• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeess
    replied
    Re: Weaponized Drone Contest?

Originally posted by Modafinil View Post
    FYI, as I looked at backing this, it's kickSTRIKER, not kickSTARTER. Disappointed.
    Ah I wondered why it looked significantly shadier, very little actual info, no links to MIT courses, teachers, or anything else (since they claim to be from MIT).

Leave a comment:

• Modafinil
    replied

Originally posted by seeess View Post
    A quick google search came up with...[LIST][*]Kickstarter projects for DIY weaponized drones
    FYI, as I looked at backing this, it's kickSTRIKER, not kickSTARTER. Disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    replied

A few years ago we also brainstormed some stuff:

- Stealth drones (gotta take a photo/something without being detected)
    - Homing drones (give it a beer, it takes it somewhere)
    - Balloon drops

Also a non-drone "spy" game could be fun, or the assassination game.

Kallahar

Leave a comment:

• Modafinil
    replied

Originally posted by astcell View Post
    you can always simply disperse a white powdery substance from the drone as it flies along, that would get some attention.
    Most DC attendees will run from the anthrax, most of the Rio patrons will run to the cocaine.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Shooting bullets from a drone and hitting stuff is very difficult. Of course you can always simply disperse a white powdery substance from the drone as it flies along, that would get some attention.

Leave a comment:

• Modafinil
    replied

I love the idea, as scary as it might be. I'd imagine airsoft would be an acceptable substitute for live weapons, and would demonstrate the aircraft's weight-carrying abilities and capabilities as a weapons platform. I think that would allow it to be demonstrated within the normal Defcon convention location and not require people to come out to the desert - probably critical in making sure that drones get the enthusiast support they need. I also imagine it has more in common with HHV than with the DC Shoot (from the aspect of enthusiasts and skills).

The shoot is Deviant Ollam's baby, but I would be excited to share time and space with drone builders to demo live weapons, too. The open space might also be critical in demonstrating the drones capabilities in GPS navigation and target designation.

Leave a comment:

• seeess
    started a topic Weaponized Drone Contest?

Weaponized Drone Contest?

With the topic of drones coming up in the tshirt thread what does everyone think about a weaponized drone contest?

A quick google search came up with...
    Realize that most of these have come up since the last defcon and are extremely relevant, and I think would fit well at defcon.

So clearly there are a ton of safety concerns that need to be discussed in detail to make sure everyone is comfortable before something like this could take place. If it is flying with snap caps, using blanks, secondary safety mechanisms controlled by event organizers, or electronic compasses to ensure drones are pointed down range, I think those can be worked out in time.

The scoring system would have to be worked out, some people might want to build really small stealthy single shot versions, while others use jet planes or something crazy. I have a tiny little pengun like AOW being approved, but I wont have it in time for defcon. Unless a SOT in NV wants me to form 3 it to them or something.

I'll cross post this in the new ideas forum, hopefully that is allowed. I wanted everyone from here to see this idea and provide feedback since it would potentially take place after the defcon shoot.

If this is a little too nuts for defcon, how about a "more normal" shooting contest at the defcon shoot? I briefly mentioned this last year when I brought up special defcon shoot badges. I think it would be cool to hopefully (maybe) eventually be giving out black badges for a shooting contest!
Working...
X