DEF CON Forum Site Header Art

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm now in Vegas. I did not buy a badge in advance. Can I still get a badge on Thursday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm now in Vegas. I did not buy a badge in advance. Can I still get a badge on Thursday?

Did not realize that I could not get a badge in person as we have in previous years. But I'm here, with my partner. It'll be her first DefCon. Will we be able to get badges Thursday starting at 7 AM? We have proof of vaccination.

Originally posted by joemcl View Post
    Did not realize that I could not get a badge in person as we have in previous years. But I'm here, with my partner. It'll be her first DefCon. Will we be able to get badges Thursday starting at 7 AM? We have proof of vaccination.
    The present schedule claims that people should be able to claim their in-person DEF CON 29 badges with the code they were sent or buy their in-person DEF CON 29 badges with cash.

According to this thread ( https://forum.defcon.org/node/238509 ) you will need the original proof of vaccination provided to you by your vaccination provider.

According to the thread, you (and anyone else planning to attend DEF CON 29 in-person) will bring your government issued photo ID and original proof of vaccination to the first vaccination check table. Their task is to confirm your photo ID image matches "you" and the name on the photo ID matches the name on the original proof of being "fully vaccinated" (CDC definition).

CDC definition for fully vaccinated is basically, the complete series of the vaccine including the final shot being completed at least 2 weeks before you pick up your badge. For J&J the last shot is 1 shot, and for Pfizer or Moderna it is presently the second shot of two shots.

They are not supposed to take any pictures or record any information about any attendee... just confirm the documents and if they can confirm all of the checks, put a wrist-band on your wrist to indicate you completed the vaccination validation. You wear that the whole con. If it becomes damaged, bring the original damaged wristband back to show the damage and see about a replacement.

Next you have in-person DEF CON 29 Badge purchase or claim.

If you bought an in-person DEF CON 29 badge online, you should have a QR-code / bar-code which you can use to claim a badge.

If you did not purchase a badge online, then you have to compete against other people buying badges with cash. It was announced there is a limit of around 1,000 badges available for cash payment, and there is a maximum cap to how many will be sold for cash. (The "around 1,000" means there may be more than 1,000 or less than 1,000 -- it is an estimate.) If you plan to pay with cash, maybe help improve your odds by arriving early in the sale process which is supposed to open at 7am Thursday.

I have read that people that pre-paid for a badge online mean a badge will be waiting for them on Thursday for pickup, so less need for them to rush and arrive super early.

There may be 2 lines: one for cash purchase and one for badge claim with code. Please look for signs or listen to goons about which ways to go.

If you are uncertain, ask a goon as you get closer to the badge purchase/claim.
    If a goon in the room does not know, try asking a goon at an "InfoBooth"

Good luck!
    Disclaimer: I do not run or control any villages, contests, events, parties, etc. at DEF CON. Any announcements or updates about Villages, Contests, Events, Parties, etc. posted by me include content from the people running it. I am not responsible for their content or claims. Any answers provided by me about these are best-effort with information i have available at the time of posting/edit but are NOT authoritative. For official answers, contact the organizers. I grant permission to any DEF CON Forum admins to alter announcements for these as needed.
    ------------------------------------------
    6: "Who is Number1?"
    2: "You are number6"
    6: "I am not a number!..."

Comment

• joemcl
      joemcl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much!

Ok just seeing that there are limited onsite cash badges available....

"Notice for #defcon29 in-person attendees: Online registration closes July 29. That's your last chance to buy a guaranteed badge. After that it's cash at the door, but please know that we’ve only got about 1,000 spaces for cash customers.

To be certain you get in, registering online by the 29th is your best bet. We don’t want to turn anyone away but we will once we reach capacity. Please consider pre-reg at http://shop.defcon.org if you don't want to YOLO it at the door.

Masks and proof of vaccination remain 100% required."

Comment

Working...
    X