Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How would you make Defcon 21 better?

Please make the Wifi Village room bigger! I missed several lectures beacuse the room was filled to the brim and people were stacked up at the doorway.
    Need to have the Defcon program available for tablets/smart phones.

Loved the many parties this year! Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by OzoneRanger View Post
      - <..... snip snip snip ..... >

- Consider opening the line to get DC21 badges early with a skeleton crew during the afternoon/evening before the con officially starts to get some people through the line early; maybe even have someone distributing badges in the hotel check-in line the afternoon/evening before?
      This is a joke right? The was never a line for registration after 1130 - 1200 Thursday morning. The registration team and the Security goons did an outstanding job of managing the registration line this year and I believe they registered the vast majority of attendee's the first three hours of the con.

Distributing badges/collecting cash in the hotel check-in line -- RIGHT!!
      DaKahuna

Comment

Originally posted by syrel View Post
        - WIRELESS: Maybe let us register for wireless ahead of time. I didnt see that offered in the forums so I apologize if I missed it.
        Look harder next time: https://twitter.com/TheLockheed/stat...90298434412544 - AND it was re-tweeted by the DefCon account. The Network team gets in on Sunday, Wifi Reg was open by Monday.

We all have shitty jobs (at least at some point in our lives), but you are the asshole that volunteered for it, so STFU.
        This line negates that rest of your idea's, since it goes from "constructive criticism" to you just being a dick.
        Last edited by HighWiz; August 2, 2012, 17:32.
        And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

My suggestion:

Don't open a thread like this till a week (7 days) after DefCon. That way, you give all the people who actually were involved in DefCon and care about DefCon some time to get back into the swing of real life before all the whiner babies come out.
          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

This was my very first DEFCON and I found one main flaw:

It wasn't LONG ENOUGH!!! I did NOT want to go home! I loved it so much!

The other flaw:

Next year can't get here soon enough!!!!
            “Should we all confess our sins to one another we would all laugh at one another for our lack of originality” - Kahlil Gibran

"Show me a sane man, and I will cure him for you." -- Carl Jung

Comment

Here is what I noticed with my friends at defcon 20. I am hoping you can take this and use it for next year.
              snipped out a bunch of stuff...

ps....for the wasted blonde red shirt goon playing dubstep in the hallway on sunday using nothing but pandora.... were you TRYING to be like paris hilton or just seeing how many beers it took before you could no longer use an apple computer? cuz until I saw that... I actually thought you were cute.
              Any point that you made is invalid because I find it hard to believe that any of our staff was as rude or offensive to you as you just were to one of us.
              perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Any point that you made is invalid because I find it hard to believe that any of our staff was as rude or offensive to you as you just were to one of us.
                Was this the douche that got his ass kicked out of the Anon panel discussion??? It's pretty bad when Priest comes after you personally to remove your sorry ass (not you Chris, the douche that had some strange obsession with penises...)

I must say, every goon I met was awesome! You guys did such a great job. It was my first time, I didn't know anyone and yet everyone from attendees to speakers to goons made sure I felt welcome and at home. Despite being a n00b, I felt like I was a welcomed addition to the community. I was sad that it was over, but it gives me something to look forward to next year! I can't wait to see my new family again!
                “Should we all confess our sins to one another we would all laugh at one another for our lack of originality” - Kahlil Gibran

"Show me a sane man, and I will cure him for you." -- Carl Jung

Comment

keep trying but no, i didnt make any scenes nor did i get into any arguments. the goons i talked to were very nice, but i witnessed less than 5 feet away other goons going wild. but the behavior i described did occur as my friends witnessed it at the same time. and i didnt say all of you were the same, just a select few. Want to know who they are, then tell us who we go to complain to during the con and you might see a few more complaints than those willing to post them here.

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                  This line negates that rest of your idea's, since it goes from "constructive criticism" to you just being a dick.
                  hardly negates, you just choose to ignore which i understand. i do apologize for taking the opportunity to vent some frustrations but this forums is a far better a place to do so than letting loose an irate mindset onto the rest of the crowd and goons alike.

Comment

Originally posted by O.M.Ref.G. View Post
                    I didn't have a problem getting in with my RC pass. Someone from DC left a stack of invites on our reg desk for us to come over. I invited some DC guys to our B&B Ball but I admit if we had had any sizable percentage of DC people show up we would have run out of space. Next year - lets organize the mixing a bit better! Let me know if I can help.

-Andrea (O.M.Ref.G.)
                    Yes.

Two years ago, I made it to your Black & Blue Ball. Super fun time. I wanted to come this year too (ah, nostalgia, back at the Riv!), but I couldn't pull myself away from Defcon Saturday night (Hacker Jeopardy, Crystal Method, HackerPimps, Jackalope, etc., -- all off the same hallway!).

Hopefully the Defcon planners are paying attention to the fact that you guys have already published your dates for next year (RollerCon US 2013: Las Vegas, July 31st – Aug 4th).

And to stick to the topic of this thread: my biggest way to make DC21 better would be to make DCTV more reliable, but I already posted about that in the DCTV thread.

Thanks to all for a great con.

- hinge

Comment

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                      This is a joke right? The was never a line for registration after 1130 - 1200 Thursday morning. The registration team and the Security goons did an outstanding job of managing the registration line this year and I believe they registered the vast majority of attendee's the first three hours of the con.
                      Agreed totally. This was my third DEFCON. The last Riviera year was a nightmare. Last year, I was in line for 2.5 hours (9:15 to 11:45). This year, 1.5 hours. When I was told that there was no lineup at 1 pm, I was shocked (but happy for those who didn't have to wait). If it keeps going along this way, I would say that registration is no longer an issue that has to be dealt with.

Comment

If anyone witnesses problems with security goons please find any other red shirt goon and ask to speak to their team lead. We have a direct power structure and we take serious complaints very seriously. If there's any incidents then please report them IMMEDIATELY. Waiting until con is over and then posting vague complaints on the internet doesn't help anyone.

Also let's keep these complaints in perspective. At the AP the lines were outdoors in 100 degree heat, sometimes during thunder storms, one year a sewer overflowed right outside the entrance to a talk. One of the talk "rooms" was actually a tent either on the roof or in the parking lot, which never cooled off. The talks also used to be cleared between every talk pissing off hundreds of people at a time.

Kids these days get full air conditioning, rooms that hold 2000 people, a proper hotel to handle problems, and a volunteer security staff that has an average of 10 years of defcon experience EACH.
                        --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

The security goons (red shirts) were a lot more sarcastic and mean this year. I know this is defcon and we tend to get away with a lot of curse words and other odd behavior, but unless these clowns are ON STAGE, they should be acting at a minimum level of "professional" regardless of their volunteer status. The people put in charge of keeping order and safety in line do not need to be making constant cracks and jokes at others' personal expense. We all have shitty jobs (at least at some point in our lives), but you are the asshole that volunteered for it, so STFU.

ps....for the wasted blonde red shirt goon playing dubstep in the hallway on sunday using nothing but pandora.... were you TRYING to be like paris hilton or just seeing how many beers it took before you could no longer use an apple computer? cuz until I saw that... I actually thought you were cute.
                          I am sorry your feelings got hurt. Find me next year - I am sure I will be alot less sarcastic after having to deal with humans making wisecracks like your last comment against my sister goon. No seriously. We should chat.

-blak

Comment

Originally posted by greatscott View Post
                            THIS. I will try to start a discussion on this for next year's planning.
                            Don't worry about it. People already have things being worked on since the day after con!
                            Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

6. Stagger the release of the tracks so the halls are not so crowded. Not sure how feasible this is, but thought I would toss it out for thought.
                              This is a good idea, and has been discussed. With the way the tracks and talks are set up, it may not be easy though.

I am sorry your feelings got hurt. Find me next year - I am sure I will be alot less sarcastic after having to deal with humans making wisecracks like your last comment against my sister goon. No seriously. We should chat.
                              Hey blak, can I be part of the conversation too?! I love chatting.
                              Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

The badge line went great this year. The only year I have seen better was Defcon 8. That says a lot!

Comment

Working...
                                X