Ghost in the Wires - Week 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost in the Wires - Week 1

This book is 433 pages so I am going to spread it over 6 weeks. That works out to 10 to 11 pages per day. For week one, what do you think about Kevin's start as a hacker? Is it typical? How does it compare to your start in the community? Also open discussion. Link to the book here https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Wires-A...al-text&sr=1-1

Besides Kevin taking credit for other peoples work on occasion, and his relentless self promotion, he had total dedication to his goals. Need to see if you are being investigated? Break into the telco office of the person doing the investigating and root through their file cabinet! Sometimes having no fear and taking big risks pays off and creates legends.

The Federal prosecutor, Christopher Painter, who prosecuted Kevin later went on to help draft the US Strategy for Cyber Space and working at the State Department on global policy issues. The stories he tells about that prosecution is pretty comical.
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
      Besides Kevin taking credit for other peoples work on occasion, and his relentless self promotion, he had total dedication to his goals. Need to see if you are being investigated? Break into the telco office of the person doing the investigating and root through their file cabinet! Sometimes having no fear and taking big risks pays off and creates legends.

The Federal prosecutor, Christopher Painter, who prosecuted Kevin later went on to help draft the US Strategy for Cyber Space and working at the State Department on global policy issues. The stories he tells about that prosecution is pretty comical.
      I've heard that about him, but I have never met him, or talked to him, and the people I do know who talk about him - I don't know how well they know him, on top of that I don't know what credit he has supposedly claimed that wasn't rightfully his.... So I guess I am pretty open-minded on that point. I can believe it either way. To your point about dedication and fearlessness, I guess you can call it that, but from what I know it always caused him more trouble. Maybe not immediately but down the line. I'd like to hear some of the prosecutor's stories but I am so far outside the loop on all this stuff I'll just have to wait until the book comes out.

Comment

Working...
      X