Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple3
    replied
    the problem with sony laptops is that they are built so crappy that they actually bend a little when you pick it up on one side of it. as you can imagine this "bending" is not good for "computer stuff" and the crap inside the laptop physically breaks after a while. so, if you want a laptop to take with you everywhere, stay away from them, but if you just want something that moves easily, the sony's are pretty nice.

--simple3

Leave a comment:

• Kry0NiK
    replied
    Originally posted by pyrophite
    never had any issues on my sony laptop. Has there been problems on the newer models.. such as hidden partitions?
    The known problems for sony hardware are hidden partitions, which these days are quite popular on every major brand. Second problem Ive heard is with its hardware in general. Some of the video chipsets in newer vaios werent supported, and audio was flaky at best. I've also heard the integrated 10/100 NIC has been a known issue on some models. Im sure there are more, but generally the sony's are kown in linux circles to be low on the totem pole for linux compatability. Granted HP/Compaq are the worst for that task, and it is possible to put linux on a vaio. But it might be more trouble than its worth.

Leave a comment:

• Cyb3RSoldi3R
    replied
    I made sure there was no hidden nothing on that harddrive since day 1. I was about to say you didn't have any probs pyro.

Leave a comment:

• pyrophite
    replied
    never had any issues on my sony laptop. Has there been problems on the newer models.. such as hidden partitions?

Leave a comment:

• Kry0NiK
    replied
    I wouldnt worry about LILO and the MBR. If you happen to corrupt it, you can use the windows bootable cd to rebuild your mbr. You'll temporarily lose LILO boot options, but thats also easily fixed by booting with the distro's boot cd and redoing LILO. The only thing you need to be mindful of would be the hidden partitions most of the factory images have on them for suspend and backup functions.

The 2.4.x kernel also has optional modules for toshiba laptops. I'd suggest making those a part of your kernel when you are fixing the other problems.

You should thank your lucky stars you arent trying to dual boot linux on a sony, compaq or hp.

Leave a comment:

• Cyb3RSoldi3R
    replied
    OK, I got the problem isolated now. I'm in the process of setting it up. I'll post the resolution as soon as I KNOW it works. Thanks goes out to everyone who helped. Sorry for the bone headed comment earlier skroo, I meant it purly in fun. That last comment you made was the one to help me figure it out. Turns out to be a kernel issue. I installed LILO and same not synching message came up.

Leave a comment:

• Cyb3RSoldi3R
    replied
    Bah, figures you guys say this after I just fuct with the MBR and just resurected it, ROFL... Anyways, skroo R U gonna be at the IVU meet, if so I could just bring it and let everyone experience my frustration.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by octalpussy
    Why are you so wary of installing LILO to the MBR? I realise that in the past, LILO was a little buggy, and had problems with dual booting certain flavours of Windows from the MBR, but this is no longer the case. All of my machines that dual boot Windows have LILO installed to the MBR and have no problem... whether it be Win98, 2k, or ME.
    What OP said.

I only have one OS that has problems with lilo, and that's BeOS R5, which in its' final incarnation *way* predates the present version of lilo. This machine (the Toshiba) dual-boots Win2K Pro and Slackware just fine (Slack 8.1 by distro, 2.4.20 by kernel); for comparison, my old Hitachi VisionBook 7340 has no problems with Slack 7.1 on a 2.4.18 kernel and Win98.

Yeah, you can fuck things up with lilo if you're not paying attention... But it's usually nothing a boot from the install CD and a quick edit of /etc/lilo.conf can't fix. And it is a lot safer than trying to write the boot record to your Linux partition and use Windows' boot loader, which is notorious for not playing nicely with other OSes.

Bottom line... Don't try to screw with it, just do it the way it's meant to be done.

Leave a comment:

• TwinVega
    replied
    cfdisk perhaps...?

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyb3RSoldi3R
    Well in order to set the OS dual patition LILO is installed on the hda2 partition. I tryed to install onto a floppy but it doesn't find the floppy drive. I guess I could try the MBR but I'm a little sceptical, If i decide to I'll post befor I do so you'll know if it's my last porst or not. :)
    Why are you so wary of installing LILO to the MBR? I realise that in the past, LILO was a little buggy, and had problems with dual booting certain flavours of Windows from the MBR, but this is no longer the case. All of my machines that dual boot Windows have LILO installed to the MBR and have no problem... whether it be Win98, 2k, or ME.

Leave a comment:

• Cyb3RSoldi3R
    replied
    Well in order to set the OS dual patition LILO is installed on the hda2 partition. I tryed to install onto a floppy but it doesn't find the floppy drive. I guess I could try the MBR but I'm a little sceptical, If i decide to I'll post befor I do so you'll know if it's my last porst or not. :)

Leave a comment:

• TwinVega
    replied
    What's so good about not using LILO? And why even boot from a floppy?

Leave a comment:

• Cyb3RSoldi3R
    replied
    OK install "looked beautiful" but still wasn't able to make boot disk or install LILO to a floppy. I found my camera and took pictures though when I tried to mount the partition from the downloaded boot disk.

If you can't read the last lin it says "interupt handler not syncing.

Leave a comment:

• Cyb3RSoldi3R
    replied
    Bah can't find my camera. It says it can not mount the drive to load the os though (sorry can't remember any other details then that). Anyone else have any ideas?
    Last edited by Cyb3RSoldi3R; February 2, 2003, 11:30.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Post it here. There are other people who might be able to help with this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X