HHV Rube Goldberg Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHV Rube Goldberg Machine

We are inviting you to participate in building a giant complicated machine to do something simple, in this case move bits. This is some space to ask questions, share ideas, and find partners. Details found here: https://dchhv.org/events/hhv_rgb.html
    -------------------------------------
    Vaka vanha Väinämöinen
    käski nuoren, käski vanhan

Actually, this sounds like a fun challenge! :)

In looking over your docs, it seems like all you want is bytes in -> bytes out, with a allowable 600 seconds (600,000 ms, 10 minutes) :) latency between input and output.

In my mind I'm imagining one of those 3d printed ball machines that has two paths for a ball to travel, one for a high bit and another for a low bit, and sensors to determine if the ball rolls down the high bit or the low bit chute, then reassembles the byte and spits it out the output port. Sounds like total nonsense and a project for someone with too much time on their hands. :)

I don't know if I will actually try to build such a thing, but I did 3d print and build a few of those dum-dum ball machines during the height of the pandemic and it may give me an opportunity to put those skills to work, other than for amusing-for-5-minutes desk toys. :)

Comment

We did leave the method of transfer as open as possible. Looking forward to seeing what everyone brings. Going to be a grand old time!
      Vaka vanha Väinämöinen

Comment

Hello Hardware Hackers! Looking forward to seeing everyone in Vegas.

This RGB sounds like good fun. A few questions...

It sounds like the connections should use DB-9 (not DB-25), correct?

Are the typical male/female conventions to be followed?

DB-9 DTE: MALE
        DB-9 DCE: FEMALE

Are the typical DB-9 pin assignments to be used?

DB-9 DTE ( MALE ): RX on pin 2, TX on pin 3.
        DB-9 DCE (FEMALE): RX on pin 3, TX on pin 2.

If so, the example given under "between the ports" might be confusing...

"RX from DCE (pin 2) to TX of DTE (pin 3)" should probably be
        "RX from DCE (pin 3) to TX of DTE (pin 3)"

These gender and pin conventions allow for simple chaining of devices w/o null modems or gender changers in between.

Lastly, must each device be battery powered or will shore/mains power be provided?

Comment

That all sounds like reasonable assumptions. While I am not going to say that whatever you bring we will make it work, we are interested in making sure that things that are brought can be played with. A fair number of converters and gender benders will likely be on hand, but the more people that decide that DB-9s work and conventions are followed, the easier it will be to get everyone connected. But we also understand this is DEFCON, and sometimes all that is on hand is all that was there. We will work with whoever brings stuff to play with to make the best out of the situation.

We will be allowing a fair number of items to pull power from an available plug, but batteries can be used (if any power is needed at all).
          Vaka vanha Väinämöinen

Comment

Working...
          X