Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

presentation topics you'd like to see covered this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by russ
    That's a big topic right now. The CEO of lindows.com has $200k on the line to the first entity that can hack an xBox and turn it into a linux box...
    here are the links for anyone interested to read more...

--2 & 3 January 2003 Lindows.com CEO Admits He's Behind Xbox Hack
    Contest
    Michael Robertson, founder of Lindows.com, says he is behind a contest
    offering $200,000 to the first successful hack of Microsoft's Xbox
    console. The challenge emerged anonymously in July 2002. Robertson
    says he posed the challenge because he believes restricting access
    to the machine's processor "sets a dangerous precedent."
    http://news.com.com/2100-1040-978957.html
    http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,57052,00.html

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    xboxing

it is intersting how M$ puts out the xbox and basically has the gamers and embedded hackers jack with it, then take all the data and remake it so that it is no longer in the same way jackable... this console is evolving rapidly.... I was planning to get mine modded until I had heard that the current xboxes are 1. different than the first wave, 2. if a modded xbox is found on the xbox live network it is banned from live forever, no matter if the mod is later removed... which makes it a bitch for someone reselling and buying on on ebay to get a legit unmodded xbox for their live online system. Surely M$ has created a few mutant boxes running various oses for various purposes, and figuring out ways to stomp this before it hits the consumers... they certainly have lost a lot of money in the console system department, but perhaps they can write it off as r&d....

In case anyone wants to install debian on their xbox, I have yet to try this... I am waiting for 0 config and 0 changes required to the console, such as a bootable cd, etc.
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/imageserve...als/pdf/03.pdf

Something neat for the xbox hacking would be to create an interface for a keyboard and mouse that does not require the xbox to be modified in any way...

Another neat thing would be to find a practical way to circumvent their live detection schemes from detecting anything not wanting to be found (such as a mod)... (and without violating any fux0red laws)

Also how to backup the drive contents on the xbox hard disk via the xbox NIC.

Leave a comment:

• TwinVega
    replied
    The XBOX thing is a great idea, I personally would love to turn my XBOX into something more useful, or less useful, as long as it's different.....
    But the Cooking With BAWLS would be a very good idea in my opinion, they should have some samples....lots of "samples"...

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    Originally posted by c0nv3r9
    I would drop everything to hop into a talk on XBox hacking... I know DC phonehome was one thing, but between XBox Live, and the fact that its games are coded in an unprotected memory space could make for thousands of little hack holes around the world... not to mention the ones that have been mod'd with ftp servers, linux, and the like
    That's a big topic right now. The CEO of lindows.com has $200k on the line to the first entity that can hack an xBox and turn it into a linux box...

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    I'd like to see some stuff on hacking everyday stuff...TiVO, Universal Remotes, XBOX, hell...the ice maker in your fridge.
    I would drop everything to hop into a talk on XBox hacking... I know DC phonehome was one thing, but between XBox Live, and the fact that its games are coded in an unprotected memory space could make for thousands of little hack holes around the world... not to mention the ones that have been mod'd with ftp servers, linux, and the like

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    We need a Defon Alien Autopsy. We can use Blackwave. Or anyone who cheats at Wardriving.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by mfreeck
    I second this. I'd really like to see more stuff on hardware hacking, both newbie and advanced.
    yeah me too

Leave a comment:

• mfreeck
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    Presentations on getting shit that you find in your everyday life to do stuff that it wasn't designed to do.
    I second this. I'd really like to see more stuff on hardware hacking, both newbie and advanced.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Maybe we can turn a computer into a bicycle.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    I'd like to see some stuff on hacking everyday stuff...TiVO, Universal Remotes, XBOX, hell...the ice maker in your fridge. Presentations on getting shit that you find in your everyday life to do stuff that it wasn't designed to do. Kind of along the lines of the article Ming wrote in the Program last year where he mentioned the Wright brothers taking stuff they had in their Bike shop and turning it into an airplane.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    New Defcon Talks Topics

How to turn your old 1200 baud modem into a satellite receiver

Catapults and your old 286 computer

Where to find big penis jpegs to post on the boards

Do Feds get laid?

Cooking with Bawls

Finding naked pictures of your Mom on the Internet

Electronics that work in the pool (guest Peter Shipley)

DOS and Dont's

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    <rant>
    Do something technical.... We have enough people not teaching new ideas. I need fresh. I want to learn something. I want to be "wow'd"....

Turn up the heat... don't regurgitate something from a Foundstone books. Delve deep into a system in order to gain a higher understanding of how it works, why it works or doesn't work, and how we can break it or fix it.

Sure, there have to be newbie sessions... but if you want to stand out in the crowd... MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!

</rant>

Leave a comment:

• Dented-Halo
    replied
    so far it seems no one has directly tackled my potential topic, so im gonna keep it close to me till end of february :)

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Re: presentation topics you'd like to see covered this year?

Originally posted by Dented-Halo
    I'm thinking of doing a presentation at this years defcon, allready have a decent idea of what I want to do based on several other presentations I did last year around the country. Just have to de-corporatize it, and alter it to the theme of defcon.
    What is your idea? :)

Leave a comment:

• presentation topics you'd like to see covered this year?

I'm thinking of doing a presentation at this years defcon, allready have a decent idea of what I want to do based on several other presentations I did last year around the country. Just have to de-corporatize it, and alter it to the theme of defcon.

So what would others here on the board like to see in regards to someone standing up and doing a presentation/talk at a somewhat decent/technical/indepth manner?

What are some good topics that will be relevant to 2003? What has not been covered much? What needs more attention?
Working...
X