Which iPAQ for Wardriving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which iPAQ for Wardriving?

I'm going out to buy an iPAQ today and was wondering, which one should I get for wardriving that is also cheap? I saw alot for around $500 that had 802.11b incorporated into them. Are those the only ones I can use for wardriving?
    The penguin is watching.
    "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Originally posted by EeeekPenguins
    I'm going out to buy an iPAQ today and was wondering, which one should I get for wardriving that is also cheap?
    Depends on what software you want to use (MiniStumbler, Kismet, PocketWarrior etc)

I saw alot for around $500 that had 802.11b incorporated into them. Are those the only ones I can use for wardriving?
    No. But you will need a PCMCIA sleeve. I would get an iPAQ with the built in CF slot so that you could then put Linux on it (http://linux.blacknet.de/ipaq/) and still use the PCMCIA sleeve as opposed to being forced to use the CF sleeve instead. I have a 3765, and because there is no built in CF slot, I am kind of screwed in this regard and have no real choice but mini stumbler.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I'm going out to buy an iPAQ today and was wondering, which one should I get for wardriving that is also cheap? I saw alot for around $500 that had 802.11b incorporated into them. Are those the only ones I can use for wardriving?
      what eeky? Do some research first... seriously. Here is my list for known good working parts and listings:
      http://www.irvineunderground.org/wardrive/wwwd3-results.index.html#blackwave's%20iPAQ%20WarDriving %20Kit...

You get what you pay for regarding the new ipaqs, they are neat and tiny... I only use mine for wardriving, but think it was way worth it. :) I would avoid the built-in everything ones... as now and then they are unsupported from the software due to some oddball chipset (generally speaking)... and that would suck to buy something that you couldn't use and had to get an adapter for if it was supported.

Comment

How cute you called me eeky. Anyways thanks for the info guys. I'am probably just going to use netstumbler, should I still get the PCMCIA sleeve?
        Last edited by EeeekPenguins; September 14, 2003, 14:57.
        The penguin is watching.

Comment

I use a ipaq 3700 thing works just fine, wardriving and all, hooking in the gps was sorta odd, but you can get over it. The sleeves are really cheap on ebay so give that a look. I think I got mine for 40 bucks or so.
          ~:CK:~
          I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Ok heres my set up, tell me how it sounds.

Antenna:
            5dbi Mag Mount

PDA:
            iPAQ 3850 w/ PCMCIA sleeve

GPS:
            Garmin eTrex

WiFi:
            ORiNOCO Gold

Connectors:
            Pigtail
            RadioShack Male DB9-Male DB9 Gender Adapter
            RadioShack Null Modem Adapter
            Belkin USB/Serial Y-Sync Cable for iPAQ H3800 Series

Software:
            MiniStumbler

I think I covered everything I need. I just hope when it all gets here that it all works right. I tried to follow what BW had as best as I could.
            The penguin is watching.

Comment

Is there one piece of software that is better than all else, then we can work backwards to find the best hardware? This assumes of course you can afford the resulting hardware solution.

Comment

I think iam going to stick with minstumbler that way I dont have to load linux on my iPAQ. I'am trying to stay as simple as possible.
                The penguin is watching.

Comment

eeky MiniStumbler is the simplest you can get, using my iPAQ3975 I just stick the entire unit to the window, power on the gps and have everything plugged into a cool cig jack extender, make sure the pigtail is in correct and ride off into the sunset... no brain power required... i even have the sounds set to quarter tones when it detects an AP... though everyone is dying for the up and coming version :D... though it is a few months later than expected :(

Comment

Ok cool I figured ministumbler would be the most simple. I'm really excited to get my own equipment. Ill post all the maps I make of Portland, OR and the areas around it.
                    Last edited by EeeekPenguins; September 19, 2003, 09:14.
                    The penguin is watching.

Comment

These devices look nifty for converting a ipaq's cf slot to a SD slot, and they cost a lot less than the sleeve. Of course, it'll probably look ugly, but if you're concerned with functionality at a low price it might be a solution.

Has anybody had any experience with the CF to pcmcia adapters? Has anybody tried them with linux on ipaq?
                      Apparently they don't addtl require drivers ........ under pocketpc at least. Information online /google/ etc is sparse, so I might have to make myself a "lab rat" and publish the results. ;)

If you want to see these devices then
                      Here's a url for one for $10 + $10 shipping.
                      Having a pcmcia slot on a ipaq is well worth $20, and these are all over the place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29848

Now, If I could just find me a nice price on a used ipaq on ebay with 64MB and CF because most of the newer 64MB+ models have the SD slot only.

Comment

Well, there I was...searching in google for iPAQ wardriving...and found this....and here's my question...
                        I'm from Brazil....so hps iPAQ pocket pcs, are...rather expensive, and so are antenaes, and GPS and all that stuff....I was wondering buying a HP iPAQ RX3115(is the *cheapest* with WiFi 802.11b), is this pocketPC good for wardriving? I mean....ONLY this piece...with no antenae and all the other stuffs???

thx....and sorry bout the english.

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6719246/

Maybe I will sell mine after all, saw this on the news:

Two other men are awaiting sentencing in the Lowe's case. One of them, Adam Timmins, became one of the first people convicted of "wardriving," in which hackers go around with an antenna, searching for vulnerable wireless Internet connections.

Comment

(Re: this link )
                            Originally posted by astcell
                            Maybe I will sell mine after all, saw this on the news...
                            IANAL but I would not expect they were charged with wardriving, but accessory to a crime where at attempt was made to gain unlawful access to a system.

There is a difference between driving around and storing information that is being broadcast and targetting a location with active attacks to try to gain access and steal data/credit card info.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                              what eeky? Do some research first... seriously. Here is my list for known good working parts and listings:
                              http://www.irvineunderground.org/wardrive/wwwd3-results.index.html#blackwave's%20iPAQ%20WarDriving %20Kit...

You get what you pay for regarding the new ipaqs, they are neat and tiny... I only use mine for wardriving, but think it was way worth it. :) I would avoid the built-in everything ones... as now and then they are unsupported from the software due to some oddball chipset (generally speaking)... and that would suck to buy something that you couldn't use and had to get an adapter for if it was supported.
                              May used HP2100

Comment

Working...
                              X