Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Peabody
    replied
    Leftover relics of the coldwar propoganda machines.

Ionizing radiation has enough energy that during an interaction with an atom, it can remove tightly bound negative electrons from it, causing the atom to become charged or ionized. This is how x-ray works. When passing through your cells, it leaves a charge behind, mostly in the form of ionized water. This charge reacts with other atmoic materials in your cell causing damage, up to death. Humans have been exposed to radiation from natural sources since the dawn of time. Sources like Potassium 40, Radium 226 and Radon 222. These are either left over from the creation of the world (like Uranium and Radium) or made by interactions with cosmic radiation (like Carbon 14 and Tritium). Also, the Earth is constantly receiving cosmic radiation from outer space. These natural sources of radiation make up approximately 82 percent of the average annual dose to the US public. While nuclear power makes up much less than 1%

All that said, there isn't a single biological element that can detect exposure to even the most powerful radiations short of measuring cell destruction. The infamous Gieger Counter is in reality a small volume of gas, with a voltage applied across it. As the radiation enters the gas, it causes electrons to be formed which are collected and measured to determine the amount of intial radiation present.

Developing an acute sensory image? Entirely impossible.

Leave a comment:

• valkyrie
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by skroo
    Totally different cars. The Oka's a flat-twin design made by Lada (Autovaz); the Yugo was essentially a reskinned Fiat 127 with one ring per cylinder. The Yugo's actually larger, too.
    Gentlemen --

It's voska speak for "VEGA"

Ploiska? Ehay.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by Floydr47
    Is OKA russian for Yugo?
    Totally different cars. The Oka's a flat-twin design made by Lada (Autovaz); the Yugo was essentially a reskinned Fiat 127 with one ring per cylinder. The Yugo's actually larger, too.

Leave a comment:

• Floydr47
    replied
    , potato paste, and a scavenged WWII-era submarine hull.

(And for anyone in the US wanting Eastern Bloc motoring thrills, see http://www.okaauto.com/ .)
    Is OKA russian for Yugo?

Leave a comment:

• Xodia
    replied
    If there was a Russian on Gilligan's Island, they would have been in space by season two, and falling slowly back to earth by season 3.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    The RKA gets mad props as the MacGyvers of extra-atmospheric travel.
    Yah, it's amazing what you can make out of some old Ladas, potato paste, and a scavenged WWII-era submarine hull.

(And for anyone in the US wanting Eastern Bloc motoring thrills, see http://www.okaauto.com/ .)
    Last edited by skroo; February 8, 2004, 18:21.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    Yes, but Salyut 1 makes a good case study on how not to build docking mechanisms, which was made painfully clear by the Soyuz 11 disaster...

Leave a comment:

• ck3k
    replied
    yet, nasa developes its own high priced little toys, and they seem to have problems with them, take the SECOND mars rover, not to mention the first little disaster. The big story was that the software failed on the robot, and you hear all over the news they have to reboot this robot, not exactly a good show for 8 million dollars, rumor has it the JPL is to blame because they can't get laid or something.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by che
    Nice.. let's just launch them up and worry about that whole breathing thing later..
    Breathing is highly overrated.

I will say that the Russian space program is actually pretty impressive...when you consider that most of their parts can be found in the average junk yard, the fact that they can launch a Soyuz at all is pretty impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Gadsden
    replied
    Originally posted by Floydr47
    I just found out that Pravda meant "Truth" all this time I have been thinking it meant "National Inquirer"
    But... Pravda says "Russians conquered Mars 30 years ago."... it must be true, especially after this quote in regards to their manned mission next year.. :

"However, even before the experimental flight begins researchers must find answers to essential questions: what will be the physical and mental state of the crew, how the autonomous life-support systems will operate and what problems the crew may come across."

Nice.. let's just launch them up and worry about that whole breathing thing later..

Leave a comment:

• Floydr47
    replied
    Yeah, I'm surprised nobody's told them that they no longer need to make stories up.
    I just found out that Pravda meant "Truth" all this time I have been thinking it meant "National Inquirer"

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Originally posted by noid
    I love Pravda. Its USA Today and the Weekly World News rolled into one.
    Yeah, I'm surprised nobody's told them that they no longer need to make stories up.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    I love Pravda. Its USA Today and the Weekly World News rolled into one.

Leave a comment:

• Xodia
    started a topic X-ray Vision

X-ray Vision

http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/...henomenon.html

"Moscow's medical workers discovered a magnificent gift of a sixteen-year-old girl Natalya Demkina from Saransk. The girl possesses "dual vision". She is capable of discerning a person's internal organs without using X-ray or ultrasound.

Natasha has already disproved several medical diagnoses and has not made any mistakes. A series of medical experiments conducted in one of the clinics provide substantial and undeniable proofs of the girls' unique abilities..."

Now, If someone could only get heat vision, A super villain would present himself and challenge them both to a fight.
Working...
X