Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeess
    replied
    Can the stages be setup so the rooms are landscape instead of portrait? Meaning wide rooms that are not very deep from back wall to stage, opposed to very deep rooms that are narrow.
    Before DC23 rooms seemed to be setup that way and it seemed better to me.

Leave a comment:

• sainate
    replied
    5L3UTH DC23 was my first Defcon and I had similar fears. We arrived the night before registration began with the intention of getting downstairs early to get in line. When we got there, there were already folks lining up (this was around 8:30pm ish local time) in the hallway. I considered sleeping in the line (I had no idea of what to expect) but decided against it, I wanted as much sleep pre-con as I could get. We got downstairs the morning that the registration started and there was a sizeable line but, as soon as I got in line I started talking to others in line (many who had been to several cons previously and were eager to chat about those experiences and what they hoped to get out of the current con). Ultimately, I think that we were in line for two hours ish but it literally FLEW by and I enjoyed the folks that I met in line as much as any other part of the con. The goons did an awesome job at keeping movement in the lines and keeping things organized. After DC101 there was a bit of a traffic jam but things seemed to recover quickly.

Leave a comment:

• 5L3UTH
    replied
    Originally posted by dc0de View Post
    Nikita,

As one of the Goons that was trapped in the hallway on Friday of DC23, I would strongly urge someone in leadership understand that dumping those two tracks, and having registration open, all in the same areas that existed last year, you are going to cause another crowd-lock and crush.

Hopefully, it won't happen, and hopefully if it does happen, no one is injured.
    As this will be my first DC, I Hoping to be be able to get registered without injury, but I understand how crowded things can get though.

Leave a comment:

• TechGirlMN
    replied
    Looks great! One minor note to pass along how about a little more signage than last year, and/or offering a black text /white paper option for the DC times.

Leave a comment:

• Lola
    replied
    Originally posted by Nikita View Post

Nope, sorry :( It's not possible to move that chillout lounge because of hotel logistics. We did put in a small cafe on the paris side exactly so you can get a quick snack and drink.

In order to resolve some of the congestion issues last year I believe we moved DC101 over to the Bally's side after the initial incident. That, in addition to extra vigilance by the Goons, seemed to resolve the issue. Is it possible to switch the locations of DC101 and the Vendors? I don't recall any issues after that was done...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• EvilMoFo
    replied
    As if defcon isn't spread out enough, let's move to lvcc....

The talks are recorded and published online within a couple months of con; go participate in a contest, learn something in a village, or hang out in the chill out room.

Leave a comment:

• geeksedition
    replied
    Thanks Sainate (I hope I tagged you right in this message). My Tandy Colour Computer3 was my first baby! Anyway Nikita, the plan is pretty solid... I have another thought here and I don't know if this is possible because the line would be in the "Shops area" and I don't know the specifics on the contract with the convention centre... But I believe there is a door to the DC101 and SWAG area along where the red coloured line is. If the lines for those could be kept in a single file in the shops area, this would remove a GOOD chunk of people in the track areas. Please know that I am not trying to be critical in any way here, perhaps a little self serving :P as I get claustrophobic and very panicky and uneasy in large crowds. I was involved in Crowd lock last year I will admit to having some level of anxiety and I would like to help in ANY way I can to prevent that from happening again :P

The lay out is good for the space provided.

I am curious though... Is it a cost thing that keeps DefCON away from the Las Vegas Convention Centre? I am not sure if you are contracted at Bally's / Paris for a number of years or not... but having attended a plethora of shows there and even working at a few... the layout there is designed for massive crowd flows and they have decent ballrooms there as well.

Thanks for all your work!!! It is very much appreciated! I know DefCON cannot be compared to a "trade show" but in some aspects its very much alike. I know the trade show industry if you want to bounce any ideas off me, feel free to ask, I am also well connected in the industry and can even bounce the ideas off others. I would love to help any way I can.

Cheers!!!
    //GeekSedition

Leave a comment:

• Gigs
    replied
    May not be possible but it would be neat if there were some clear cut "outdoor area" like if the doors across from Napoleon's could be open. I think that's one thing that did reduce crowding pressures in years before 23. It sounds like something the hotel might not go for, but I figured I'd plug the idea again.

Leave a comment:

• EvilMoFo
    replied
    The only thing I hear about DC23 is crowding issues, I guess the contest area was so far away that most attendees didn't consider making the trek. Hopefully, having the vendors and chillout nearby will help with that.

Leave a comment:

• dc0de
    replied
    Nikita,

As one of the Goons that was trapped in the hallway on Friday of DC23, I would strongly urge someone in leadership understand that dumping those two tracks, and having registration open, all in the same areas that existed last year, you are going to cause another crowd-lock and crush.

Hopefully, it won't happen, and hopefully if it does happen, no one is injured.

Leave a comment:

• Nikita
    replied
    Originally posted by P33V3 View Post
    Nikita, one suggestion based on last year. Could we switch the ChillOut Room and DC101? This would make things easier and would flow better for Registration and SWAG. We had traffic flow issues last year with everything located right there on Registration day. Additionally it would give people a centralized place (including staff) a place to get a quick bite or drink.

Nope, sorry :( It's not possible to move that chillout lounge because of hotel logistics. We did put in a small cafe on the paris side exactly so you can get a quick snack and drink.

Leave a comment:

• sainate
    replied
    geeksedition , I dig the signature!! I cut my teeth on "trash 80's" (it was an upgrade from my Aquarius) and BBS's at 300 Baud (the 1200 Baud upgrade was *nice*). Anyway, very cool sig!
    Back to DC24, I agree that having all of the talks stop and start at the same time is an issue but would prefer not to have any kind of registration. Some of the talks that I thought that I wanted to see at DC23 I wasn't able to see for a myriad of reasons (lines, forgot to go, overslept, got caught up doing xyz some where else and just didn't make it). I didn't worry about it because, since there was no registration, I wasn't impacting anyone but myself. If we register for the talks, that wouldn't be the case. If I was tied up doing something (lock picking, watching the pwnage in the Social Engineering village, enjoying an adult beverage, etc.), I'd have to choose to either stop doing whatever I was doing to make my appointment or miss the appointment (while keeping someone else from attending). One thing that comes to mind that may help with the traffic flow though would be to have a delay between the start / stop times (talks stop at xy:50 and the next talk starts at yz:00, so 10 minutes for the traffic to move).

Leave a comment:

• geeksedition
    replied
    Hi!

I'd like to echo Sainate's comment on "Thing 1" Hats off, and a HUGE Thanks!!!! I am so looking forward to 24 providing the Canadian $ does not slide any more! Anyway The floor plan is great on paper, and I would like to make a suggestion. We all know that there were serious traffic flow issues at 23. But it was the first time in a new place.

I have a fair amount of trade show experience and would like to offer a suggestion. Take it or leave it, but I would really love to see traffic flowing much better. Registering (under assumed names) is likely out so having a standard trade registration in place is not going to happen. That being said, since talks all start and end at the same time, there will be MASSIVE crowds. With nobody registered and knowing they will have a seat in their talks, people are really wanting to move around and quickly... this creates a problem.

So my suggestion to cut the crowd to half, is to put some of the talks in the other hotel. Disperse it more. This would prevent having a flood of people in one area. The other suggestion is to have a registration system where people book and select their talks. THis way only the people who have tickets for each talk will be moving about. This may also help keep the crowds to a minimum in the area. As I mentioned, I have trade show experience and would be very happy to volunteer some time to brainstorm on this. I was actually a little scared the fire department was going to shut things down last year as paramedics were trying to get through the crowds and could not...

So excited for 24!!!!

Cheers,
    GeekSedition

Leave a comment:

• P33V3
    replied
    Nikita, one suggestion based on last year. Could we switch the ChillOut Room and DC101? This would make things easier and would flow better for Registration and SWAG. We had traffic flow issues last year with everything located right there on Registration day. Additionally it would give people a centralized place (including staff) a place to get a quick bite or drink.

Leave a comment:

• Nikita
    replied
    Good news everybody!!!!!!!! <--- Requires excessive exclamation points for dramatic effect.

Last year we had some "issues" with the hotel elevators, and those caused some long lines at times to get upstairs. Basically, elevators couldn't go up till the other one came down. It brings me great joy to report that we have since worked with the hotel to get changes made to that process. ( Thank you Charel) The engineers were called in and they fixed the mechanics, so now more elevators can move at the same time! Which means more efficiency and less wait! They've also offered us MORE Express elevators straight to the 26th floor. :-) Which is double less wait!

Also, a bit of clarification, what's labeled as "lounge" on the 26th floor wasn't our best way of describing what will be up there. ( this is a beta map after all) We plan to have lots of activities on the 26th, some smaller new villages and hopefully some returning ones from last year. The plan is to expand the hacker social area, it won't be a dimly lit bar with soft jazz, but more of a hub for villages with hands on areas where you can sit and chill, learn a few things and maybe watch or participate in a few fun contests. The 26th floor will prove to be a very connected part of DEF CON, with the added bonus of comfy couches all around! We just haven't come up with a "name" for that space yet and "lounge" was the lazy placeholder.

We still have some more "to be announced" awesomeness, we're not done yet! Since I've always wanted to say it in closing on a post....."Until next time, take care of yourselves and each other."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X