No announcement yet.

Defcon Shoot Badge (non-electronic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I have a bit of a concern about taking these home for those of us living outside of the US. Canada actually gives near-zero fucks about importing firearms/parts/ammo. However, the US is quite strict about the exportation of firearms/parts/ammo. I wanted to look into this as I don't want to end up on any mandatory anal spelunking list whenever I want to travel.

Here is a company in Canada that deals with importing and exporting firearms. There is a section in the US law where Canada can import $500 dollars worth of certain firearms components, but this doesn't include ammunition. This is their statement on the US law:

http://www.borderview.com/services/f...ption-service/

tl;dr:
    • Does not apply to ammunition-related parts and components. These are classified as “Category III on the U.S. Munitions List, while the exemption only refers to “Category I(a) firearms.”

Here is the ITAR part of the law that dictates that a person cannot export ammunition. It is on page 474. Category 3, section 1.

https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulat...R_Part_121.pdf

tl;dr:

(1) The components, parts, accessories and attachments controlled in this category include, but are not limited to cartridge cases, powder bags (or other propellant charges), bullets, jackets, cores, shells (excluding shotgun shells), projectiles (including canister rounds and submunitions therefor), boosters, firing components therefor, primers, and other detonating devices for the defense articles controlled in this category.

Now, I don't really expect huge repercussions if someone tries to bring a single 40mm chalk round with them out of the US, but I wanted to make sure everyone is aware of potential issues relating to this.

Also, I want to say, this badge idea is fucking awesome! I love it :D

Comment

Would someone with an M203 (or other launcher capable of taking the chalk round) be willing to let us fire these off? I'd keep the shell afterwards and have more fun than knocking out the primer.

Comment

Yes. I will be bringing a 203 if the shoot location/permit situation gets sorted out.

Comment

Thanks L0g1c! I'll stop staring at the "homemade grenade launcher" pages now.

Comment

Eeeee my launcher is a cobray m203 for 37mm. I'm not sure if it can safely shoot these 40mm rounds. If someone has some free time please let me know what you find.

Comment

i don't think any 37mm launchers can accept 40mm rounds... or else NFA paperwork up the wazoo
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                i don't think any 37mm launchers can accept 40mm rounds... or else NFA paperwork up the wazoo
                This. 40mm launchers are classified as a 'Destructive Device' which is a level of NFA item that you probably don't want to touch. Also, each non-inert/training round is similarly also classified as a DD, with the requisite tax and paperwork required for each individual round. 37mm launchers are technically 'flare guns'.

Also, putting a 40mm diameter round into a 37mm diameter tube doesn't work too well. ;)

Comment

i have to say, i've been really really on the fence about 37mm launchers.

historically i'll be honest i put the squarely into the mall ninja category, but as a fun novelty item they really are cool. if i were to build something of a "hero gun" prop for people to just use in video shoots, etc, i could see going that route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eKxCtD4QAY
                  ^ apparently there are chalk marker rounds for 37mm?

also, there's something i hadn't considered before... apparently a lot of options exist for 37mm rounds in less-lethal ammunition:

http://lesslethal.com/products/impac...t-37-40mm.html
                  ^ that's a whole mess of options there, wow!

http://lesslethal.com/law-enforcemen...tile/37mm.html
                  ^ CS canister, wow. i bet one has to be LEO to purchase that, however

http://lesslethal.com/catalog/produc...m/category/41/
                  ^ hornet's nest, goddamn. i have some of those style rounds in 12ga for my home defense shotgun, but i do appreciate the idea of having a defensive rifle that can also deploy compliance rounds with less than likely lethality.

so what do you folk think? 37mm.... useful or e-penis extender?
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

E-penis, but I still have one.

Comment

Working...
                    X