X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ Jackalope
    replied
    i lucked out a couple years ago...
    i lived in the top floor of a condo that got hit by lightning and all we lost was a cheep modem...

jackalope

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    Originally posted by vudu
    If I remeber correctly most tall buildings are grounded so if they are struck in an electrical storm the surge will go into the ground and prevent damage to equipment.

-- vudu
    grounding doesnt really mean all that much when the static reaches lightning force.....

Leave a comment:

• ch0l0man
    replied
    yeah it was rather interesting but i would have to say the 3-5 inchs of hail in watts was by far more crazier.

i found this image on cnn and boy is it crazy, reminds me of something out of bibical times.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by KeLviN
    shuddup, i was feeling lazy and comp. or PC sounded so impersonal......
    But not infantile.

Leave a comment:

• vudu
    replied
    If I remeber correctly most tall buildings are grounded so if they are struck in an electrical storm the surge will go into the ground and prevent damage to equipment.

-- vudu

Leave a comment:

• ck3k
    replied
    Up in northern cali, the storms are mostly mild. I am now at sea level so my chances to have snow are somewhat low. I remember when I was staying at the grand canyon, they had a beautiful thunderstorm.

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    see, i knew i wasnt entirely unjustly paranoid....

and storms are rare here, but earthquakes dont phase me much

Leave a comment:

• Gadsden
    replied
    We have storms here all the time, and I can verify that it will fry a system with the quickness. When I worked in retail, we always knew we would be busy after a storm from all the modems getting fried. I personally keep an APC UPS on every system/hub/etc, and spike absorbers on all cable modem equipment. TV cable and phone lines are usually the first to get fragged, and it is quite common.

Leave a comment:

• ck3k
    replied
    Originally posted by highwizard
    I don't know about "compy's". But, 16 dbi Anntennas can get struck by lighting.. Especially when you are driving through Kansas or Ohio. Though, to give Fab-Corp credit, the Antenna still work after it got struck.
    The lucky antenni. It got us third place, I think that wigle employed some demonic power to quell are holy quest for victory.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    i always get nervous living in a tall building in a lightning storm.....

not because of my fear of being struck, but because i fear my compy getting fried if the building gets hit.

any basis to my paranoia?
    any one else fear this?
    has it happened to any one?

I don't know about "compy's". But, 16 dbi Anntennas can get struck by lighting.. Especially when you are driving through Kansas or Ohio. Though, to give Fab-Corp credit, the Antenna still work after it got struck.

Leave a comment:

• yankee
    replied

not because of my fear of being struck, but because i fear my compy getting fried if the building gets hit.
    Those of us who don't live in a desert aren't too hung up on thunderstorms--they just happen way too often. Now earthquakes, that's a different matter....

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    replied
    Originally posted by skroo
    Your "compy"?
    shuddup, i was feeling lazy and comp. or PC sounded so impersonal......

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Your "compy"?

Leave a comment:

• trinity
    replied
    i do (paranoia/fear), but not so much to the extent of it getting fried. i just really get irritated when the power goes out, i turn it on and then 10 mins later it does it again. i have a power surge, but not much faith in it.

i hope you don't get struck. what floor do you live on?

-vicki

Leave a comment:

• KeLviN
    started a topic lightning storm in LA

lightning storm in LA

any basis to my paranoia?
    any one else fear this?
    has it happened to any one?
Working...
X