Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• euro12
    replied
    (from the "pull a dead thread back alive" department)

I promised to post how things were going in my quest, so I thought I'd drop a bit of status info. I ended up going with the new USB Delorme Earthmate GPS receiver. The thing is uber-sweet, cause it's so small, and only needs one cable to run (pulling power off of the USB connection). It also has a battery pack + bluetooth accessory coming soon, I'll be watching for that.

This took a bit of finagling to get to work, but it finally started cooperating with Netstumbler and other programs. The maps aren't what I was hoping for so far, since it's just the coordinates of my location when the signal was detected; no attempt at locating the signal source, and the sig strength indicator option for the program I'm using (Street Atlas) isn't very attractive.

One program that I can't recommend enough is USAPhotoMaps (http://jdmcox.com/). It's free (donation), pulls images from the terraserver. It's been mentioned before in this forum, that's how I learned about it.

Anyway, it now takes me about 10 minutes to set up before I can go driving, so I'm well on my way to being a driving addict. I wonder if anyone offers 12-step programs for that...

Leave a comment:

• TwinVega
    replied
    Re: Re: cygwin

Originally posted by Chris
    The ISS drivers for Wireless Scanner will do this as well, but Wireless Scanner is expensive and as of the last time I tested it, no GPS support, howver that could have changed but I doubt it. I could go look at www.iss.net and verify my ifo, but if I am wrong one of you fucktards will certainly point it out for me ;)
    From what I get out of it, I think you're right, they don't say that they support it, so most likely they do not. Here's a more direct link if anyone wants to investigate further. http://www.iss.net/products_services...r_wireless.php

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Re: cygwin

Originally posted by rusty
    kismet will compile under cygwin; however there are no drivers for windows wireless cards that support rfmon mode, which is needed for kismet to work.

(except for the airopeek drivers, but that is another story. for more info on that, check out http://airsnort.shmoo.com)

-Rusty
    The ISS drivers for Wireless Scanner will do this as well, but Wireless Scanner is expensive and as of the last time I tested it, no GPS support, howver that could have changed but I doubt it. I could go look at www.iss.net and verify my ifo, but if I am wrong one of you fucktards will certainly point it out for me ;)

Leave a comment:

• rusty
    replied
    cygwin

kismet will compile under cygwin; however there are no drivers for windows wireless cards that support rfmon mode, which is needed for kismet to work.

(except for the airopeek drivers, but that is another story. for more info on that, check out http://airsnort.shmoo.com)

There is 1 capture source that does work under kismet with windows, it is the wsp100 wireless sniffer, which actually broadcasts it's finding via udp. The sensor is no longer made, and used to cost about $300 I think.

Anyways back onto topic:
    I have tried compiling gpsmap, under CYGWIN; however one of it's dependendices is imagemagick, and imagemagick won't compile under cygwin due to a lot of dependencies that also need to be fixed to compile under cygwin.

If you want to take that task on, that would be awesome. =)
    I would imagine that with some work you could cross compile gpsmap to run under windows.

And to solve the capture source problems...
    currently warglue / warkizniz doesn't let you convert from netstumbler format to kismet....... only from kismet to netstumbler. If that ever gets worked out, then you could always export netstumbler to kismet, then run it through your cygwin compiled binary of gpsmap. Or maybe by then a open source windows driver that supports rf monitor mode will be available.

An even cooler thing, would be making a frontend, similar to stumbverter for gpsmap, allowing users to import mappointmaps, or something of a higher resolution, and use gpsmap to plot to those.

I'm probably rambling on with a lot of random thoughts, but i've messed with this a bit and think it would be very cool.

good luck,

-Rusty

Leave a comment:

• euro12
    replied
    A friend pointed me in a sensible direction: install cygwin. That's something I want to do no matter what, because I need to sink my fingers deeper into the unix environment, but if I can manage to get kismet going too, that would be gravy.

I've only just started trying, I'll post about my progress. Hopefully the GPS unit should be here in a few days, just in time to try it out. :)

Leave a comment:

• euro12
    replied
    Curse you, Windows!

I suppose it's not too late to switch to dual-boot...

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    >It also should be able to display an estimate range: "the AP >should be somewhere within this circle", that sort of thing.

I don't think you can do that with stumbverter. I think it's more of a mappoint limitation, than a stumbverter problem.

You are correct, but that is the closest he is going to come in WinWorld.;)

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    Warglue, at its current release, converts kismet to ns1 or kismet to wiscan. As for the warwis module, the inverse is not in there yet, but it is actually being worked on at the moment, along with some bug fixes and general code changes ;)

I've already had the code to do it.. just rearranging stuff to be more sane and global first

Leave a comment:

• rusty
    replied
    >It also should be able to display an estimate range: "the AP >should be somewhere within this circle", that sort of thing.

I don't think you can do that with stumbverter. I think it's more of a mappoint limitation, than a stumbverter problem.

What would be cool is a windows port based on gpsmap, using imagemagick libs to draw, and whatnot, it could be easily ported from linux with cygwin and you could make it draw the maps on the higher res mappoint maps. I'm not up to it, but if anybody with programming skills was, they could probably go off of the gpsmap source, and do it fairly quick. Perhaps convert from .ns1 to kismet format with warglue (does it do it backwards? I'm pretty sure it does) so you dont have to do as much dirty programming work. Maybe even make a frontend or gui for it. =)

..imaginitive thinking...getting off topic

What mapservers does gpsmap use

(kismet --help reveals that it uses these mapservers)
    Mapblast, MapPoint, Terraserver, And Tiger US Census

Oh yeah, check out my map using mappoint, stumbverter, and some replacement icons. (dots) Those maps with the radiation, etc get messy when you have too many networks. I gave up on those once I passed 100 access points.

http://www.crackrock.org <--map --shameless self promotion.

-Rusty
    Last edited by rusty; May 2, 2003, 18:48.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    For Windows you will want to use Microsoft MapPoint 2k2 and Stumbverter. Mappoint is commercial, Stumbverter is beggar ware (http://www.sonar-security.com/). Examples of the maps made can be found at www.worldwidewardrive.org/wwwd2 and www.securitytribe.com/wardrive

Kismet is *nix only.

Leave a comment:

• euro12
    replied
    Re: yes

here's an example of one of those maps

http://www.notorious.ws/WarDrive_Tuc...ower_clean.png
    Man! That is exactly like what I was picturing. Only problem is my laptop is running XP. I've never seen anything about a Windows version of Kismet, but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

Leave a comment:

• murakami
    replied
    Re: yes

What mapserver does gpsmap use now?

Vicinity was assimilated by Microsoft, so the mapping software is now MapPoint.NET

Leave a comment:

• rusty
    replied
    yes

I know that the gpsmap utillity that comes with kismet will draw mathematically triangulated RF radiation circles for you, based on all of your first and last seen gps coordinates. I also know Kismet has a feature to follow the center of the network based on signal strength at various coordinates.

http://www.kismetwireless.net

Leave a comment:

• euro12
    started a topic GPS mapping abilities?

GPS mapping abilities?

(I tried to do a thorough search first, but since you can't search for the term 'GPS' [too short], I might have missed something. Sorry...)

I'm pretty new to the entire wireless field, but I've fallen completely in love. Have a wireless network going at home, have a laptop with a wireless NIC, and Netstumbler going to do some good ol' innocent wardriving.

My next logical step is GPS. I've been looking at the different units/receivers, and hope to get one sometime soon. But my big question is about the mapping software. Is there software out there that's designed specifically for wardriving?

It seems to me that a program could refine the location of an AP just by comparing the receiver's current location with the signal strength; some basic triangulation could help refine it down to be pretty accurate. It also should be able to display an estimate range: "the AP should be somewhere within this circle", that sort of thing. Is there software that does this? Or do they all just log the position of the receiver when a signal is detected?

And, y'know, if you have strong feelings about certain GPS devices, I'd be curious to know. :)
Working...
X