X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cyr0n_k0r
    replied
    Originally posted by Astral
    ok first of all, i OWN the proxim orinoco b/g gold card. IT STILL HAS THE ANTENNA JACK. here is the problem with this great card. They changed the connector port to another proprietary type. They sell the new one from hyperlinktech.com
    I found this out the hard way after i baught my card ($84) and then a pigtail for orinoco. well it arrived, and it seemed a little tough to pop on, but it did. now i cannot ever pull it off or i will rip out the internals to the card and the antenna connector. i called proxim to bitch, they could do nother nor does the 3 year warrenty cover this. they did send instructions for how to disassemble the card and remove the antenna conecter manually thus voiding all warrenties implied with the card period. so i sadi fuck you, ill just leave it plugged in permanently.
    im using it in conjuction with a 5dB gain omni-directional antenna that magmounts to the car. this thing has EXCELLENT range, and im looking into buying a bi=directional 800mW amp for it. increasing over all gains to around TX=17dB and RX=15dB

but yea,. the proxim has the connecter

DUDE, answer your freakin PM's. I need to know which antenna I need to buy that wont be permantly attached to my card. you said they had a new antenna with a new plug.. but the website doesnt say anything about it.

Link or model number please?

Leave a comment:

• ck3k
    replied
    can anyone get exact numbers for this card?, cause I want to look into purchasing it just to kinda say see how it works.

Leave a comment:

• rusty
    replied
    Proxim B/G Cards

Here's a good indicator that at least 1 model does have the antenna jacks.

A local kid here just bought one of those B/G cards with the specific intention to use it for wardriving.

I Informed him that he made a mistake, as I was almost positive that the new orinoco cards did not have antenna connectors.

Much to my / his surprise the card DOES have an antenna jack.
    (or at least 1 model of it does)

;)

Leave a comment:

• ck3k
    replied
    Christmas is comming up and my list will diffenatly include several wireless routers, and a bfa (big fucking antenna) So far I havnt dabbled into G, if i get some time/money i deffinatly will.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    )
    Originally posted by converge
    Doh! Thanks Chris... for some reason I've been under the impression that g makes use of UNII1 also to acheive 55mbps... maybe I just need to stop talking out my ass and start playing with some g gear :p

Haha...no..the UNII1, UNII2, and UNII3 is how they split the 5.0 ghz band.

On a side note, and not related to his topic (I will probably end up splitting my own reply into it's own thread, maybe I'll even post my email and IP :) ) I am planning to pick up a WRV54G this weekend: http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=565

Has anyone played with this yet? I like the built in VPN capability and it's only about $50 more than the WRT54G. I would dig some feedback on it though if anyone has any experiences.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    because it operates on 2.4 ghz like 802.11b, as opposed to 5.0 ghz like 802.11a.
    Doh! Thanks Chris... for some reason I've been under the impression that g makes use of UNII1 also to acheive 55mbps... maybe I just need to stop talking out my ass and start playing with some g gear :p

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by converge
    Does the external antenna actually function while using g? or is it just for b communication?.... How do they get around the FCC with it otherwise? /me will have to start googling this card

If I am not mistaken, and I rarely am ;) , then the FCC has no issue with 802.11g and external antennas. The FCC has issue with 802.11a and external antenna, and only then when UNII 1 is used. That is because it was mandated for indoor use only, whereas UNII2 and UNII3 can have external antennas. Most (actually I think all) 802.11a devices use a combination of UNII1 and UNII2 which means no external antenna connectors in the US. This doesn't apply to 802.11g because it operates on 2.4 ghz like 802.11b, as opposed to 5.0 ghz like 802.11a.

Leave a comment:

• ck3k
    replied
    I also want to know this. I thought that the smiling guy card didnt have an external antenna dealio.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    Does the external antenna actually function while using g? or is it just for b communication?.... How do they get around the FCC with it otherwise? /me will have to start googling this card

Leave a comment:

• cyr0n_k0r
    replied
    better pics.

http://www.lanschoolyard.com/1.jpg
    http://www.lanschoolyard.com/2.jpg

It also uses the Atheros chipset, so that means currently for Netstum .30 you have to use the NDIS.

Leave a comment:

• Astral
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwave
    got pics of your circumstance?
    right here.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by Astral
    got pics of your circumstance?

Leave a comment:

• Astral
    replied
    ok first of all, i OWN the proxim orinoco b/g gold card. IT STILL HAS THE ANTENNA JACK. here is the problem with this great card. They changed the connector port to another proprietary type. They sell the new one from hyperlinktech.com
    I found this out the hard way after i baught my card ($84) and then a pigtail for orinoco. well it arrived, and it seemed a little tough to pop on, but it did. now i cannot ever pull it off or i will rip out the internals to the card and the antenna connector. i called proxim to bitch, they could do nother nor does the 3 year warrenty cover this. they did send instructions for how to disassemble the card and remove the antenna conecter manually thus voiding all warrenties implied with the card period. so i sadi fuck you, ill just leave it plugged in permanently.
    im using it in conjuction with a 5dB gain omni-directional antenna that magmounts to the car. this thing has EXCELLENT range, and im looking into buying a bi=directional 800mW amp for it. increasing over all gains to around TX=17dB and RX=15dB

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by murakami
    Yes, the wardrivers know. I think Blackwave was keeping a list of orinoco clones at one time.

Blackwave?
    Hmm, I think the list being referenced is this one:
    http://forums.netstumbler.com/showth...1375#post11375 which is maintained by the great and mighty thorn

Leave a comment:

• murakami
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSilentSp0rk
    Compaq WL110 WIFI CARD IS ALSO A ORINOCO IN DISGUISE!!!Hehe just figured you might want to know.
    Yes, the wardrivers know. I think Blackwave was keeping a list of orinoco clones at one time.

Blackwave?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X