This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacramento News Wardriving story.

Just as a heads up for any wardrivers in the Sacramento area, KOVR 13 news will be airing a segment on wardriving on Feb.19. I hope they edit this one right, so wardrivers don't look evil.

wi-fi wi-not?
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Anything with "war" in front of it will automagically be considered the devil around these times.

Why not Wi-Fi?
    Where's the dedication?

Comment

posted story

Well, I am gonna try and get the digitized copy some time soon, but here is the story. http://www.thekcrachannel.com/techno...21/detail.html

Comment

BEAT MICHAEL KEAN WITH AN PIGTAIL!

Originally posted by ck3k
        Well, I am gonna try and get the digitized copy some time soon, but here is the story. http://www.thekcrachannel.com/techno...21/detail.html
        They're called wardrivers, and they can surf the Web from the front seat of their cars, bum your Internet service or even break into your computer.
        "Wardriving is just basically driving around and looking for open Internet access," wardriver Michael Kean said.
        -adding Michael Kean to shitlist... (so sad that he folded under the pressure to use his real name... and say such stupid and ignorant things... )

With two laptops, there's a chance that wardrivers like Kean can tap into your Internet and your computer if you have wi-fi.
        2 huh? Is that the requirement?? Why not 3? Why not pi?

KCRA 3 drove around with Kean fishing for signals, and it didn't take him long to find one, tap into it, and jump on the Internet.
        DIE MICHAEL KEAN DIE!

Kean's real job is in wireless security, and he knows that a malicious wardriver could break into someone's computer, steal credit card numbers, or simply hit delete.
        MICHAEL KEAN SHOULD GET A REAL-ER JOB!

"If someone's getting into my broadband connection, that doesn't bother me that much, but I will definitely turn that back on ... the security," Schroeder said.
        ... and introducing his fucktard of a buddy... Jim Schroeder... Jim Schroeder should have beat Michael Kean when the reporter told him it was Michael Kean saying all this stupid shit!

Wardriving, or capturing wireless signals is legal, but hacking into computers is not.
        Nice Fucking Quote... too bad it didn't have anything to do with the article!!!!!!

... Note to wardrivers/alleged wardrivers that get interviewed by the media... Don't do what Michael Kean did.. or i will find you.

Comment

Well, another wardriving stroy gone to hell. I was hopping this one would turn out better. oh well......:(

Comment

This is why I have given up on the news. All you hear any more are biased and ignorant comments that are spoon fed to our nation, which sadly enough believes all of it.
            The penguin is watching.
            "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

Wardriving and the news...

Relax, folks. It's just television. I've also done wardriving stories - in the Sacramento area, no less - and the game here is 'ratings'. They're aiming for better ones, so that they can sell more advertising, and sell it for more money. Evil sells for more than good does, or we'd hear news stories about the birth of a new litter of puppies, instead of the death of another planeload of passengers. I remember that for two years in a row, in Sacramento, it was big news that we were nearing the record for murders commited in the local community - they made it sound like a contest, or a goal that we should be shooting for - and, not surprisingly, we reached the 'goal'...

It's just the news. Take it for what it is, use it to get the word out, and accept the realities of what the media does for a living. They aren't in business to tell the story, no matter how loudly they cling to that position - they are in business to sell the ads. That's getting harder and harder, with the Internet as competition for advertising dollars, and so they are getting desperate. I'd think that you'd view that as an indication of vulnerability to social engineering tactics, and take advantage, rather than hating, shunning, and/or complaining about them...

Are we 'hackers', or bleating sheep?
              "Ignorance is forgivable, because it's curable - stupidity is not. The difference between ignorance and stupidity lies in the desire to remain ignorant..."

Comment

wtf?

Originally posted by MrYowler
                Relax, folks. It's just television.

Seriously that is a good way to let cancer spread, without voiced opinions to stop this disease you create "bleating sheep"... relaxing is really the last thing you want to do.

Comment

Re: Wardriving and the news...

Relax, folks. It's just television...

Evil sells for more than good does, or we'd hear news stories about the birth of a new litter of puppies, instead of the death of another planeload of passengers. ...

It's just the news. Take it for what it is, use it to get the word out, and accept the realities of what the media does for a living. They aren't in business to tell the story, no matter how loudly they cling to that position - they are in business to sell the ads...

Are we 'hackers', or bleating sheep?
                  You don't see a problem with this? You are correct in everything you say about the media, but you are totally misguided about how WE should react to it. It is an insult to me personally when they misuse the word hacker. It is an insult to me personally when they equate wardrivers with terrorists. It is an insult to me personally when people then turn around and act as if we should accept this. You should probably check the definition of sheep.
                  perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

So the news crew watched him get on the Internet via someoen else's point? What next, they'll accompany a bank robber at night breaking into a bank?

Comment

Offended...

Well, let's see...

We *do* support freedom of expression, right? I'm guessing that freedom of the Press is under some level of debate, here, but they do, after all, have the right to present the stories in whatever light they see fit. And my experience with the media tells me that they will not always respect your right to privacy, if you ask them to not use your real name.

As for the question of whether the complaints amount to 'bleating', I see a thread of thinking that sounds a lot like "fuck the media", and that is counterproductive. The media will only continue to treat us as the enemy, as long as we treat them that way. Moreover, simply complaining about the problem changes nothing, and I don't see anyone making suggestions as to what to *do* about it. When the wolf shows up at the gate, at least the sheep have the good sense to run away - it doesn't help, but at least their heads are in the right place. I'm suggesting that the thing to *do* about the problem, is to manipulate the media, the way that they have traditionally manipulated us. After all, we're supposed to be better at this, than they are - we call it 'social engineering', and they call it a black art, every time someone mentions the name "Mitnick". I hate to sound like someone's mother, but "Stop whining and DO something about it!" Presumably, no one is better-equipped to, than we are...

I hate to start the long-standing argument about the word 'hacker', again, but between the reference to it's meaning, and that of the word 'sheep', I feel that it is important to head off the usual degeneration of these discussions, into an argument over syntax and usage. Language is a contract to communicate. If I can say a word, and have you know what I mean by it, then the contract is fulfilled. That you do not like the way in which I mean or use the word, is as likely to reflect upon you, as it does upon me, but that gets into a social contract of courteous behavior (which, perhaps, is at the core of the way that the media chooses to portray us, and our objections to the way that they put food on their families tables), and not communication. The words mean what they are used to mean, irrespective of what you might find in a dictionary. If you understood the usage, as they were used, then congratulations on your intuitive insight, and the word means what was understood. If not... well... Perhaps I overestimated someone's intuitiveness. For that, I can only apologize.

It's not really productive to allow a discussion to degenerate into fine points of language. That's not what we're here to discuss, and it certainly looks like we are all understanding one another. Why quibble over the finer points of the contract to communicate? They're not nearly so important or interesting as the subject at hand... :)

Yes, I did once teach English... In a past lifetime... :)

These people in the media are not entirely to blame, for what they do, either. They are responding to the reactions of us, as a society. That we empower them, by reacting with passion to their misstatements, only grants both credibility and ratings to those misstatements. Think honestly - do you tune in when you hear about another wardriving story? Does it hook you, and cause you to watch? I'd bet that it does, and I'd bet that this type of mistreatment by the media is part of the reason why. The single most widely-exploited emotion in the advertising industry, today, is fear - outpacing even sex. Fear of the "Evil WarDriver Hackers", is what sells airtime, and if we were half the social engineers that they believe us to be, this would be obvious to us. We cannot reasonably expect to put a stop to this sort of abuse by reacting to it as though the statements made about us were true.

Do you watch Cops, or Judge Judy, or Jenny Jones? These are also shows which derive their ratings from entertaining people with unrealistic, incomplete, and often inaccurate representations of other people. The public likes to derive entertainment value from watching other people be victimized. If you act like a victim, you become entertaining - and you will continue to be one. Remember when it was the geeky bookworm computer kid in high school, that was always being picked on? Well, very little has changed - have we not learned anything, since then?

MrYowler
                      "Ignorance is forgivable, because it's curable - stupidity is not. The difference between ignorance and stupidity lies in the desire to remain ignorant..."

Comment

i really have never read so much emptiness as I just did.

>> the media *should* present the facts to its audience, not an angled sleight of hand..

>> I don't know how many stories you have watched or read, but most of them are pretty horrible, inaccurate, and just plain shitty. No content, just buzzwords. If the media is handling everyday content the same way they handle wardriving stories, or hacker labled stories... the media would be getting firebombed on a daily basis nationwide.

>> sheep get reeled in and believe what they see. quite a few poeple I know don't bother to turn on their televisions to watch broadcasted programs. Often we archive all these articles and videos to reflect how as a community we can make all these compaints stop by helping out the understanding... though if it doesn't bleed it doesn' t lead... so we have the pringles can, the biggest most misrepresented "tool" that only people who really have nothing else to do, do.

>> most "wardrivers" on broadcast news are newbies themselves and usually just want to be on TV to say hey look at me... all the while being misguided by the media to say things and misrepresent things... this falls upon the community and makes an ugly picture from the fallout of such disaster programs where there are demonstrations of unauthorized access, etc.

Summary: this bullshit needs to stop, and we certainly aren't taking this lying down. keep correcting them, sending them corrections via email to them and their editors and whomever else is at their company... believe me it does work, the wardriving stories have been getting better even if by small changes, they are better than they were last year for sure. Stop making excuses for the media, exploit them for the use of spreading facts.

Comment

Re: Offended...

"Stop whining and DO something about it!" MrYowler
                          I have "done" something about it. Thread closed moron. Shove that up your freedom of speech.
                          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Working...
                          X