X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeess
    replied
    Re: LasExpress transportation discount email from Nikita

No harm, no foul. I was just racking my brain trying to figure out how an email address I keep away from being associated with defcon was used in an email about defcon, and the reason in the disclaimer for being on the list didn't make sense to me. I had an idea about why I was on the list after my initial post that you confirmed for me thanks.

I put in a half assed effort, searching the forums for "lasexpress" and tried PM'ing you. Next time I'll check twitter.

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
    As I told another, #DEFCON #Paranoid go well together.
    My personal philosophy is you can never be too paranoid at defcon, but yes they do.

Leave a comment:

• Snapshot
    replied

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
    I don't take PM's on the forums, but anyone is welcome to email me or tweet at me. I found forum messages just sat there getting unread by me, or were just solicitation for a number of annoyances. :-)

Also, I'm a she. :-)
    Good to know.

I think the confusion / additional paranoia may have arisen partly from the last part of the e-mail "***This email is coming to you because you are on our registered delegate or speaker list, ..." – I didn't think of myself as a delegate but on further consideration it is almost the same as "attendee". Maybe the explanation about "having reserved a room in the DefCOn block..." could have been in the e-mail. Also, the last part of the e-mail indicates "... replies to this email will not be monitored" which doesn't encourage recipients to seek clarification from the sender.

Anyway I appreciate the heads up, the link and the twitter / forum reassurance, hopefully this will work out for those of us that need to get between the airport and the hotel.

Snapshot

Leave a comment:

• Nikita
    replied

Originally posted by seeess View Post

(I was just going to PM nikita, but he doesnt accept PMs so I'm posting here)
    I don't take PM's on the forums, but anyone is welcome to email me or tweet at me. I found forum messages just sat there getting unread by me, or were just solicitation for a number of annoyances. :-)

Also, I'm a she. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Nikita
    replied

Well on twitter I tried to clarify ( as posted by Matir) I've also been good at replying to people who reach out to me to ask. The list did come from the hotel as those listed on the DEF CON group rate. Our hotel liaison, the Rio, and I are the ONLY People who have that list, and we are not sharing it with any outside companies, etc. That's the only email like that that'd you'd be getting. Actually, I doubt we will ever do something like that again it was just a fairly good offer for a direct scuttlebutt to the Rio.

The guy who runs it, happens to be a guy we hired for our private security for many years, we don't get anything out of it, but he was a pretty standup guy so just sharing the deal. :-) Goons will remember who I'm talking about, We often referred to him as "the Wolf" because he was a spitting image of Winston The Wolf, especially in his suit.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz...wgkdo1_500.png

Agent X must've been out during the con call when all the Dept. Heads talked about it. No big deal whatsoever, I get it, it's a tad out of character for me to send those types of messages, but I did try to be clear in my email what was up and in my disclaimer section in the bottom.

As I told another, #DEFCON #Paranoid go well together.

Leave a comment:

• Matir
    replied

According to the DEFCON twitter account, the emails came from the list of people who booked via the DEFCON room block at the Rio: https://twitter.com/_defcon_/status/360999514175324162

Leave a comment:

• seeess
    replied

Originally posted by Agent X View Post
    THis sounds sketchy, do you have URL? and that rate doesn't actually sound that good.
    http://lasrescenter.hudsonltd.net/re...N2013&LOGON=GO

I haven't visited it, but thinking about this more I did give that email to the rio hotel for registration as part of the defcon block. Maybe defcon has a deal to inform guests about trip deals? I wouldn't consider me part of a "registered delegate" list because I booked a room at the rio. Or maybe someone got that DB and is spoofing nikita@defcon.org ?

Leave a comment:

• Agent X
    replied

THis sounds sketchy, do you have URL? and that rate doesn't actually sound that good.

Leave a comment:

• seeess
    started a topic LasExpress transportation discount email from Nikita

LasExpress transportation discount email from Nikita

Did anyone else get an email from Nikita about LasExpress transportation deal ($20 rides from the airport to rio)? It says at the bottom that...

This email is coming to you because you are on our registered delegate or speaker list
    I found it a little strange because I'm curious how my email address got on that list since I can't remember ever giving it out during defcon, and I've never been a speaker or in a contest.

Can anyone fill me in on what the "registered delegate" list is or how someone gets on it?

I don't need to be taken off or anything, I'm just trying to figure out how/when/to who I leaked my email, and if I can blame alcohol.

(I was just going to PM nikita, but he doesnt accept PMs so I'm posting here)
Working...
X