Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contests, Events, Parties, Social Gatherings: Are you planning to bring it to DC22?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contests, Events, Parties, Social Gatherings: Are you planning to bring it to DC2

I did get confirmation about the change in ownership of Project 2 and the plans to bring it back, but forgot to change the forum for it from closed/hidden to open and visible.

I received a PM earlier today, letting me know about this, and I have fixed this. The forum should now be visible and open for posting.

Sorry about that,
    -Cot

Project 2
    Originally posted by description
    A drop-in puzzle contest for novice to advanced individuals or teams who don't want to commit to doing a contest for the whole con. (site)

Comment

Re: Contests, Events, Parties, Social Gatherings: Are you planning to bring it to DC2

have no public reference, but Eris says that the "DEF CON Short Story Contest" is set to return.

Forum created:

https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=796
      Name: DEF CON Short Story Contest
      Originally posted by Description
      RTFR inside and submit to us a short story. The topic may be of your choosing so long as it meets the guidelines in the rules. Read threads inside for more information

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        [chop]
        Pyr0 has a tweet from a few weeks back saying that he is expecting the RFI process for Contests and Events to get approval for use of DEF CON resources like space, power, program, services would be in January. When I find out about the opening of the RFI, I'll email all of you by your forum-registered email addresses a notice of the process, he and his team will announce.

URL1 = https://twitter.com/lmcomie/status/414138115477868544
        An update: Yes, January has ended and there is no published RFI yet, but he and his team are working on it. A private reply notified me he would like to get an official announcement some time in February but possibly March, depending on $things_to_get_done . No need to bug him about the January date.

Hope this helps,
        -Cot
        Last edited by TheCotMan; February 5, 2014, 19:09.

Comment

Crash and Compile will be back
          perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Comment

Last night, sitting around the table with Kos, Hackajar, and Jen (and aided by appropriate beverages) we came up with a couple good ideas for wholly unofficial contests and games. Even in the stark light of sobriety, I approve of them.

Submitted here for discussion (mods, please move this if brainstorming/discussion should take place outside of this main list thread)

Release the Kraken - I'm thinking about taking this image and photoshopping Jack Janiel's face and beard on there for a contest image. The premise is simple: a display case bears a bottle of Kraken Rum. It is locked with a rather specially-prepared padlock that one of our electronic experts in the Locksport world has modified. Teams of any size get five minutes to work together, attempting to get the lock open. If they do, they get the bottle of rum (which gets replaced from a small reserve stock)

If they get the bottle, it's theirs to keep. Or if they don't and time is up, they clear the area and the lock is checked. Another team moves into place and the process starts anew. I won't reveal too much but suffice it to say that other teams watching the competition won't gain too much of an advantage, I believe.

If a team gets the lock open, suffice it to say, they will be obligated to resoundingly all shout "release the Kraken!" when they open the bottle. :-)

Moose Dial - Named due to the way that moose and other high game animals bash together during rutting season, etc. The game is simple: two people, each with unbroken but perhaps older mobile device, place them in their palms and perform a strong high-five, bashing the phone together. The goal: seeing which of the devices manages to shatter its screen. Cracking the glass is not sufficient... the display itself must break. Why do this? The game would be sponsored by someone who is donating new devices. The person who manages to break their phone gets a new one (sent to them after the con... it means you experience DEFCON without your mobile phone on you all the time, heh).

If no phones break during the slap? Both parties drink and try again. Keep repeating until one phone breaks. If both phones break simultaneously? Each player gets a $100 bill (to encourage everyone always going balls-out in their slap)

Why do this? Heh, that's harder to answer... something about encouraging folk to do without their phones at DEFCON and rewarding them for bravery by giving them a new device. Jokes about the English schoolchildren's game conkers were part of this discussion, too. ;-)

... maybe i'm nuts, but this just strikes me as old-school DEFCON style hijinks. back in the Pool Two, Stab Tag, GTE Van Door kind of days. Perhaps i'm just being nostalgic or an old coot.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by krux View Post
              Crash and Compile will be back
              Forum created:
              https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=797

Description copied from last year with same links:
              Coding, compiling, competition, consumption (of alcohol) -- think of the fun! (site), (twitter.)

site: http://crashandcompile.com/
              twitter: https://twitter.com/CrashAndCompile
              Last edited by TheCotMan; March 3, 2014, 18:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                Last night, sitting around the table with Kos, Hackajar, and Jen (and aided by appropriate beverages) we came up with a couple good ideas for wholly unofficial contests and games. Even in the stark light of sobriety, I approve of them.

Submitted here for discussion (mods, please move this if brainstorming/discussion should take place outside of this main list thread)

Release the Kraken - I'm thinking about taking this image and photoshopping Jack Janiel's face and beard on there for a contest image. The premise is simple: a display case bears a bottle of Kraken Rum. It is locked with a rather specially-prepared padlock that one of our electronic experts in the Locksport world has modified. Teams of any size get five minutes to work together, attempting to get the lock open. If they do, they get the bottle of rum (which gets replaced from a small reserve stock)

If they get the bottle, it's theirs to keep. Or if they don't and time is up, they clear the area and the lock is checked. Another team moves into place and the process starts anew. I won't reveal too much but suffice it to say that other teams watching the competition won't gain too much of an advantage, I believe.

If a team gets the lock open, suffice it to say, they will be obligated to resoundingly all shout "release the Kraken!" when they open the bottle. :-)

Moose Dial - Named due to the way that moose and other high game animals bash together during rutting season, etc. The game is simple: two people, each with unbroken but perhaps older mobile device, place them in their palms and perform a strong high-five, bashing the phone together. The goal: seeing which of the devices manages to shatter its screen. Cracking the glass is not sufficient... the display itself must break. Why do this? The game would be sponsored by someone who is donating new devices. The person who manages to break their phone gets a new one (sent to them after the con... it means you experience DEFCON without your mobile phone on you all the time, heh).

If no phones break during the slap? Both parties drink and try again. Keep repeating until one phone breaks. If both phones break simultaneously? Each player gets a $100 bill (to encourage everyone always going balls-out in their slap)

Why do this? Heh, that's harder to answer... something about encouraging folk to do without their phones at DEFCON and rewarding them for bravery by giving them a new device. Jokes about the English schoolchildren's game conkers were part of this discussion, too. ;-)

... maybe i'm nuts, but this just strikes me as old-school DEFCON style hijinks. back in the Pool Two, Stab Tag, GTE Van Door kind of days. Perhaps i'm just being nostalgic or an old coot.

You know the drill on this, but I'll state it for others that might ask:
                New contests/events needing DEF CON resources need to go through Pyr0's Department (Contests/Events) to make sure resources needed are available and distributed.

He and his team have been using a web-based system for people to submit new or returning contests/events. He has planned for a Jan. RFI for organizers, but like me, life had other plans, and too many other things required attention.

Latest on when the RFI will be available was discussed on twitter:

https://twitter.com/lmcomie/status/439891990411350016

Summary: He is working on the RFI site for DEF CON Contests/Events "now" and plans to have something up this month, soon.

HTH,
                -Cot

Comment

Was announced on twitter:

URL1=https://twitter.com/Queercon/status/440635694206042113
                  Originally posted by URL1
                  Queercon ‏@Queercon
                  For all those wondering Yes we will have a room block at the Palms again this year. Details should be out this week so stay tuned #defcon
                  From this announced intention to return, I've created a forum copying info from last year:
                  QueerCon
                  Open to everyone, but goaled to including GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered) Hackers at Defcon-- its a party within Defcon! (site) , (facebook) , (twitter)

Comment

I have an idea I have wanted to do. I tested it out at CoonCon8.0 and it was a hit after a little fine tuning

The user needs a laptop with Internet connection and access to www.google.com/ncr for this. Anyone can play who understands simple directions and follows the rules. Net speed is unimportant.

Players pair up. We can have 20 or 2,000. I pull two Scrabble tiles from a bag, then I pull from another container a random noun/subject. For example let's say I pulled H and N, and the subject was FOOD.

The two players google two unrelated words that start with the pulled letters which fall under the given subject. English accepted words only, no hyphenations or dual words (hot dogs). The topic is VERY broad and creativity is encouraged. For this example, an acceptable entry is Heifer Nachos. This gets 520,000 hits (I am doing this live now). Using heifers nachos lowers the hits to 512,000. Now the partner is not as creative and chooses Halibut Nectarine. This has 3.14 million hits so the second person is eliminated and the winner advanced to complete with another user who won in another pair challenge. So all along the way you only have to beat your partner, not everyone. A single round takes about 60-90 seconds.

If there is an odd number of users then the odd man out plays against a gaming staff member (like the kid in school who always got the teacher as partner). Lose and you are out, win and you justy back into the pairing. When we are down to 2 or 3 players we have the best 2/3 or 3/5 respectively, and the winner gets a prize for the lowest googling hit score of the game.

The game goes very fast and is illuminating to all players, at least it was when I ran it once. maybe it needs fine tuning. What do you think? What would a good prize be? Think anyone would be interested?

Comment

Neil mentioned in a space I can't cite that the DEF CON Artwork Contest will return to DEF CON 22.
                      I've made a forum for it: https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=799

More info should be coming soon from Neil on this.

Thanks!

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                      I have an idea I have wanted to do. I tested it out at CoonCon8.0 and it was a hit after a little fine tuning

The user needs a laptop with Internet connection and access to www.google.com/ncr for this. Anyone can play who understands simple directions and follows the rules. Net speed is unimportant.

Players pair up. We can have 20 or 2,000. I pull two Scrabble tiles from a bag, then I pull from another container a random noun/subject. For example let's say I pulled H and N, and the subject was FOOD.

The two players google two unrelated words that start with the pulled letters which fall under the given subject. English accepted words only, no hyphenations or dual words (hot dogs). The topic is VERY broad and creativity is encouraged. For this example, an acceptable entry is Heifer Nachos. This gets 520,000 hits (I am doing this live now). Using heifers nachos lowers the hits to 512,000. Now the partner is not as creative and chooses Halibut Nectarine. This has 3.14 million hits so the second person is eliminated and the winner advanced to complete with another user who won in another pair challenge. So all along the way you only have to beat your partner, not everyone. A single round takes about 60-90 seconds.

If there is an odd number of users then the odd man out plays against a gaming staff member (like the kid in school who always got the teacher as partner). Lose and you are out, win and you justy back into the pairing. When we are down to 2 or 3 players we have the best 2/3 or 3/5 respectively, and the winner gets a prize for the lowest googling hit score of the game.

The game goes very fast and is illuminating to all players, at least it was when I ran it once. maybe it needs fine tuning. What do you think? What would a good prize be? Think anyone would be interested?
                      Such a game would be ripe for exploitation by those with good vocabularies, so the hackability of it is present. There could also be OOB hacking methods to increase chances of winning, which might be considered cheating, but if not explicitly against the rules, would likely have to be allowed. :-)

Because of all of these, there is an opportunity for this to be an interesting contest, but the unknown quantity is number of people interested in playing. Have you found many interested in playing yet? I know we are still many months away from DEF CON, but I'm still asking.

-Cot

Comment

Be the Match registry drive will be back this year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Grendel View Post
                          Be the Match registry drive will be back this year as well.
                          Forum created:

https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=800

Description and links copied forward from last year.

Comment

All of the contests and events above this point that have forums and contacts have been sent an email from defconforums@gmail.com letting them know the RFI is now open.

Tweet from Hackajar on this:

https://twitter.com/hackajar/status/450382331933519872
                            " http://defcne.net/ DEF CON Contests & Events RFI now open!! "

Now that the RFI is open, any NEW contest or events, and existing contests or events planning to return, should submit their information.

The grace period I offer organizers to let me know about their returning contest/event is now concluded for this year. Get your info submitted to Pyr0 and his team, and once approved, I can make a forum for your contest or even.

If you have a new idea for a new contest or event, now is the time to submit it to Pyr0 and his team. Submit your info early so any issues can be addressed early, rather than later, when it may not be possible.

Comment

Working...
                            X