• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bascule
    replied
    Originally posted by kidlinux

Don't know if anyone else did
    Perhaps you meant this story which was linked off /.'s front page

Anyway the idea was that bittorrent is complementery to RSS (RSS is a news syndicaton system for XML, if you didn't know) the idea being that you can distribute RSS feeds via BitTorrent and take a lot of load off the RSS servers. Good idea no?
    The real problem with RSS isn't the bandwidth required to transfer the actual syndication data, it's the constant polling that syndicating hosts are doing in order to determine if the RSS feed has updated. The solution, at least in my opinion, is to use IP multicasting, in conjunction with something like the Session Announcement Protocol, in order to notify hosts when the feed they are syndicating has changed. After they have been notified, whatever file transfer protocol is desired may be used to transfer the actual RSS XML document.

(and if I may, I'd like to take this opportunity to say... BitTorrent sucks! Use PDTP instead!)

Leave a comment:

• Mr.White
    replied
    Document Not Found
    The document you requested is not found. It may have expired.

Try these links:

* Yahoo! News home page
    * Yahoo! home page

If you still have problems, please visit our Help section.

Leave a comment:

• kidlinux
    started a topic Rss + Bt

Rss + Bt

Hi all. Wanted to start up a less controversal thread today that won't get closed after two posts! :)

I saw this story on Yahoo, http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...14/tc_zd/11458

Don't know if anyone else did

Anyway the idea was that bittorrent is complementery to RSS (RSS is a news syndicaton system for XML, if you didn't know) the idea being that you can distribute RSS feeds via BitTorrent and take a lot of load off the RSS servers. Good idea no?
Working...
X