Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converge
    replied
    I think WPA is still too much in saturation infancy to get much attention. I have personally gone so far as to stay away from a and g technology in general simply because I know my b technology works everywhere, in every OS I run (quite easily without hassle) with every wireless device/antenna I own. It has all the band I need for every use I can find... why change?

surely WEP was no more than a security placebo.. but I get the feeling anyone that is truly interested in attempting to protect their data won't rely soley on WPA.. heh.. or LEAP for that matter ;) ... it always falls back to implementation .

/me points to his 'hermes til death' tat

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by skroo
    At this stage, the only reason is interoperability.

I have a number of 802.11 cards, all either b or g. Not all have drivers available that have WPA support yet for every OS I use them under (primarily Windows, Slackware, and BeOS), and as I require equal support for all devices under all OSes, it's impractical to switch over at this point.

Until I found the Linuxant wrapper I was in the same boat. I rarely use XP and almost always use Slack for my home desktop OS. Since I had to use my Orinoco card on my laptop Slack partition, WPA wasn't an option.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    Finally, for those that have not made the jump to WPA, why not?
    At this stage, the only reason is interoperability.

I have a number of 802.11 cards, all either b or g. Not all have drivers available that have WPA support yet for every OS I use them under (primarily Windows, Slackware, and BeOS), and as I require equal support for all devices under all OSes, it's impractical to switch over at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    started a topic WPA Configurations

WPA Configurations

Linksys finally released the WPA firmware upgrade for the WRV54G. I switched over from WEP to WPA-PSK using AES. The TM1400 that is built in to my laptop works great in XP and I am using the Linuxant NDIS Wrapper in linux so all is well.

A couple of questions for folks though.

First, what are other people's experiences as far as network speed/overhead using WPA as opposed to WEP?

Second, has anyone heard anything legit about when Proxim will actually release their promised WPA drivers for the Orinoco Gold/Silver Classic cards?

Finally, for those that have not made the jump to WPA, why not?
Working...
X