• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Re: DC Shoot Firearms Trust

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    So, i'll say right off the bat that this is likely to be monstrously adventurous. However, it's a conversation I'd like to have here to get input from folk.

Every so often, folk in the community have to sell something off. We all hate to see firearms wind up in the hands of others (unless we know the recipients and know they'll take care of things) and for that reason I'm going to solicit thoughts and ideas on how to create a little something something...

The DC Shoot Firearms Trust - Many of us know about Living Trusts and such which can be used to make ownership of Title-II firearms a lot easier. However, there is no need for something to be full-auto or NFA to be in a Trust. I'm open to the idea of setting up a Trust that could take ownership of donated/sold/inherited/etc items with the aim of:

* Providing an avenue for hackers who want to sell their guns to keep them in the community
    * Providing an escape salvation avenue for people in legal trouble who would have to surrender their guns
    * Being a source of a lot of hardware that would show up at all future DEFCON Shoots

... let me be clear, this is not just some notion by which i get a lot of free guns or something. If we set this up, there would be a full Board or controlling party who oversees the trust and who monitors budget, etc. All financials would be publicly-disclosed and decisions about what to acquire or not would be handled by vote.

This thread might turn into a whole discussion about all the ways that this is a bad idea. I'm fine with that. I'd welcome it.

But given the fact that the DEFCON Shoot is likely to be something I keep doing long after I've stepped back from most other things I run at DEFCON ever summer, I am looking into ways to increase how it serves the community.
    Steps to organize your trust on the forums is fine, but nothing specific about models available for exchange , sale, donation, trade on the forums. All of these are too close to making the forums into a comercialized social network or party to a transaction. Once formed, no announcements of trust availability, just like we don't want people posting ads from amazon about their latest book. Answering questions about the trust (not about specific inventory or specific weapons) on the forums is probably fine. Including a link in your sig to a trust web site is also probably ok. It is also probably ok for you to include a comment about the trust in posts that describe the DC Shoot, signup process, and more as a part of the many things that take place with the shoot, and to help people with enjoying use of firearms. Encourage anyone interested in the trust on the forums to not post in public any questions about specific inventory. Maybe they could use PM, or you could exchange email and take discussions off the forums.

It would make my life much easier if we had a forum specifically for advertising, then I wouldn't be the guy squashing speech. (This idea has been proposed before, and is always voted down.) It feels wrong to be one of the people that decides "oh, this is 'acceptable' advertising, but this other thing, 'is not approved by the collective," but that is what we have. Our democracy of opinion has told us by example what is "too commercial" and not acceptable, so as a rule given to us by our many members and peers, we do our best to try to decide what "our people" would want to know about, and what they would consider spam; and every decision made is "wrong" in someone's eyes.

Any other mod/admin is free to counter or refine the above comment if they have other thoughts. I am fine with arguing in public or private with them, and good arguments and reasons to support them could change my mind. Lack of response likely indicates their agreement or lack of strong disagreement.

I applaud the stated reasons you have for creating a trust. Good luck!

-Cot
    Last edited by TheCotMan; April 7, 2014, 14:12.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    started a topic DC Shoot Firearms Trust

DC Shoot Firearms Trust

So, i'll say right off the bat that this is likely to be monstrously adventurous. However, it's a conversation I'd like to have here to get input from folk.

Every so often, folk in the community have to sell something off. We all hate to see firearms wind up in the hands of others (unless we know the recipients and know they'll take care of things) and for that reason I'm going to solicit thoughts and ideas on how to create a little something something...

The DC Shoot Firearms Trust - Many of us know about Living Trusts and such which can be used to make ownership of Title-II firearms a lot easier. However, there is no need for something to be full-auto or NFA to be in a Trust. I'm open to the idea of setting up a Trust that could take ownership of donated/sold/inherited/etc items with the aim of:

* Providing an avenue for hackers who want to sell their guns to keep them in the community
    * Providing an escape salvation avenue for people in legal trouble who would have to surrender their guns
    * Being a source of a lot of hardware that would show up at all future DEFCON Shoots

... let me be clear, this is not just some notion by which i get a lot of free guns or something. If we set this up, there would be a full Board or controlling party who oversees the trust and who monitors budget, etc. All financials would be publicly-disclosed and decisions about what to acquire or not would be handled by vote.

This thread might turn into a whole discussion about all the ways that this is a bad idea. I'm fine with that. I'd welcome it.

But given the fact that the DEFCON Shoot is likely to be something I keep doing long after I've stepped back from most other things I run at DEFCON ever summer, I am looking into ways to increase how it serves the community.
Working...
X