Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb question about 802.11 AP's at defcon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natz
    replied
    if people do this in their rooms on different floors it could help tremendosly(i cant spell). do to the 7 wall rule or something. i have 2 ap's however one is 802.11-g so i only have one.

Leave a comment:

• Merciless_Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by tommEE
    If you had a hotel room facing the right way, you might be able to hit it with a directional antenna.
    Or if someone with a 1 Watt amp and a good Omni could loan it to the CON.... :) Ohhh did I mention I have the fore mentioned items...

Leave a comment:

• tommEE
    replied
    If you had a hotel room facing the right way, you might be able to hit it with a directional antenna.

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    Re: Defcon wireless

Originally posted by TeraPheX
    Hey does anyone know the wireless span for defcons data network at Alexus? I was planing on staying at the hotel across the street (due to the lack of money), so i was just wondering if anyone knew how wide the network is gunna be.
    "The hotel across the street" is sort of vague. Right across the street is the Hard Rock, and no, you won't likely be hitting it there. You don't usually hit it in the back rooms at the Alexis, either, but it has grown each year it's been up. You might hit it from some of the closer rooms at the St. Tropez, next door.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Re: Defcon wireless

Originally posted by TeraPheX
    Hey does anyone know the wireless span for defcons data network at Alexus? I was planing on staying at the hotel across the street (due to the lack of money), so i was just wondering if anyone knew how wide the network is gunna be.
    sounds like the same type of people who steal my parking space when I want to get a bite to eat (and don't even stay at the AP)... sheesh..

... they want free parking
    ... they want free defctontv
    ... they want free wifi...

... hell they even want "i l l i g a l p l a n s"

+ 4lL Kw3$+ION$ 4nd R3SpONC35 5H4Ll bE 1n5er+Ed BELl0w +h3 L1N3 (EnCRYp+3D oN K3y 69 Iph N3EdED)::

Code:

__________________________________________________________________________________
               ,,,                           ,,                      ,,,,,,,          
               ;;;;;;;;  ,,,,         ,,,     ;;         ,,,   ,,,,  ´´´;;,,
              ,;;;´     ;;;;          ;;;,    ;;         ;;;,,,;;;     ,;;,
              ;;;;     ;;;;          ;;;;;,   ;;        ;;;;,,,;;´     ;;;,
              ;;;     ,;;;          ;;;;;;;, ;;        ,;;;,,,;;;     ;;;
            ,,;;´    ,;;;          ,;´ ´;;;;;;´        ;;;´  ;;;     ,;;;
            ,;;;     ;;;   ,,,   ,,;;   ´;;;;´  ,,,   ;;;;  ;;;;     ;;;
           ,,;;     ;;;´  ´;;; ,;;;;      ;;;  ´;;;  ,;;;   ;;; ,,,,;;;;
          ,,;;;;;´                                              ´´´´;;;´
                                 w  e  l  c  o  m  e .________________________________________________________________________________.

+ 4lL Kw3$+ION$ 4nd R3SpONC35 5H4Ll bE 1n5er+Ed BELl0w +h3 L1N3 (EnCRYp+3D oN       K3y 69 Iph N3EdED)::

*  p o s t    a l l   s h i t   w/  f t p  o r   f t p  c l i e n t .   
         *  o n l y    [ i . n . h .]  m e m b e r s   s h a l l  v i e w  t h e  c o-         n t e n t  o f   t h i s  p a g e. 
         *  I m p o r t a n t  o r  o t h e r w i s e  i l l i g a l  p l a n s  o r          d i s c u s s i o n s  s h a l l   b e  e n c r y p t e d  o n  binary69.
         *  r e m e m b e r,  w h e n  d e c r y p t i n g,  d e l e t e  a l l  g a p         b e t w e e n  c l u s t e r s,  s o  t h a t  e v e r y t h i n g  i s           s i n g l e   s p a c e d.  

__________________________________________________________________________________
    N3WZ:

03/22/03- Acid and Hexed 166 185 185 170 178 181 185 101 185 180 101 167 183 170           166 176 101 174 179 101 185 180 101 184 170 187 170 183 166 177 101 173           180 186 184 170 184 and had minimal success.

03/23/03- Acid and Hexed split for the boarder and aquired [jerky, banana                   chips, and ribbed condoms]
    03/25/03- Acid and Hexed pull their mission: "coin jackpot", and miserably failed           aquiring [$000.00].
    03/26/03- Hexed and Nick plan trip to DEFCON 11, book room at Alexis Park, Las              Vegas!
    03/26/03- 9:42-9:46pm- The  GREATEST DAY IN [I.N.H] HISTORY! Google and, not or             but and, yahoo servers were hacked by godlike men, shutting down over             30% of entire internet for 3 minutes!! Dread also, made an extremely              fine cali girl fall for him like "McBell" fell in the hands of the                great "captain Crunch"!
    03/27/03- The hacker group known as the "Patriot Freedom Cyber Force Militia"               hacked and defaced an arab "anti-american" site incerting a giant                 American Flag displaying "GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS" down the middle, the              dumbass paki's still have no idea how to stop this 'denial-of-service'            attack!
    e;fhasdaghkaghag

__________________________________________________________________________________           HEXED           |           ACID           |           DREAD                                      |                          |                            >

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Sounds like a good argument for purchasing a yagi. 802.11b is supposed to be 1500 feet, but don't plan on much from across the road with all that cement in between.

Leave a comment:

• TeraPheX
    replied
    Defcon wireless

Leave a comment:

• Kashan
    replied
    i am also toting a couple of 802.11a laptops.

Leave a comment:

• dataworm
    replied
    I will probably bring some 802.11g gear... But they are still in my shoping list

Leave a comment:

• simple3
    replied
    I will most likely be bringing a couple of 802.11a equipped laptops.

--simple3

Leave a comment:

• Ghent
    replied
    Please still bring your gear, it may well be handy as this year we're getting the network up much sooner, so we may have the extra time to place any bridging devices around the hotel.

On a tangent. Will anyone be bringing 802.11a or .11g cards? We had a small .11a presence last year but it went almost unused.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    So does my linksys... although I do not argue that it is crap in comparison to lucent or cisco

I will be obtaining a cisco and/or lucent soon, but won't want to part with it.. so I guess I'm out

Leave a comment:

• Evil
    replied
    SMC, Linksys, D-Link, and other such junk can stay home. If it doesn't speak SNMP then it's a lot more of a pain for us.
    Actually my D-Link 713P speaks SNMP

Leave a comment:

• Ghent
    replied
    AP's and other loaner gear

If you have anything you'd like to contribute I need to know what hardware you have down to the specific manuf/model as well as if you can mail it to us beforehand to integrate into the test network.

We (the neteng team) need to get this gear configured beforehand to get it all running smoothly well before con begins on thursday (effectively).

We are looking for Cisco & Lucent (Agere) access points. Symbol ones are okay as well.

SMC, Linksys, D-Link, and other such junk can stay home. If it doesn't speak SNMP then it's a lot more of a pain for us.

Thank you all.
    -Ghent

ghent@23.org

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    Ok..since there is enough interest I sent a mail off to the DC planning list. Basicaly I dont want to go posting folks email addresses openly, so if our network folks decide they want donated APs, I'm gonna see if I can get a mail alias set up you folks can mail.

UPDATE..
    Ah the power of the Internet. I hadnt even finished this thread when I got mail from Lockheed (one of our net guys). Apparently this has already been a topic of discussion with the network team. If you want to loan/donate an AP, go ahead and mail
    wireless {at} concernd.com with your infoz.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X