Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    menus from the place on-site. looks like they are open 11-9 on Weds/Thurs?

you might want to call and ask to be sure, however.

Click image for larger version

Name:	menu_01.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	224140 Click image for larger version

Name:	menu_02.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	224141

Leave a comment:

• BrewBalls
    replied
    Awesome work getting this thing back on the rails! Super excited about my first DEF CON shoot. I'm bringing out my newly built AR-15 and my 9mm PPQ. Wondering how much ammo to bring? Is ammo available to purchase from this place? Trying to find it on their website but it is not the easiest thing to do on my phone.

Leave a comment:

• Chip512
    replied
    Originally posted by seeess View Post

Anytime you see regulations relating to the "public range" they probably don't apply to us. Unless deviant did something different, we should be at the "education center" which they told me is operated independently. They did mention the 50 cal restriction on the 50 yard range, which I think we may be at, but let's wait for details from deviant.

Also, I think deviant just phished me out of the reservation I had booked yesterday for the group. They didn't even call me to confirm deviant was part of the same group.
    Cool! Education center rules on page 34 are a lengthier version of Deviant's "Don't be a dick" admonition.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by fylion View Post
    I don't shoot. I don't own guns. I've been following this forum anyways because I think the DEF CON shoot is really cool. This is a really impressive turn around, and it's nice to see it all came together.
    i owe so very much to Quiet for posting the news when he did (so i could have at least 4 or 5 days to scramble an early arrival into the city and figure shit out) and especially to seeess who did so much research, calling other places while I was in the air for two days straight.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    just confirmed with the party rental place... we are eliminating the canopies but adding in their two big cool misting fans. so that's something, at least, to keep temperatures down.

nobody complain to me if humid air gets on your guns... if they can't handle varied moisture conditions, then move further down the firing line, away from the cool air, hah! :-D

Leave a comment:

• fylion
    replied
    I don't shoot. I don't own guns. I've been following this forum anyways because I think the DEF CON shoot is really cool. This is a really impressive turn around, and it's nice to see it all came together.

Leave a comment:

• Weinie
    replied
    Fantastic. You know I've been trying to get ot to the CC range for a few years now, but it's on the other side of the valley from where I live.

Deviant, let me know if you need $$$, glad to chip in.

Also, when making lanes, if one side or the other is open I need to setup my BAR, M60 and 1919a4 (no BFG-50A I guess).

Weinie

Leave a comment:

• EchoKilo
    replied
    New location looks great, glad the shoots still on. They got an ARX for rental? Now that I might have to take advantage of just so I can say I have considering how badly trashed that rifle is, assuming I can actually get my ass out there. I got Lyft if all else fails. Thanks for making this happen in such short notice, as a fellow logistics madman I salute you.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    Thanks for being so aggressive with finding alternate solutions and communicating details as they changed to the people involved
    thanks! i just finished sending out not only the Announce List messages but also mass-mailing every single Shoot participant (registered guest, volunteers, speakers) via conventional email in order to do my very level best in ensuring that no one goes to the wrong spot.

the old Directions page has been totally taken down (just so no one accidentally hits it via an old link) and we've tweeted and posted as much as we can here. i just really really hope i don't hear about folk unfortunately heading out to the old site and finding no one there. ;-)

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    From the web-page for the shooting park, It looks like the new site has firearm rentals available. That might create more opportunities for people arriving without firearms, if it works as the website suggests.
    that is correct. see attached Click image for larger version

Name:	firearms.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	224120

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by seeess View Post
    Also, I think deviant just phished me out of the reservation I had booked yesterday for the group. They didn't even call me to confirm deviant was part of the same group.
    i know how to social engineer, sir. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    indeed. this spot will be hotter both daytime and nighttime. we'll just have to manage as best we can. (and possibly use those big mist fans)
    Thanks for being so aggressive with finding alternate solutions and communicating details as they changed to the people involved.

From the web-page for the shooting park, It looks like the new site has firearm rentals available. That might create more opportunities for people arriving without firearms, if it works as the website suggests.

Thanks again for your hard work to keep this running,
    -Cot
    :-)

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    indeed. this spot will be hotter both daytime and nighttime. we'll just have to manage as best we can. (and possibly use those big mist fans)

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    I've been out to the site where they have this. At the time, it was under construction. From memory, the difference in elevation from downtown LV to the old park-land site which is closed , was greater than the elevation difference at this site. At the site which is closed to shooting, the elevation was high enough that it was often ~10 degrees or more cooler than downtown Las Vegas. This new location will be hotter, on average, than the old location, especially at night.

According to google earth, the old location is ~5000 ft above sea level and the new location is ~2700 ft above sea level and downtown Las vegas is around 2000 feet above sea level.

~2300 vertical elevation difference will change things a bit.

HTH,
    -Cot

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    so... this will be the Money Post

i haven't run all the numbers, but it looks like i'll be able to manage the changes to the Shoot this year without going totally broke. our major rental cost from the party supplier in the past was the tent canopies. they are not needed this year. so that's a big cost savings (over $1000, actually)

there are big new costs, however. two of them, principally:

1. the Clark County Shooting Complex has fees associated with use of the Education Range. the range itself, the RSO that we have from them (he oversees our RSOs and thus we are covered by their insurance), electric/lighting fee... all of this totals up around $400+

2. keeping cool will possibly be a big issue, so i am looking to pivot some more of our savings on the party rental into cool air misting fans. there is a water hookup out at the site and electric power. i plan to hopefully have at least one (maybe more) cooling mist fans out there near the lanes. i don't know how well this will work but i want to try.

... in the end, i will be as public as i feasibly can with receipts and change costs, etc. i want people to know how the costs shifted and where money went. i remain steadfast in my commitment to offer refund options (partial or whole) to anyone who asks. once it's all over, if you feel in ANY WAY that what you had previously paid for did not equate to what you experienced, please email me and we can talk about what funds can be reversed back to you.

the biggest people who have legit gripes here will be those who reserved shooting lanes. We will figure out the best way to approach this on site, but the chance is real that "official" lane renters (who paid extra) may see "unofficial" lanes pop up further down the firing line (and see those lanes occupied by folk who did not pay extra)

please, just email me when this is all over and we can talk about how i can make things right for you. i know that last minute changes suck and the last thing i want ANYONE to come away with is feelings of being taken advantage of.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Originally posted by L0g1c View Post
    Camping status? What's the drive time between the hotels & this new venue?
    we are allowed to camp. well, we can bivouac. i honestly have NO idea who would want to be in a tent, anyway, out there. it will be in the mid 80s all night long, i expect.

the drive is not long. i made it in about 30 to 35 minutes each way today. Uber and taxis and such will get you there, if need be. see the new directions page on the DEF CON Shoot site for more exact details.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 28, 2016, 21:38.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X