Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Forked from DC24 floor plan] How to join DC group/village? User description?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ruggles23
    replied
    Hello thecotman,
    Thank you for your reply to my inquire about membership levels on DeFCoN as i find this information very usefull. The rules explaination does help.me too as i want to not violate any rules here. Finally thanks for the good luck comment..

Yours,
    Ruggles23

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by ruggles23 View Post

Thanks theCotman for the defon link with a extensive explanation about groups,villages and to join them. I assume your a defon admin so how do i get my member status upgraded from junior level to a higher level access? I am new to posting on defcon threads so hope i am writing in the right forum page?????
    Ruggles23
    My description in the forums is "Human" so, maybe I am an Admin and the description is a lie, or maybe I am just a human.

The status of "Junior Member" is the default string applied to all new users. If I recall correctly, we allow users to set their own description. Only plain-text is allowed. Attempts to use HTML or other markup will likely not work as expected. At the top-right of the web-page, locate a rectangular region with your username to the right of another rectangular region named "messages." Click on your username in the rectangle at the top. A drop-down menu should appear. Click on "My Profile" and a new page should load. In that new page, on the left-side should be a rectangular form "submit" button with the text "Edit Settings" -- click on "Edit Settings" and a new page should load. On the resulting new page, at the top should be a description for a field "User Title". I think you can type what you want there, withing length limits imposed. Certain keywords are now allowed. Use of words like "Admin" "Goon" and similar words are not allowed, as these could be exploited to fool users that do not know any better that a user represents DEF CON in some way, and be abused. Goons can use Goon in their description. Admins and Mods can use HTML in their user description and have no limits to what text they can use.

As for "ranks" (more like groups) we do not really have any ranks based on time here, posts provided or contributions.

If I recall correctly, the ranks we have are:
    * Public, Unregistered users : Can read all public areas, but not spaces like /dev/null, maybe Fucktard Hall, /dev/random. They cannot post.
    * Registered users, but email address is not confirmed : no access
    * Banned users : Can't read or post any content
    * Registered users : This is the bulk of the userbase. Most are registered users. They can choose to subscribe to "All_Social" and other groups to see /dev/random, or unsubscribe from "All_Social" and not see it. All new users are automatically added to "All_Social" but can opt-out at any time.
    * Forum Leader/Organizers for Contest, Events, Villages, Social gatherings : These are people well established with long track records of not acting like jerks, *and* vouched for by a well respected goon or mod, and are actively supporting a contest, events, social gathering or village. They have the same access as "Registered Users" but have extra controls in forums related to the thing they are working on to set/unset stickies, open/close threads, prune/move posts to manage content, etc. members of this group have no user moderation controls and do not enforce any rules. The only extra controls they have are to help them manage content in the forums related to their volunteer work.
    * Goons : These are people that have previously been verified as goons. I think they are able to use the word "goon" in their forum description. They can post new threads to the announcement forum, and have other thread/content management access similar to leaders/organizers.
    * Forum Moderators : These people enforce rules, ban, and unban users as needed. Each mod has historically managed their own bans. If a mod bans a user, that mod can at any time choose to lift the ban, but we have no history of any mod or admin reversing another mod's ban. Effectively, this gives mods a great deal of autonomy, and because of this, the only people that are mods are those that are very well established and trusted. Some forum moderators are also goons.
    * Forum Admin : These have the same access and responsibility as mods, but can do more with user management, forum management, and software configuration to keep things running.

We generally do not advertise who is a mod, and who is not. We also do not generally advertise who has admin access and who does not. People here long enough are able to determine that by observation. By not making who is a mod or admin obvious, users tend to be less aggressive towards each other, since they can't be sure who is and who is not a mod or admin.

Separate from this, There is no need to report posts found in "Fucktard Hall" and "/dev/null" as these are the locations we place issues so users can learn from other user's mistakes. The forum "/dev/random" is similar, but slightly different; the rules there are not as restrictive as the rest of the public forums. Details on the rules for /dev/random are found in a sticky-thread in that forum. Do not reply to spam, unless you want your post to disappear. I may not censor other content, but I remove all spam from public view. When possible, it is best to leave problems in the public for everyone to see. Doing that for spam only provides and incentive for spammers to do it more.

Good luck!
    -Cot
    Last edited by TheCotMan; March 16, 2016, 22:51.

Leave a comment:

• ruggles23
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post

Local DEF CON meetings are described as "DEF CON Groups". See the comment from sainate above and the included URL. Also check out: https://defcongroups.org/dcpages.html for local DCG listings.

The reserved word "Village" is de facto reserved keyword for actual Villages at DEF CON, or similar events. To avoid collisions within a shared namespace, a DCG is used to describe local "DEF CON Groups" and their meetings.

A Village is described as a location where people meet to discuss, and share information about more specialized topics. Examples: Wireless Village, Lockpicking Village, Social Engineer Village, etc. If you have an interest in joining one of these Villages, you should locate the organizers of the village you are interested and see if they need help. Though some villages have organizers that are or were goons, there is no requirement for this. In the greater evaluation of "Villages" each is independently operated, and has their own methods of organization. There are some rules they inherit as a result of legal requirements from DEF CON, but like many other parts of DEF CON, Villages share a great deal of autonomy in self-regulation, and self-management within the framework they are offered. Because of this, you can't expect to have the head of the department that handles Village be able to dictate to any village that they must accept you as a volunteer. (That would likely not work out well.) Talk directly to the organizers of the village you are interested in supporting.

Thanks for letting the user know about the need to start a new thread if a new topic is desired, and no existing open thread addresses the topic.

I've forked the posts from that thread here. This is the new thread with a title to show where it came from, so your posted reply makes sense in the new context.

HTH,
    -Cot
    Thanks theCotman for the defon link with a extensive explaination about groups,villages and to join them. I assume your a defon admin so how do i get my member status upgraded from junior level to a higher level access? I am new to posting on defcon threads so hope i am writing in the right forum page?????
    Ruggles23

Leave a comment:

• ruggles23
    replied
    Originally posted by sainate View Post
    ruggles23 , I suspect that this is a little OT for the DEF CON 24 Floorplan thread but may be a question that others could benefit from. Ideally, someone will move this to a more appropriate thread but, regarding the DEFCON Groups, I've included a link below to find one near you. I actually found a group that's sortof local to me and have met some pretty awesome folks as a result. Good luck!

https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-g...ups-index.html
    Thanks sainate for the defcon link this definately helps me join a local group in my area.
    Ruggles23

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by ruggles23 View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to Defcon forums but not new to Defcon itself. I am innterested in joining a local Defon 1 or more active groups,villages. How do you join a group and village? I have looked everywhere for contact info combined with info on how you join here but found nothing. Anyone with info please post information on process,contact info etc.
    Thanks,
    Ruggles23
    Local DEF CON meetings are described as "DEF CON Groups". See the comment from sainate above and the included URL. Also check out: https://defcongroups.org/dcpages.html for local DCG listings.

The reserved word "Village" is de facto reserved keyword for actual Villages at DEF CON, or similar events. To avoid collisions within a shared namespace, a DCG is used to describe local "DEF CON Groups" and their meetings.

A Village is described as a location where people meet to discuss, and share information about more specialized topics. Examples: Wireless Village, Lockpicking Village, Social Engineer Village, etc. If you have an interest in joining one of these Villages, you should locate the organizers of the village you are interested and see if they need help. Though some villages have organizers that are or were goons, there is no requirement for this. In the greater evaluation of "Villages" each is independently operated, and has their own methods of organization. There are some rules they inherit as a result of legal requirements from DEF CON, but like many other parts of DEF CON, Villages share a great deal of autonomy in self-regulation, and self-management within the framework they are offered. Because of this, you can't expect to have the head of the department that handles Village be able to dictate to any village that they must accept you as a volunteer. (That would likely not work out well.) Talk directly to the organizers of the village you are interested in supporting.

Originally posted by sainate View Post
    ruggles23 , I suspect that this is a little OT for the DEF CON 24 Floorplan thread but may be a question that others could benefit from. Ideally, someone will move this to a more appropriate thread
    Thanks for letting the user know about the need to start a new thread if a new topic is desired, and no existing open thread addresses the topic.

I've forked the posts from that thread here. This is the new thread with a title to show where it came from, so your posted reply makes sense in the new context.

HTH,
    -Cot
    Last edited by TheCotMan; March 15, 2016, 17:51.

Leave a comment:

• sainate
    replied
    ruggles23 , I suspect that this is a little OT for the DEF CON 24 Floorplan thread but may be a question that others could benefit from. Ideally, someone will move this to a more appropriate thread but, regarding the DEFCON Groups, I've included a link below to find one near you. I actually found a group that's sortof local to me and have met some pretty awesome folks as a result. Good luck!

https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-g...ups-index.html

Leave a comment:

• [Forked from DC24 floor plan] How to join DC group/village? User description?

Hello,
    I am new to Defcon forums but not new to Defcon itself. I am innterested in joining a local Defon 1 or more active groups,villages. How do you join a group and village? I have looked everywhere for contact info combined with info on how you join here but found nothing. Anyone with info please post information on process,contact info etc.
    Thanks,
    Ruggles23
Working...
X