linux on toshiba troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux on toshiba troubles

There are two reasons I HATE (that's right I said HATE) my toshiba. Latest drivers being released in 2001, and it's INABILITY to run linux.
    Killing threads one post at a time...

Your toshiba must be the one model they've made that wont run Linux. Hell, I have a 105CS (thats a P75 with 8mb of ram) that ran Slackware out of the box (and is still operational to this day). I've got a Satellite thats running it as well. I have yet to meet a Toshiba that wouldnt run Linux. Thats why I keep buying them.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

5005-S504, 3 versions of redhat & slackware. Trying to set it up for a dual boot since I bought it. I tried everything and still nada.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyb3RSoldi3R
        5005-S504, 3 versions of redhat & slackware. Trying to set it up for a dual boot since I bought it. I tried everything and still nada.
        I'm gonna term that a good ol' case of user error

Comment

Hardly, The thing has no internal floppy BUT comes with a usb the problem lies with the creation of the linux boot disk. Not one of them can create it right with the usb floppy. Slackware says there is no fd0. At any rate this is not the proper place to post this so I drop it now.

Comment

Hardly, The thing has no internal floppy BUT comes with a usb the problem lies with the creation of the linux boot disk. Not one of them can create it right with the usb floppy. Slackware says there is no fd0. At any rate this is not the proper place to post this so I drop it now.
            Have you even TRIED to research it? The Toshiba Libretto had no internal drives except for the hdd. The suggested way to install was through PCMCIA floppy or network. The trick was in loading the PCMCIA drivers first. Yours has the same issue... loading the USB drivers first, I'm sure. But no, you say "It can't be done" like an ignorant little fucktard.

Run along and die now, kthx.
            the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
              Have you even TRIED to research it? The Toshiba Libretto had no internal drives except for the hdd. The suggested way to install was through PCMCIA floppy or network. The trick was in loading the PCMCIA drivers first. Yours has the same issue... loading the USB drivers first, I'm sure. But no, you say "It can't be done" like an ignorant little fucktard.

Run along and die now, kthx.
              Thank you, I feel much better now!

Comment

Yes I have tried researching, been up and down every square inch of the support forums. The problem lies with the floppy itself, seems that the drviers made to work with it are not functioning right (also may be an issue with the hardware itself). It's not a matter that I CAN'T, it's a matter that I just stop carring after a while.

BAH.... WHEN I SAID THIS WASN'T THE TOPIC FOR THIS I MEANT IT TO DROP THE DICUSSION. Well since someone went to the trouble, BRING ON THE FLAMERS.

/me grabs water hose.
                Last edited by Cyb3RSoldi3R; January 31, 2003, 09:29.

Comment

I dont see why the flaming has started personaly. The thread is in the right forum (now) and he's asking a valid question. I have been in similar situations of having to install Linux on machines with some sort of whacky caveat preventing me from doing it.
                  So back to the topic at hand. Have you tried Linux-Laptop.net yet? They're a good source of info for getting linux running on your laptop. I use them a lot to answer the usual laptop questions (i.e. who the fuck made the sound card on this thing?, what sort of funky video chipset is it using?). Most of the people posted on there have email addys too so you can mail them and ask how he got passed the USB boot floppy issue. Also, dont you have a CDROM you can boot off of?

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

There are two reasons I HATE (that's right I said HATE) my toshiba. Latest drivers being released in 2001, and it's INABILITY to run linux.
                    Just to keep the google-fu to its simplest, I type in a search string of 5005-S504 ... the first 3 results relating to tips for getting linux onto the notebook. In fact, these are the exact same links provided by http://www.linux-laptop.net/ for that specific model.

Simply understand that saying "it is unable to run linux" is a far cry from YOU not being able to figure out how to make boot disks.
                    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

I was able to get linux installed onto a p100, without bootable cdrom, which I had lost the floppy drive to. IT was quite a process involving lots of trial and error. most sites assumed i still had the floppy. Eventually I ended up using: a)lots of ducttape b)two cans compressed air c)Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon d) a desktop with exactly the same specs e) 2.5 -> 3.5" harddrive adapter. ok i didn't really need (a) or (b), but (c) was crucial!!

--simple3

Comment

Just to keep the google-fu to its simplest, I type in a search string of 5005-S504 ... the first 3 results relating to tips for getting linux onto the notebook. In fact, these are the exact same links provided by http://www.linux-laptop.net/ for that specific model.
                        OK, I admit saying my laptop had an inability was a little exagerated, after all where there's a will there's a way right? So I appoligize for that statement. Thanks also for all the good tips, but unfortunatly all the tips for the boot options are stuff I already knew along with the graphics and sound errors. The problem lies with the drivers for the floppy. I COULD make a boot disk with dos utilities for red hat, but I don't really want to run red hat hence why I haven't suceeded in installing it. Slackware is my main concern and they don't offer the dosutilities on the cd. YES, I know they have one on the net and YES, I know many people have done it before but like the first page says after looking up my laptop on linux-laptop.net,
                        This laptop is probably not the best choice for Linux, as Toshiba isn't very friendly to the technical community. (Actually, I heard this is only true of the people higher up in their headquarters: they apparently deny requests for technical specifications from their own employees.)

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                          I dont see why the flaming has started personaly.
                          The issue was his use of the word "INABILITY" in bold, stating, essentially, that it was impossible to run Linux on that box, when a few searches on common sites proves otherwise. If he had stated "it was too much of a challenge for me and so I swore off this brand entirely because of one difficult model", that would have been a different story entirely.

For the record, the Libretto was actually the first Linux install I performed by myself. Yes, it was a PITA. I even chose to not use the distro suggested in most of the help forums. It's all a matter of determination. I said it was funky, I said it was a PITA, but I would never, EVER post in a PUBLIC forum that all Toshibas suck because one VERY unique (not to mention somewhat outdated by that time) laptop was extremely difficult to install on.
                          the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Toshibas and Slackware.

Thanks also for all the good tips, but unfortunatly all the tips for the boot options are stuff I already knew along with the graphics and sound errors.
                            OK. I'm writing this from Slackware 8.1 (not that it bears much resemblance to the OS as installed from the CD anymore) on a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 that I've had since last November. While not the same machine as you're trying to get set up for, this is the third or fourth Toshiba I've run some flavour of Linux on and they do have certain peculiarities. And no, I am not intimately familiar with your particular model. However, I do have some general things for you to try.

Also, since you're trying to install Slackware, please forget everything you've learned about how RedHat does things in that department. It'll make it a lot easier to get into the flow of things with Slack if you just pretend that RedHat doesn't exist.

1) Is PCMCIA floppy support enabled in your BIOS? Some laptops will not boot from them, period.

2) Can you simply boot directly from the Slackware CD? If so, you shouldn't need the floppies to get the base OS installed.

3) Has the kernel you're using been built with Toshiba Laptop Support enabled? The onboard NIC in this thing wouldn't work until I re-rolled the kernel.

The problem lies with the drivers for the floppy. I COULD make a boot disk with dos utilities for red hat, but I don't really want to run red hat hence why I haven't suceeded in installing it. Slackware is my main concern and they don't offer the dosutilities on the cd.
                            There's a reason for that: Slackware is Linux, not DOS. Whatever Slack needs to do, it does itself. What you are looking for can probably be found here - look in the 'bootdisks' directory in the root of the mirror sites.

YES, I know they have one on the net and YES, I know many people have done it before but like the first page says after looking up my laptop on linux-laptop.net,
                            OK, now I'm starting to lose sympathy for you. First you say you want to get the laptop up and running with Slack, but now that it looks like it might take a bit of effort on your behalf you seem to only want to whine and moan about it.

Comment

OK, now I'm starting to lose sympathy for you. First you say you want to get the laptop up and running with Slack, but now that it looks like it might take a bit of effort on your behalf you seem to only want to whine and moan about it.
                              I did not make this topic, it was originally under another topic then an admin gave it a life of it's own. That's why it seems like I don't want to do it, cause I never really asked for help with the problem. Thanks to all of you though for all the tips though, I really appreciate it. The boot disk that I need though is one to run the partition. OK seeing as how this topic is not going away here is the issue in detail.

All booting options work perfectly, I can boot from the cd-rom, from the usb floppy everything. The issue is that I'm trying to run a dual boot system without using LILO or ____ (the other one escapes me for the moment) for switching between them. I want to modify the boot.ini for windows 2k to see it (if you are unfamiliar with this I refer you to littlewhitedog.com for the article). To do this you install the LILO onto the linux partition (hda2 in my case). After the OS is installed of course the boot disk needs to be inserted to get to the OS when you reboot right? Here's where the issue lies. Once inserting the boot disk created to get to the partition it comes up with boot error in fat ass letters and will not load linux (this is an example for red hat, slackware will NOT find the floppy at all and I will never have the chance to make the boot disk to see the partition). I've checked the boot disk made by red hat and the disk does not seem to wrtie the img the right way, where as with slackware (the OS I WANT on the machine) the floppy drive can not be found. Here are the ways I've tried to rectify this problem, I've tried accessing the partition through the cd (if you didn't know it has the rescue option on there to access the partitions) and I've tried loading the linux floppy drives first. Both these ways prove futile because the cd will not find that there is an OS on the hd (yes I'm installing it right) and slackware will not find the floppy STILL. Any other suggestions?

Oh and Octal I never said ALL toshibas suck just mine because of the above frustrations. The even more frustrating part is that when I tried palying Unreal Tourney 2003 they say you need latest detonator drivers and the latest toshiba has is 15's and I think there on to the 41's now (there are tons of ways of getting these drivers on the toshiba forums just so all you toshiba owners know, but they don't seen to work with mine which is why MY laptop frustrates me).
                              Last edited by Cyb3RSoldi3R; February 1, 2003, 13:56.

Comment

Working...
                              X