X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Beginner) Fighting a Virus with a Spreadsheet

Title: (Beginner) Fighting a Virus with a Spreadsheet

Description:
    On 27 June 2017, a piece of malware raced across the globe and took out many organisations including some that were similar to the one I was employed at. But we were safe and, in fact, not worried at all.

All thanks to clever use of spreadsheets.

In this talk, given entirely within Excel (yes, really) I go through the methods used to protect the organisation from this malware. If a talk given entirely in Excel sounds boring - you haven't seen this talk.

I have (virtually) given this talk twice - at a local Australian conference called ComfyCon and at a charity event hosted by Second Order Chaos. In both cases - they were blown away by the creativity of the "slides" and the fun way that this is presented.

There is a serious aspect to this though. It goes through the different phases of getting an effective patch program established. It has a 'hacker' aspect to it in that it asks people to be excited and interested and curious about their security controls and the processes that lead to the outcomes that are achieved.

I've thrown some humour and some easter eggs into the presentation.

Speaker(s): Allen Baranov

Discord: https://discord.com/channels/7082082...54317658734613

Event starts: 2020-08-07 18:30 (06:30 PM) PDT (UTC -07:00)

Event ends: 2020-08-07 19:00 (07:00 PM) PDT (UTC -07:00)

For the most up-to-date information, please either visit https://info.defcon.org, or use HackerTracker, which is available for iOS and Android. This is an automated message, and this data was last modified 2020-08-03T01:16 (UTC).
    Starts
    August 7, 2020 18:30
    Ends
    August 7, 2020 19:00
    Blue Team Vlg / Blue Team Vlg - Talks Track 1
    Last edited by aNullValue; August 2, 2020, 19:50.

This is my talk and has been moved out an hour to be from 6:30pm to 7:00pm Vegas time.

Comment

Originally posted by abaranov View Post
      This is my talk and has been moved out an hour to be from 6:30pm to 7:00pm Vegas time.
      Thanks for the heads-up! I verified the Blue Team Village schedule, and updated events accordingly.

Comment

👍

Comment

Working...
        X