Battlestar Galactica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlestar Galactica

For those who tuned in last night, what are your thoughts on SciFi's Battle Star Galactica: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

Originally posted by highwizard
    For those who tuned in last night, what are your thoughts on SciFi's Battle Star Galactica: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

I have invested 2 hours and 9 minutes in it already....and will see it out until the end...but it certainly didn't grab me.

When I watched the first installment of Taken last year I was immediately hooked. BG didn't do that...for one thing...in order for a series or mini-series to reach people...the lead character needs to be either dynamic or likable. Edward James Olmos' character (Commander Adama) is neither.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
      I have invested 2 hours and 9 minutes in it already....and will see it out until the end...but it certainly didn't grab me.
      Yeah... This is about where I'm sitting with it, too. I liked the fact that it has a darker storyline, but it seemed like everytime it was about to really get into it, the writers backed away and left you with a big anticlimactic letdown.

Still, I'll watch the rest of it. I'm just not expecting much.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
        Yeah... This is about where I'm sitting with it, too. I liked the fact that it has a darker storyline, but it seemed like everytime it was about to really get into it, the writers backed away and left you with a big anticlimactic letdown.

Still, I'll watch the rest of it. I'm just not expecting much.

About SciFi channel itself: Did anyone else notice the first 25 minutes there were no commericals at all and then for the rest of the movie there was a commerical every five minutes?

Comment

For those who tuned in last night...
          I'm sorry, I was too busy watching the Hebrew Hammer.

"It says here that you're a certified circumcized dick. Can I see your credentials?"
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
          [ redacted ]

Comment

That commercial technique is becoming standard with your slimier TV movie showers: show few commercials in the first hour to hook people in, then hit them with a barrage o' advertisements.

I like the way they've managed to incorporate the old Viper ships. But it loses something without the pharaoh helmets, with names like Boomer and Starbuck only being nicknames, and without time units like "centons".

Also: what's with the nukes and projectile weapons? I want lasers in my space opera, dammit!

Characters: Starbuck seems to be a reasonable female fascimile of the original. As for the rest, I can't bring myself to give a shit about them. Pretty faces without a shred of character to a one of them.

So, mostly I just want to go find some reruns of the original, cheesy '70s Star Wars rip-off goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhym

Characters: Starbuck seems to be a reasonable female fascimile of the original. As for the rest, I can't bring myself to give a shit about them. Pretty faces without a shred of character to a one of them.

I disagree, I was quite appalled by the starbuck character. Not for the fact that she's a woman, but that it's nothing like starbuck (Dirk) was. She doesn't have the Charm or Charisma that made the starbuck character so great. Not to mention starbuck for all intents and purposes was a teamplayer, I find her not to be one. On top of that, the hitting of the Colonel was something that I couldn't see Dirk's character doing in that situation.

Comment

Everything that has been posted so far is about spot on.

Having watched the originals the transition to the new actors is difficult at best. Also my overly analytical mind cannot make sense of how the current fits with the original in time and space. IE it's forty years latter and Adama is still alive and younger? Or am I missing something here?

Oh well like Chris I will use another 2 hours and 9 minutes of my life to watch the second part.

Is this going to become a weekly like SG1?

Comment

Originally posted by SYN
                  Everything that has been posted so far is about spot on.

Having watched the originals the transition to the new actors is difficult at best. Also my overly analytical mind cannot make sense of how the current fits with the original in time and space. IE it's forty years latter and Adama is still alive and younger? Or am I missing something here?

Oh well like Chris I will use another 2 hours and 9 minutes of my life to watch the second part.

Is this going to become a weekly like SG1?

With the amount of public distain for the mini-series I doublt seeing a weekly showing of this... in it's current form atleast. Battlestar used to be like Star Wars. Now I find it to be much more like Babylon Five. While both were great in their own right, I was expecting more of the former then the latter.

Note: After reading this from the Crew ( http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/abou...und/index.html ) I understand a lot more where they went wrong. I think the director lost sight of what a Space Opera is about atleast IMHO, and try too much to make it a movie with a message a deep underlying message.

Comment

Oh, she wasn't nearly as good as Dirk Benedict in the role--no doubt about that. But at least she was still a cigar smoking, poker playing, scoundrel type. In other words, they gave lip service to giving this version of Starbuck a similar personality to the real Starbuck. It falls short, of course, but it's not nearly as bad as it could have been (hence, "reasonable fascimile").

That's a vast improvement over everyone else in the mini-series, who have no personalities whatsoever.

(BTW, I'm amazed to see Dr. Howard Dean serving as Adama's No. 1.)

SYN - the mini-series is also acting as a pilot to pitch a regular series. I can't say I'm overanxious to see this turned into a series, even though it's made for a fairly entertaining 129 minutes (less commericals). It doesn't have the stamina for a series, though.

One last gripe: I don't like the human Cylons one bit. It's just a way to save FX budget a bit while setting up tired old "is it a human or an enemy?" plot lines.

Comment

Battlestar used to be like Star Wars. Now I find it to be much more like Babylon Five.
                      At least one thing is true to the original: the mini-series continues the fine BSG tradition of being a rip-off of another program!

(And I *like* BSG. I just think they could have come up with a starfighter that didn't look so much like an X-Wing.)
                      Last edited by Zhym; December 9, 2003, 15:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhym
                        (And I *like* BSG. I just think they could have come up with a starfighter that didn't look so much like an X-Wing.)
                        I think this points to a wider issue with most recent Sci-Fi - a lack of originality. Witness the crapfest that was the last two Matrix flicks as an example: while the first one may not have been the freshest of stories, at least it was done well and with an interesting perspective. The last two in the series just stole from every major science fiction film of the last 25 years.

This new BSG is trying to ape the original while also 'updating' the feel. It works in some ways, but not others - and I can see it doing the same thing as the final two Matrix episodes and stealing from other works.

As a point of reference, the last sci-fi movie I saw that I liked was Terminator 3 - but even that was the weakest of the three, and borrowed a little too heavily from the first two movies for my tastes. The ending is what largely saved it for me. Unfortunately, I don't feel that the same is going to happen with the new BSG.

Comment

Text snipped...Note: After reading this from the Crew ( http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/abou...und/index.html ) I understand a lot more where they went wrong. I think the director lost sight of what a Space Opera is about atleast IMHO, and try too much to make it a movie with a message a deep underlying message.
                          I agree and I also agree with your summation of the character Starbuck. I wonder if it would not have been better to develop new characters instead of using the old characters with slight changes of context. I think this would have helped me to avoid the memories of the original characters.

Also did any one notice how similar the orphan kid rescued from the planet was to the original episodes? The only thing he need was the robotic dog.

Comment

There was plenty of warning before it aired that if you were expecting a "true to the original remake" that you would be very disappointed. Knowing this beforehand, I didn't think it was that terrible. I thought the music was a nice touch. They didn't resort to the standard orchestration or terrible sythesized music for the (too short and anti-climactic) battle scenes. The drums were much more dramatic. Nice beats. Worked well. The Cylon fighters having Cylon faces was pretty lame.

Not any worse than say, "Enterprise". If they made it into a regular series, I'm sure I'd watch it.

Lucite hardening ... must end life in classic Lorne Greene pose from
                            "Battlestar Galactica." Best ... death ... ever!
                            Liberty not only means that the individual has both the opportunity and the burden of choice;
                            it also means that he must bear the consequences of his actions.
                            Liberty and responsibility are inseparable.

- Friedrich Hayek

Comment

I contend that Sci Fi and television are a match made in HELL.

For all my space opera needs I turn to the master, E. E. "Doc" Smith and the Lensmen series! Or at least, I did when I was in middle school...
                              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                              [ redacted ]

Comment

Working...
                              X