X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by spahkle
    I also would like to hand-make some picks (before buying a set). If anybody has 1.0 scale pics they could send I'd be grateful. (**insert promises of alcohol dispensement at con here**)
    Has anyone sent you what you requested? If not, privmsg me. I have a flatbed scan of several picks with an included ruler in the image with mm. and in. for end-user resizing as needed. (Brought down to about 90KB in compressed PNG.)

As for beer at the con:
    See about getting me a Grøn Tuborg or perhaps a Tuborg Julebryg. ;-)

Tak

[edit: previoulsy stated filesize was 130kB, but gimp-ed the image to limit colors, and replace with high contrast for better compression and typo.]
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 27, 2004, 20:24. Reason: new file size, fix typo

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCotMan
    Hey... is the MIT Guide to Locpicking still considered as good a resource as it was 10 years ago? If not, what has replaced it?
    I still send alot of newbies to the MIT guide because it does a good job explaining the mechanics of a lock. It's a great beginner guide.

I've read a few other books I've found in the last year. I've found that most of the time, if it's an 'official' locksmith book it does'nt talk much about hand picks and just says 'get this tool'. If it's a 'Secrets of lockpicking' book it's not much more than a re-hash of tyhe MIT guide and some of the other basics.

Nothing beats hands on experience.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    So you want to hand make a lockpick set? Hand make the KEY first. You will learn a lot, trust me.
    So true... Understanding pin depths and mechanical function of pin tumbler locks can be better understood through this route.

Hand Made keys through impressioning is really time consuming and is a rare art to see mastered (even among locksmiths.) (This does not include warded keys/locks and impressioning of those keys-- which are really easy, but does include pin tumbler keys and locks)

Hand made keys from an available copy is much easier, but the easiest was using a cheesey el-cheapo key cutter I had at one time (until I gave the POS away.)

The coolest keycutter I have ever saw was one that permitted you to "punch" the depths by numbers from key blanks! It only used the power of your own hands which made it very portable and much quieter than those loud electronic motor key grinders. (Imagine a hole-punch with various depths you could dial by numbers.)

Hey... is the MIT Guide to [Lockpicking] still considered as good a resource as it was 10 years ago? If not, what has replaced it?

TIA

[edit: fixed typo x 2]
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 27, 2004, 11:46. Reason: fixed typo

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    So you want to hand make a lockpick set? Hand make the KEY first. You will learn a lot, trust me.

Leave a comment:

• spahkle
    replied
    I also would like to hand-make some picks (before buying a set). If anybody has 1.0 scale pics they could send I'd be grateful. (**insert promises of alcohol dispensement at con here**)

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by murakami
    I've attached a pic. The ones on the top are the set I used as a template, the silver ones on the bottom are the ones I made.
    Wow! Nice work and quite impressive. :-)

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    He'll only use the lube above his elbow.

Leave a comment:

• blossom
    replied
    Originally posted by highwizard
    And no, I am not kidding you. Just bend over a little bit, I promise to use lube the first time.
    You can't be all that bad of a guy if you still promise to use lube after the way he talked to you! :)

Leave a comment:

• ch0l0man
    replied
    Originally posted by Fastidious
    Don't listen to him, he isn't a admin. Just an asshole who shows to much ignorance.

Should be able to type the way you want.
    its not about being an admin its about it being hard to read.

yeah you can type any way you want, it is america, but if you continue to choose a font color that cant be read well people will just ignore whatever it is you post.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    You make me your bitch? Are you kidding me? I tell you what. You come make me your bitch with that typical "Ego". And we will see. Ok rainbow warrior...

Try not to be such an asshole to people. When you know you can't umm do nothing. But waste my air.

Now it's starting to annoy me. It's either "I'll tell you what" or "I will tell you what".

And no, I am not kidding you. Just bend over a little bit, I promise to use lube the first time.

I enjoy being an asshole to people, perticular those like you.

Also, you joined this forum in January of 04, have you been to Defcon? How long have you lurked on the forums anyway?

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Don't listen to him, he isn't a admin. Just an asshole who shows to much ignorance.

"an" and "too"

Thank you very much for your kind words. And welcome to my world. Before I make you my bitch, I am just curious as to why you gave me the honor of the title asshole (and yes, I am an asshole, so when people call me such I wear it as a badge of pride), are you one of my previous flamies or just an avid fan?

Leave a comment:

• Gadsden
    replied

Sounds like highwiz has a new fan! Heh.. I love it when people do not use proper grammer when calling others ignorant..

Admin or no admin, he is right. Colors are annoying as fuck, please do not use them.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by felixx
    well i have tried to make lock picks before, and have come up unsuccefull, if any of u could send me some directions, that would be cool.

No, no-one will send you any directions because you think you're "leet" by using an annoying color that is hard to read on a black background... Change it, and ask again.

Leave a comment:

• felixx
    replied
    directions

well i have tried to make lock picks before, and have come up unsuccefull, if any of u could send me some directions, that would be cool.

Leave a comment:

• Gadsden
    replied
    Originally posted by renderman
    good job.

My first set was handmade out of brickstrap. I picked up the full kit from IVU at the con, but I still use my handmade ones primarily.

As for the Master Magnum lock, it is a bitch. I picked one up after the con since it was such a a pain in the 3rd round of the contest. I've noticed that if you don't touch the first pin at all, it can be done. The first pin seems to be the biggest problem.
    I picked up a couple of those the otherday myself with the same objective in mind, but have not done so yet.
    I have made a set out of brickstrap, and it did work well. I am a bit spoiled, I guess, I prefer a professional made set with the handles, etc. Much easier for me to use, but I am not that great at picking anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X