Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doc_m
    replied
    I learned of this at DefCon and I'm hooked. I looked forward to competing at DC25.

Leave a comment:

• mrdooz
    replied
    Heya!

Just wanted to say thanks for hosting the event! This was my first time corewarsing, so it was great fun trying to figure everything out!

Any chance that you're going to make the warriors downloadable from your site? I'm very curious to see why my crappy guy (monkeyparty) managed to do so well :)

Leave a comment:

• SWingedSeraph
    replied
    Originally posted by @alt_bier View Post
    I am looking forward to scraping the rust off of some of my antique core warriors for this competition.
    While the site referenced indicates most of the settings that will be used in the tournament (8k core, 80k cycles, 8k proc, 100 maxlen, 100 mindist) it does not indicate how many rounds each match will be comprised of.
    I'm curious about the number of rounds as that may change the strategy used by P-brains.
    The contest runner plays each pair of contestants against each other in two games of fifty rounds each. I'll change that on the website.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Leave a comment:

• @alt_bier
    replied
    I am looking forward to scraping the rust off of some of my antique core warriors for this competition.
    While the site referenced indicates most of the settings that will be used in the tournament (8k core, 80k cycles, 8k proc, 100 maxlen, 100 mindist) it does not indicate how many rounds each match will be comprised of.
    I'm curious about the number of rounds as that may change the strategy used by P-brains.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    started a topic Information about corewars at DEF CON 24

Information about corewars at DEF CON 24

I am not affiliated with this event and nothing I write is authoritative for it.

Originally posted by details
    CoreWar, the ultimate programming game, is a game in which two or more programs written in an assembly language called Redcode battle it out to be the ruler of a virtual system's memory (called "core" because, originally, it was made up of inductors wound around ferrite cores). The game was invented in 1984, 32 (0x20) years ago, so this is an especially fitting year for the first ever DEF CON CoreWar competition.

For those who have never competed in a Core War before, I (or another volunteer) will be available to teach the REDCODE language and basic game tactics, so you won't start out 32 years behind the times. There will be separate virtual arenas set up for beginners, intermediate players, and Core War veterans, so don't worry about your level of experience. Also, if John Metcalf attends, he gets his own arena ;)

Throughout the competition various hills will be used, but all will be available ONLY to DEF CON attendees (over the LAN or by giving me USB sticks with your warrior in person). To brush up on your skills, or to begin learning from scratch, check out the global leaderboards at koth.org and the learning material at corewar.co.uk
    Site: http://silverwingedseraph.net/def-co...ar-competition
Working...
X