X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kallahar
    replied
    Re: Pre-registration

Good question, are the thursday talks on the official DVD? I'm not sure.

Otherwise, blow off work :)

Kallahar

Leave a comment:

• malachai
    replied

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
    If this is your first Defcon, I highly recommend that you show up on Thursday and attend DC-101. There is a lot of stuff for first time Defcon attendee's. HighWiz puts together a great DC-101 event and the panel session is a high point for first timers as well as some of us that have been attending for years.

There is a Defcon FAQ which gives a lot of information that every first time attendee should print out, read, set aside, retrive, read, ... rinse and repeat.

Above all remember the 3-2-1 rule

3 hours of sleep, 2 means and at least one bath/shower EVERY DAY!
    This will be my first time going after many years of hearing it and watching youtube channel. Since I cant make it on Thursday because of job ... is there any way of getting this info he review or talks about?

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by DocForrest View Post
    Just out of blind curiosity and because this answer isn't in the FAQ, is it possible to purchase a day pass, or is the $180 across the board?
    There are some private events, that are not covered by the DEF CON badge.

The Toxic BBQ is an example. A badge is not even needed to attend it. In the beginning, people would bring their own stuff an contribute or share, but as time moved forward, more "free-loaders" attended, bringing absolutely nothing. To attend the Toxic BBQ, it would be nice if people contributed food or time to help each other enjoy it.

Another example? The EFF Summit Fund-raiser. It is a separate event with costs to attend.

There have been several private parties, not covered by a badge.

The DEF CON shoot is open for people to attend, but it is not a place where having a badge entitles you to shoot other people's weapons.

There are also spaces in con that are not open to regular attendees, but are open to the people running the convention, or volunteering in some other way.

Owning a badge does not entitle you to compete in any contests you want, either. Some contests have rounds of "qualifiers" long before con that you must complete before you are allowed opportunity to compete at DEF CON.

The one-time purchase badge does get you access for all 3-4 days to all of the speaker tracks (if there is room), and the vendor room (if it is not too packed) and the contest floor to observe contests when all of these are open.

For all other events, contact the people running the event to find out how you can participate or observe.

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    replied

Just one pass for everything.

Though you could buy one on sunday morning, then it would only be useful for a day. :)

Kallahar

Leave a comment:

• DocForrest
    replied

Just out of blind curiosity and because this answer isn't in the FAQ, is it possible to purchase a day pass, or is the $180 across the board?

Leave a comment:

• davien
    replied

Um... Is offering to volunteer to help with reg a constructive thing?

'Cause I would.

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    replied

(of course, defcon doesn't ever literally sell out, everyone can still get in. Obviously the souvenier badge has a lot of personal value though :))

Kallahar

Leave a comment:

• taclane
    replied

Just line up on Thursday.

I fly 8400 miles to get to DEFCON every year; I have a lot more to lose than most if I were turned away because it was sold out and even I haven't had any "man I wish there was preregistration" urges.

Leave a comment:

• Clutch
    replied

Originally posted by elkentaro View Post
    I kinda enjoyed waiting in line last year....but then again I'm weird. I had some interesting conversations with the people around me. I understand its an inconvenience but then again thats all it is , an inconvenience.

BRAVO!! Absolutely. One of the many cool things at DEFCON, you never know who you will be standing next to. I have met many wonderful and incredible people wandering around and visiting at DEFCON. The entire experience will be what you make of it. Quite frankly, it is a part of the experience. Make the most of it.

Leave a comment:

• veruus
    replied

Originally posted by spiderman View Post
    I have booked a room in the DC block but it's for Friday and Saturday nights. Are the badges limited in numbers? Seems like most people will be there already. This will be my first DC.
    If you know someone else who will be there before you, see if you can get them to buy you a badge.

Leave a comment:

• blakdayz
    replied

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
    Cotman FTW!
    +1

Leave a comment:

• DaKahuna
    replied

If this is your first Defcon, I highly recommend that you show up on Thursday and attend DC-101. There is a lot of stuff for first time Defcon attendee's. HighWiz puts together a great DC-101 event and the panel session is a high point for first timers as well as some of us that have been attending for years.

There is a Defcon FAQ which gives a lot of information that every first time attendee should print out, read, set aside, retrive, read, ... rinse and repeat.

Above all remember the 3-2-1 rule

3 hours of sleep, 2 means and at least one bath/shower EVERY DAY!

Leave a comment:

• elkentaro
    replied

I kinda enjoyed waiting in line last year....but then again I'm weird. I had some interesting conversations with the people around me. I understand its an inconvenience but then again thats all it is , an inconvenience.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Tangent
    replied

Cotman FTW!

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

There are a limited number of badges created.

Historically, once this number of badges has been sold, sales of badges changes to paper badges.

For the sake of argument, let's call the limited number of pre-made badges "first-run" and the paper badges "paper badges."

Historically, badges first go on sale on Thursday.

Historically, badges are not required for "Thursday events"

Several years ago, "first run," badges switched from laminated paper to more special items. One year, the badge was stamped piece of rectangular shiny or painted metal, and another year, a squishy toy with letters suspended in oil, and other similar , interesting badges. Then badges were made with circuit and loaded with batteries. Contests were started for people to "hack their badge" and alter it to make it do something new and different. Then there were special disk-like badges with special notches, numbers, and clues, which we part of a bigger contest which transcended more than one Defcon.

Demand is high for these "first run" badges, for a few reasons:
    * Historically, most people have not been able to participate in the badge hacking contests without a "first run" badge.
    * When participation was possible with a "paper badge" sentiment from attendees without the "first run" badges was less than stellar.
    * People seem to like the "first run" badges over a "paper badge" as a bit of proof they were at Defcon, instead of a paper badge, nearly anyone could have forged at Kinko's
    * Historically, "first run," badges have run-out, creating a perceived shortage, and as a result, creating demand.

Last year is the first year that I remember there was a surplus of "first run" badges. Any badges not sold at Defcon were then available for people to purchase online.

Because there has been a long history of running out of the "first run" badges and last year being just one recent exception to this, demand is high for a perceived shortage of "first run" badges. Lines tend to form early, and have historically "snaked" single file through the hallway.

The people that run the badge sales have a lot of experience with it, and continue to improve the process, making lines move faster, and faster, but as more people seem to attend year after year, newer ideas continue to be needed to speed the process. For recent memory, within a few hours of badge sales opening, the lines are pretty much gone.

With recent Defcon, badge sales have opened up closer to the scheduled time as Defcon matures. Many years ago, the opening of badge sales could be delayed by hours for various reasons: locating the boxes of badges, papers, lanyards, etc. for sale, or last-minute preparation/training, or need for cash-boxes to make changes, or keys to get access to spaces to make badge sales possible.

If you find a bit of "suckage" with anything at Defcon, and you think you have a better idea on how to solve the problem, please consider posting constructive criticism on how you would make Defcon better when we roll out the "post defcon" forum and have a thread asking how to make Defcon better.

If they run out of "first run" badges, historically, they then resort to "paper badges."

Historically, they have sold badges on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and even limited hours on Sunday.

If you attend BlackHat, historically, you have been able to buy a "first run" Defcon badge at the BlackHat conference. However, the link between BlackHat (USA, Las Vegas) and Defcon has become weaker and weaker, as more and more stuff between Defcon and BlackHat (USA, Las Vegas) has been separated. The "reduced price for Defcon Badges if you attend BlackHat" has become a smaller, and smaller reduced price. It will likely, eventually, be the same price for BlackHat people to attend Defcon as BlackHat. (In the past, some money paid by BH (BlackHat) people attending BH has gone to pay for some of the Defcon badge they buy at BH. This means the reduced rate that BH people pay is as a result of the high cost they pay for BH including money towards lowering the cost of their Defcon badge, if they choose to buy one. I don't know if Defcon badges will be cheaper for BH people this year. Check with BH to find out.)

Best advice:
    * Until there is a trend of "not running out of badges" if you want a "first run" badge instead of a paper badge, show up early, or at least show up when the line is first scheduled to open.
    * Arrive with exact change. Most ATM spit out $20. Last time I read, DC21 badges cost $180. Arrive with a single $100 bill and four $20 bills, or nine $20 bills.
    * If you plan to buy 10 badges, try to have bills ready in the largest form to minimize counting. Example" you want 10 badges, then have $1,800 in $100 bills so they only have to count to "18" when counting your cash.
    * If there is a goon near the front of the line for badge sales, pay attention to them and their directions.
    * Pay attention at the front of the line to when you should advance to buy your badge(s)
    * Avoid using your cell phone (talking, data, etc) when at the front of the line
    * Avoid asking questions unrelated to badge sales when you are buying your badge:
    * Asking "where is blah blah?" ruins the process for everyone else.
    * Ask your questions at the information booths, or "RTFM" -- you will have a program that should answer most questions about where things are located.
    * Have your money ready when you are near the front of the line.
    * Be patient, and expect delays.
    * Understand that a large majority of people working at Defcon are volunteers
    * If you have a question, there are "Information Booths" sprinkled around con: go up and ask a question
    * "Security Goons" primary job is not to answer questions, but if you have something urgent, you can try asking a security goon a question. Historically, these have been people in red shirts, often seen at lines, in hallways, and at doors to villages, or speaker tracks.
    * If a security goon directs you to "make a hole" they are asking for you to make space in a hallway, or space where there is need to use that space. There may be an emergency, or need to transport something large, related to making Defcon work.
    * Avoid gathering and socializing in hallways: find a room, village, contest floor, or other space like a chill-out room to socialize.
    * All things tend towards chaos unless energy is applied to keep them organized:
    * Though it happens a smaller percent of the time, things can change at the last minute
    * If the thing you want to attend has moved, understand the paper printed program is a guideline. Expect the unexpected, and follow signs and updates.
    * If you have a smartphone capable of running a twitter client, follow key Defcon people for updates in areas that interest you. Some/many villages, contests, etc. have their own twitter feeds, and are likely to be the FIRST to know if they will be moved in space and/or time, and will probably announce these changes in their feed. Some examples:
    * https://twitter.com/_defcon_ tends to retweet many updates, but nobody can keep up with all updates for all things defcon.
    * https://twitter.com/thedarktangent for obvious reasons
    * https://twitter.com/Niki7a for updates about room location updates, and some retweets
    * https://twitter.com/dcib (Defcon Information Booth)
    * Then there are feeds for specific events like the Hardware hacking Village, DC101, and organizers of these with their own twitter feeds.

Read the FAQ:
    * https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc-faq/dc-faq.html (official)
    * http://defcon.stotan.org/faq/ (unofficial)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X