• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another video game thread

Has anyone played with: There Inc. http://www.there.com/

I read a Wired article regarding There Inc. here:
    Startup Begat Virtual Universe
    http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,57130,00.html

It would be interesting to hear feedback on yet another attempt to virtualize real life... really.

Looks very sims-ish.. I will have to check it out though. I'll be sold on virtual universe games once they achieve "13th floor" caliber. Until then there is more than enough of real life to really enjoy and explore in a real setting with real people, in real situations, that express real things that are real.
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

yes the article mentions:
      "The difference is Sims online is essentially a game. There is not," said Tom Melcher, There's chief executive. "There is a place. In Sims, you're driven by game motives. You have hunger, comfort, a bladder and energy. In There, you're driven by relationships."
      a while ago I used to play around on a few 3d virtual avatar systems, they were pretty cool... though laggy even on a decent connection...

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
        yes the article mentions:

a while ago I used to play around on a few 3d virtual avatar systems, they were pretty cool... though laggy even on a decent connection...
        I used to use a program called Worlds Chat.... now owned by David Bowie. Was VERY cool.

Anyway, I've contacted the "There marketing dept" to see if we can work something out to have them at Defcon for attendees to use during talks, etc. No answer yet, just emailed them yesterday. But was going to let them sell subscriptions while they were there and get some marketing out of it.

I'll let you know what I find out. I also applied for the beta....

Comment

I signed up for the Public Beta, and had to do it again because the machine i'd registered on didn't have an adequate video card (Intel 845).

Hopefully they'll let me in with my laptop, a P4 with GF4...

It does look interesting in a non-game way.
          #ut2600 / #dc-forums | EFNet

Comment

Looks like the sims, Graphics look the same
            Looks intresting thou, Dont wanna Sign up thou, I dont really like "Real life time games" If this was a shoot them up, I would Sign up = )

hmm i think i sign yup, See what everyone sees in these games
            wont hurt giving it a try
            Last edited by BiZaR; January 9, 2003, 14:51.

Comment

I tend to stay with mindless killing games..makes life easier.."Oh no! My sims charater is pregnant! what do i do?!" just not my bag..

Comment

Originally posted by BiZaR
                Looks like the sims, Graphics look the same
                Looks intresting thou, Dont wanna Sign up thou, I dont really like "Real life time games" If this was a shoot them up, I would Sign up = )

hmm i think i sign yup, See what everyone sees in these games
                wont hurt giving it a try
                The graphics are supposed to be the same as those on Myst... which would say it's not anything at all like Sims.

Comment

I signed up to see what it would be like... ill let you know when and if i get invited to join them in their test run. Im curious... :)

Comment

All the cool stuff happens when I'm sleeping... I should sleep more.

==========

I am delighted to let you know that you’ve been selected as one of the very first public beta testers of There! Congratulations!

Just follow these easy steps and you'll be ready to log in to There:

Comment

Re: yet another video game thread

Originally posted by blackwave
                      Has anyone played with: There Inc. http://www.there.com/

I read a Wired article regarding There Inc. here:
                      Startup Begat Virtual Universe
                      http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,57130,00.html

It would be interesting to hear feedback on yet another attempt to virtualize real life... really.
                      I just got approved for the beta and I DL'd the software. I'll test it out today and let you know what I think. They still haven't responded to me, but I'm beginning to think that isn't such a bad thing. Their requirements are pretty steep and I'd assume that MOST people at DC won't have the latest greatest video, CPU, RAM, hardware required to run THERE.

Anyway, more to follow.

Comment

bummer we have to wait until 8pm PST... oh well, I have contructive things to do til then :)

Comment

i'm just waiting for ps2 sims. i havn't played any of the sims saga yet.

not a huge gamer...
                          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
                            i'm just waiting for ps2 sims. i havn't played any of the sims saga yet.

not a huge gamer...
                            I wouldn't get too excited, you may like it for about a week, then it's a waste of time.(My opinion)
                            Where's the dedication?

Comment

i've heard it has an extremly high addiction rate...
                              the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Working...
                              X