X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q42
    replied
    I liked the program this year.

My only complaint is that we ran out of them. (You already told me why.)

Way I see it is, however many badges we get, we should print that number + 5-10%.

Lots of people come to the reg desk seeking additional/replacement programs because the one we gave them got lost/stolen/drowned/covered in something I'd rather not know about.

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    Originally posted by pezz
    Why not print the schedule like the spiffy badges this year. You could actually print double or even triple the info on one side and depending on how you held it, you could read the info you wanted. ....heh.........
    Do you realises how much your head would hurt looking at that? That is not the sort of pain we need added on to our hangovers.

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    how about a palm and win CE version of the program?

Leave a comment:

• pezz
    replied
    Why not print the schedule like the spiffy badges this year. You could actually print double or even triple the info on one side and depending on how you held it, you could read the info you wanted. ....heh.........

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    I love the programs, and wouldn't want to sacrifice all the pretty stuff. I usually don't sit down to look at it until well after I get home, and it never disappoints with entertaining write-ups. One thing I'd really like to see is the schedule being on a seperate insert, on heavier card stock and easily folded (tri-fold style, maybe?). Having the schedule seperate would make it easy to carry around, and it could also be printed later than the full-colour program, allowing it to be more up-to-date.

Leave a comment:

• Kry0NiK
    replied
    As much as i hate the scrolling on most tv shows/networks now days, it might be a good idea to scroll upcoming talks and locations along the bottom of the video feeds for quick reference.

Leave a comment:

• pyrophite
    replied
    just put the whole damn thing in a cheap pda to hand out :D

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    ... a third camp would be a compromise of both camps above mentioned in which data placement would be the key... put all the immediately valuable data at the front (perhaps even including the cover).. and all the fun stuff in the back (the pages following the important data)...

Leave a comment:

• blackbeetle
    replied
    2 camps

Ah, the 2 camps emerge:

practical and minimal
    or
    fashionable and expansive

[Option 1] We can cut the editorials and all the other fluff- pics, etc and make it a pretty small and tight program with only con related materials. There will be no histories, stories, etc- only bare bones information- event, organizer, time, location- only pertinent information need be included. We can do one or two color on cheap paper, small or possibly get everything on a single sheet of paper. No need for anything fancier and would cut our efforts by half or more.

Or

[Option 2] We can go along with what we have done the last few years and hopefully expand the program- more of everything. This is the most time and effort intensive option and not one that we wish to continue if it really isn't warranted or appreciated.

Keep in mind that besides the badge, the program is the only other "signature" Defcon piece that (most) delegates receive.

If the vast majority does not view it that way, we can go to Option 1, the super dumbed down version of the con program which will be called the "con agenda" that provide onlyl the most basic information. We'll spend the saved time on updating the website or making improvements to other aspects of the con.

PS: Yes, there will be a pdf version of the DC 11 program by the end of next week.

Leave a comment:

• bitster
    replied
    what program?

there were none left by the time we registered, at 2-3pm Friday. arg! This made seeing speakers a pain in the ass, obviously. I ended up copying schedules from the info booth, then making a number of hand copies for my buds - I felt like a medieval monk. ;p

I also wanted to read articles & stuff I've yet to see - is there perhaps a PDF version up somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    This years sticks out in my mind as one of the better programs. Though I also vote for page numbers and a table of contents. I don't know how many times I flipped through the thing looking for info, knowing it was there somewhere.

Having the schedual on the inside of the front or back cover rather than buried in the middle makes it easier for quick looks. I ended up finding a trashed program in the parking lot and just ripped out the schedual pages for quick reference.

A PDF after the con would be cool for those that lost/trashed thiers

Leave a comment:

• Shatter
    replied
    Re: The Printed Program

Originally posted by javajedi
    I thought the printed program was awesome, one possible improvement for next year might be making the con schedule and perhaps even the entire program available as a pda formatted document, something that could be downloaded and synced before or at the con.
    We did that at the DOC table a few years ago, surprisingly it wasn't used much. Maybe 15-20 came by for a synch.

I think too many people are paranoid of what might get sent with it.

We talked in the wrap up meeting of printing the actual lecture times and locations on a seperate, small pocket sized piece of paper. That way the prgram can be nicely layed out in advance, with all details and such, and the actual times and locations can be ran off fast & last minute to accont for changes.

We're also looking at ways to have a dynamic schedule posted around that hotel that can be constantly updated. The projector at the Info Booth is the obvious first spot, with other locations to be determined.

--S

Leave a comment:

• javajedi
    replied
    The Printed Program

I thought the printed program was awesome, one possible improvement for next year might be making the con schedule and perhaps even the entire program available as a pda formatted document, something that could be downloaded and synced before or at the con.

Leave a comment:

• 3believers
    replied
    Defcon 11 program:

Biggest needs:

A table of contents in the front, referencing *everything* contained in the booklet.

The compass points N,S,W,E printed on the hotel map. (It is printed "upside down" in relation to cardinal points.)

An "Errata" loose insert to correct information, if there have been last-minute changes made to any aspect of the con after the programs have been printed.

Organize the speech/speaker information in the same order that they appear on the schedule, rather than alphabetized by speaker's name. List the room and time of each speaker's speech with the info blurb.

Unless the size of the booklet is enlarged next year, omit the editorials. I'd rather see more space and info given to the actual events -- skydiving, lockpicking, leeto, etc., which were certainly given short shrift and minimal space in this booklet.

Larger type font. And pay more attention to how that type looks on a particular background color. Black type on gray background (Welcome page) was particularly tiring to the eyes to read. Gray type on black (Movie page) was better, but could have been more distinct.

Slightly larger overall size -- ~9"x6" is a medium-sized paperback book. The program for DefCon 9 was far too large and unwieldy. What's wrong with a standard 8.5"x11" format? Easy to handle, easy to carry, easy to read.

Choice of slightly slick, reflective paper was good.

Very nice artwork this year.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Maybe we could have the speaker bios/summaries in the program and then each morning put index card sized schedules of the day at the info booth, registration, and the media table.

That way any last minute changes would be on them. Also, when/if a change is made new cards could be printed and placed at the tables.

That might end up being more wasteful than beneficial though depending on the number of last minute changes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X