• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dataworm
    replied
    Re: Check with The airlines.

Originally posted by B|ackCat
    Just an update on travel. I noticed this today when I was looking at baggage requirements.

*All laptop/computers must be carried aboard and cannot be checked.

http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_ser...y_on/index.jsp
    How do they managed to get computer shipped by mail then?

Leave a comment:

• dataworm
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    When does a computer become a computer? When it has a CPU? A motherboard? Maybe you can take parts off of it so that it is no longer a computer, and then check it.
    Yup but if you can't power it on... IT might get destroyed! eheh
    And don't try to hide the CPU in your shoes!

Leave a comment:

• lucifex
    replied
    When does a computer become a computer? When it has a CPU? A motherboard? Maybe you can take parts off of it so that it is no longer a computer, and then check it.
    The (not-so) common sense answer would be "whenever the idiot security forces think something resembles a computer".

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• B|ackCat
    replied
    Check with The airlines.

Just an update on travel. I noticed this today when I was looking at baggage requirements.

*All laptop/computers must be carried aboard and cannot be checked.

http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_ser...y_on/index.jsp

Leave a comment:

• blackbeetle
    replied
    boxes

Take out any drives you have and carry those on, check in or ship the case

OR get your hands on a pelican (they have extra deep cases now) and ship via fedex ground to cut down on your cost. You can also check in the case at the airport but they'll be pawing through it behind the scenes. DT has a huge number of Pelicans - all wheeled- and swears by them- never had one break yet.

Leave a comment:

• codex
    replied
    If there are three of you, take a look at GA.

go to http://www.airnav.com/airports/
    enter kansas city. In the airport listings look at the airports, and the FBO's & flying clubs at each airport, call arround and see if someone does not have a 4-6 person plane who would love to fly you to defcon if you cover cost+hotel for him/her in vegas. Might be cheaper, and as I understand if there is no securit screening, so you can bring whatever (subject to the planes weight limit, check with your pilot)

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    remind me to invest in FedEx the week before con.....

Leave a comment:

• B|ackCat
    replied
    Luggage

Just a quick note, You might want to check the airlines you are flying. I know Delta notified me Friday when I picked up my tickets, no Luggage is allowed to be locked at this time, that included checked baggage. So if you are packing valuable stuff - Be careful. I am going to take my laptops on as carry on and then sending the rest fed ex.

Note: Things could change in the next few months, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Leave a comment:

• Verruckt
    replied
    Originally posted by digital abuzer
    Well it sounds like im prolly not going to be alble to haul my box on the carry on. Ill prolly ship it or just drive, im coming to defcon from st. louis missouri.
    Hey, we should talk. I'm in KC and I know of at least two others from here also going. Sounds like a caravan eh?:D

Leave a comment:

• AlphaNum3r1c
    replied
    If you have any friends in the area or friends driving, you can ship it to them. The downside is either insane shipping prices or going without while it is in transit.

The only problem I had with security last year was when the guy in front of me got an attitude and then they checked the next 5 or 6 people pretty carefully. I never had to power anything on, though. My external USB drive caused a bit of consternation, but no big issue. Of course, I also had to prove in 3 different airports I wasn't an unaccompanied minor so they were probably more concerned with looking for my parents.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Check your mail :) It's only a P166 but nothing is installed on one of the HDs but the OS, so it's still pretty clean. Maybe I can trade it for the ubercache of swag. :D

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    I'm bringing a Panasonic Toughbook, no case needed. Hopefully I will not come back with it.
    You're planning of selling it? Send me the specs. :-)

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    i'm a big fan of the tough books. i found one new for 700 and almost baught it. but i got my transNote instead. still might get one if the opportunity arises...

Leave a comment:

• murakami
    replied
    I'm bringing a Panasonic Toughbook, no case needed. Hopefully I will not come back with it.
    You should check your Toughbook through, just to see how tough it is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X