Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeLviN
    replied
    IRL i studied for 4 years as an english major.
    this is the forum, not a buisness desk. i (we) just don't care.

so stop acting like a bitchy little prick and shut the fuck up about the way everyone types!

go away and die!

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    My peeve is the folks who do not know the difference between 99 cents and .99 cents.
    I love that peeve, I have it installed as well..

Leave a comment:

• begformore
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    My peeve is the folks who do not know the difference between 99 cents and .99 cents.
    I had a similar problem when demanding 50,000.00 US dollars from a couple of Albanians. :(

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kampf
    replied
    I constantly correct grammar in IRC, much to the dismay of those poor people whose brains aren't wired quite right for proper written communications.

It's just a peeve, but a genuine one.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    though we have to agree that buag users are too barbaric..

Leave a comment:

• TwinVega
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwave
    when all else fails draw pictures... didn't you know a picture is worth a thousand words ?
    Hmm, picture huh? Good idea...you won't even have to try and spell all of the thousand words right...of course you kind of need to know how to draw. Pictionary anyone?

Leave a comment:

• sparkles
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwave
    when all else fails draw pictures... didn't you know a picture is worth a thousand words ?

goes to get the crayons...

Leave a comment:

• /<3.
    replied
    Originally posted by octalpussy
    In Texas, students are required to pass a standardized test before they are allowed to graduate. It is not a high school equivalency exam. The last test had a knowledge base of about an 8th grade level. This year, a new test is being implemented. This new one is "significantly harder", but I still doubt it gives a true indication of students that deserve to be handed a diploma. Based on a pre-test last spring, passing rates were expected to be around 17-38%. After that news was released, this bomb was dropped..
    Same here in Ontario
    In grade 10 u have to take the test
    If u dont pass the test before grade 12 you don't graduate = (
    I passed the first time so i am good

anyways in Ontario its called the Literacy Test
    Its about 3 days long

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Poor grammar gives a bad image of you, no matter how well intended your message is, it will be lost or dismissed by the receiver. The same for people who swear fluently, they are given less credibility.

We have spell checkers and even a thesaurus in software today!

Leave a comment:

• begformore
    replied
    Originally posted by ck3k
    My view on grammar is "if it gets the message across that is all that maters".
    Bad grammar is a barrier to fluid conversation.

It's like speaking with a person with a heavy stutter. Bless their poor souls, but I don't have the patience to listen to them speak for 5 minutes when a 'normal' speaking person could communicate the same thought in 1 minute.

"Getting the message across" doesn't have any meaning when the receiver has already stopped trying to comprehend that message.

I'm not that great at grammar either, but I take the time to spell check and proof-read my comments in consideration of the reader.

Its content not apperance. I also know that my grammar sucks, but I quit caring what other people think a long time ago.
    If you aren't considerate of your readers, they won't care about what you have to say either.

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    My view on grammar is "if it gets the message across that is all that maters". Its content not apperance. I also know that my grammar sucks, but I quit caring what other people think a long time ago.
    That's just it. That kid's writing was so poor, the message WASN'T getting across. Blackwave tried to take a guess at what he was saying, but it was pretty damn incoherent.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    My view on grammar is "if it gets the message across that is all that maters". Its content not apperance. I also know that my grammar sucks, but I quit caring what other people think a long time ago.

I agree with you to an extent. Getting the point across is most important. Though posting in this environment or any online environment can be a way to enhance yourself for academic situations. It's like anything you do in life, the more you work at it, the better you get.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Re: Re: Death of Language

Originally posted by Chris
    Dude...if you are gonna lay the smack down on grammar...at least use proper grammar in your smack down.

I agree that the grammar and spelling used here is often poor, but I try to remember that not everyone on this board is a native English speaker. They probably do a better job of speaking our language than we do of theirs.

I said in my post that my grammar is not the best. However, it was an honest question to people. What kind of standardized testing do they give today? What are the requirements to be "passed along". I didn't think I was laying the smack down, but if I came across that way, so be it. I tried to do the best job I can in correcting my own grammar. If someone see's something wrong with my sentence structure (I am notorious for short choppy ones) then by all means tell me. It will hopefully help me down the line.
    Last edited by ; December 19, 2002, 02:53.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X