it was not a black badge, you will need to talk to the organizers of the contest. Most contests at Defcon are independently run by individuals or groups. The only "free entry to Defcon" that I know about that are official are:
                  * Goons/Staff
                  * Black Badge holders
                  * Speakers

Historically, Press had to pay for badges, but items I read recently suggest they may not have to pay for badges this year, or only pay a small fee -- details have not been published.

People from BlackHat had historically been provided a "free" Defcon badge as part of paying for and attending BlackHat. (In reality, their Defcon badges were "included in the price" they paid for BlackHat, not free.) Over the years of separation, this has changed from "included with price of BlackHat" to "subsidized." Now, only a small amount of the cost of a Defcon Badge is paid for as a part of the cost of people that attend BlackHat.

Outside of these spaces, any "free badge," or, "free entry to Defcon 20," would be between you and the person that promised this to you. It would be a good idea to make arrangements and contact these people early and get this squared away now, before Defcon starts.
                  That all sounds reasonable, thanks for the information.

Comment

Two quick questions.

Thanks
                    the only 'free registration' for contest winners are those that won and were given a 'black badge'.

TW

Comment

"won a contest" "not a black badge" "free entry" sounds like a similar situation to what the a few contests have done the last few years. The organizers of some of them have a handful of Black Badges they won in previous years. Using their own BBs they promise "free entry next year only" to the winners of that contest. The winners are required to get in touch with the organizers AT CON with arrangements made via email PRE CON. Send the forum organizer of that event a message is my suggestion or contact them directly if you have their contact email. Otherwise, still do not fret, try finding them AT CON if you know their face. Or, ask a Goon to find them.

Good Luck.
                      "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Are there still badges and registration packets available or have they run out all ready? I was thinking of arriving late Friday or early Saturday morning and would not want to miss the badge.

Comment

Working...
                        X