Clear All

• "how firm is your foundation" discussion

is there any way to get the slide deck?
    I didn't see it on the DVD

Re: "how firm is your foundation" 1o57 slide deck

Originally posted by weaponsGrade View Post
    is there any way to get the slide deck?
    I didn't see it on the DVD
    I'd give it a few days till the speaker can get back into the swing of normal life. But I do fully expect it to be available.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Hacking the Hacker: How Firm Is Your Foundation

For those who missed it, I did a blog for a school assignment. Since I had a LiveScribe pen, I recorded all but the first three talks (I was not yet there).

Hacking the Hacker: How Firm Is Your Foundation? blog

My peers read this blog and absolutely agree with 1o57.
      “Should we all confess our sins to one another we would all laugh at one another for our lack of originality” - Kahlil Gibran

"Show me a sane man, and I will cure him for you." -- Carl Jung

Comment

Hacking the Hacker: How Firm Is Your Foundation?

I wrote this up for a school assignment. I hope I do not get in trouble for it, but my peers absolutely agree with 1o57. I thought they were awesome points and I hope the slides will be available soon.
        “Should we all confess our sins to one another we would all laugh at one another for our lack of originality” - Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Re: Hacking the Hacker: How Firm Is Your Foundation

Originally posted by CWB View Post
          For those who missed it, I did a blog for a school assignment. Since I had a LiveScribe pen, I recorded all but the first three talks (I was not yet there).

Hacking the Hacker: How Firm Is Your Foundation? blog

My peers read this blog and absolutely agree with 1o57.
          I would like to hear your source for "malicious codes in their badges." Are you referring to the official Def Con badges? What do you define as "malicious"?
          WUVMVEtSUktQRlJOVE9CSENLRUFIUUtR

Comment

Hacking the Hacker: How Firm Is Your Foundation?

I wrote this up for a school assignment. I hope I do not get in trouble for it, but my peers absolutely agree with 1o57. I thought they were awesome points and I hope the slides will be available soon.
            Thank you for this, CWB.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
              I would like to hear your source for "malicious codes in their badges." Are you referring to the official Def Con badges? What do you define as "malicious"?
              Certain badges if scanned would "knock out" you badge for a certain time. While there was no virus, the code would prevent your badge from functioning properly when collecting "badges" to get to the 1o57 webpage for your next clue.

From what I understand, it was to be done in a certain order (I do not know if that is true or not), but I do know from other attendees, they told me who to stay away from! LOL

I did get nailed by one goon, but other attendees told me to stay away from DT, 1o57, Tuna, and that all goons had coding that would screw up the human badges.

Comment

Thanks Ms. Witt!
                I'm presenting a talk very similar to this and the summary gives me a better understanding of how to keep my presentation organized and flowing correctly (what I was really hoping to attain from the slides pdf).

ty again

Comment

Certain badges if scanned would "knock out" you badge for a certain time. While there was no virus, the code would prevent your badge from functioning properly when collecting "badges" to get to the 1o57 webpage for your next clue.

From what I understand, it was to be done in a certain order (I do not know if that is true or not), but I do know from other attendees, they told me who to stay away from! LOL

I did get nailed by one goon, but other attendees told me to stay away from DT, 1o57, Tuna, and that all goons had coding that would screw up the human badges.
                  Ahh. This was actually a part of the badge puzzle. Without giving too much away - you had to interact with each of these badge types in order to manually collect all badges by scanning. When you say "malicious code" I think of something harmful, not desired functionality. ;)

Comment

Ahh. This was actually a part of the badge puzzle. Without giving too much away - you had to interact with each of these badge types in order to manually collect all badges by scanning. When you say "malicious code" I think of something harmful, not desired functionality. ;)
                    That is true! Perhaps I either misunderstood their badges or did not understand the puzzle or both. In looking at other forums, there were some that complained that after scanning a goon's badge or DT's, their badge did not work for hours and in some cases days. I interpreted that as a malicious code to prevent humans from advancing (as part of the puzzle).

Perhaps I used the wrong word. I will have to think about how to reword my blog so as not to make our organizations look like a bunch of buttheads! LOL Of course, that was not my intention. With any maze or puzzle, there will always be problems to be solved.

Thanks for pointing that out. I do not want to mislead my readers (actually, my main reader is my Cybersecurity professor! LOL)

Comment

Some of the teams that completed the badge challenge put write-ups online already. These could be excellent references for your paper if you like. :)

The winners: http://elegin.com/

Another group who do awesome write-ups every year: http://1o57.wikispaces.com/DC20+Badge+Contest

Comment

Some of the teams that completed the badge challenge put write-ups online already. These could be excellent references for your paper if you like. :)

The winners: http://elegin.com/

Another group who do awesome write-ups every year: http://1o57.wikispaces.com/DC20+Badge+Contest
                        The last line on the winners page alone makes it a worthwhile read.
                        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          The last line on the winners page alone makes it a worthwhile read.
                          Which one " If you're not failing you're not learning, and let me tell you we learned. "

or "I am just glad Defcon 21 is canceled. "?
                          And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                            Which one " If you're not failing you're not learning, and let me tell you we learned. "

or "I am just glad Defcon 21 is canceled. "?
                            The bigger question, are you aligned with the Brotherhood of Horus or the Set Society?

Comment

Originally posted by elegin View Post
                              The bigger question, are you aligned with the Brotherhood of Horus or the Set Society?
                              hats off to ya on the bc domination. the writeup rules

Comment

Working...
                              X