X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    I am running f-prot now. I will DL the Linux version of Clam and test the two side by side for a month or so and let you know what I find.
    After using it for five months, I haven't had any problems with ClamAV except for a scanning time which is longer than I'm comfortable with:

-- summary --
    Known viruses: 21857
    Scanned directories: 19518
    Scanned files: 323767
    Infected files: 2
    Data scanned: 13921.50 MB
    I/O buffer size: 131072 bytes
    Time: 5364.687 sec (89 m 24 s)

Running on a dual Pentium 3, 1GHz system with 512MB of RAM, an hour and a half is longer than I would expect for that amount of data. Although several gigabytes of information is contained within compressed BZip2 archives, the software would be considerably more effective if it was modified to make proper use of a SMP environment.

One noteworthy feature which was quite helpful is the threaded clamd server, which allows for centralized scanning of a network. I haven't tested the actual bandwidth requirements of that system, however I would suspect that it would be substantial.

Leave a comment:

• simon
    replied
    well i've just downloaded f-prot, and clamAV is next up. my first impression is to like clamAV because it has debian packages that are packaged my a known maintainer and they are going to be included in the next official release of debian (sarge). which also means they adhear to a strict guideline of "opensouceness" ;)

f-prot does have deb packages as well, but not official or ever going to be. their liscense is more restrictive but not really a real issue for any "home user". also the deb package dumps everything in /usr/local/f-prot, although i would have expected and at least liked the option to have the conf files or def put in /etc and maybe the def update scripts put in /usr/bin. anyway, some particulars. all can be changed manually.

i'll post with my finial verdict on how both work, behave etc when i'm done. i imagine the results will be pretty equal.

simon

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by davidck
    I use it for 2 - 3 month's now and I think it does it's job well.

though I havn't done in depth research, I DID test it.

I recive less noise from dumb users, and I guess it's not because number of viruses and warms for win32 has decriesed with time.

and I choose it over kaspersky and Dr.Web as I use only free(open source) software (on machines under my responsibility).

I haven't used any other antivirus on linux, so I can't provide comparisons.

if it works for me doesn't nessarily mean that it will for you, but I think it defenetly might.

I am running f-prot now. I will DL the Linux version of Clam and test the two side by side for a month or so and let you know what I find.

Leave a comment:

• davidck
    replied
    My mail server had never had any virus on it.

as for users it's not that easy to say from where the virus came, but as far as i know my users had had no viral e-mails since i installed antispam/antivirus on server.

Leave a comment:

• davidck
    replied
    I use it for 2 - 3 month's now and I think it does it's job well.

though I havn't done in depth research, I DID test it.

I recive less noise from dumb users, and I guess it's not because number of viruses and warms for win32 has decriesed with time.

and I choose it over kaspersky and Dr.Web as I use only free(open source) software (on machines under my responsibility).

I haven't used any other antivirus on linux, so I can't provide comparisons.

if it works for me doesn't nessarily mean that it will for you, but I think it defenetly might.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by davidck
    http://clamav.sf.net

ClamAV is a free, open source project that runs on *nix and it's version is also availiable for windows.

I use it on my mail server & windows pc's at office. nice tool. Perfectly managed virus database.

Check there website for more information.

Have you had any infections in the past? Has this products actually worked for you?

Leave a comment:

• davidck
    replied
    http://clamav.sf.net

ClamAV is a free, open source project that runs on *nix and it's version is also availiable for windows.

I use it on my mail server & windows pc's at office. nice tool. Perfectly managed virus database.

Check there website for more information.

Leave a comment:

• murakami
    replied
    Originally posted by ck3k
    Gonna have to snag f-prot after all this, great thread I always wanted to know as to what anti-virus solutions linux has. As for windows, I havnt gone after f-prot, i use AVG any reasons to switch to F-Prot?
    I have a 'clean' laptop that I use only for connecting to VPNs. It has most of the major vendor AV programs. I really don't see much of a difference between any of them from a end user point of view. A sysadmin would probably have more relevant things to say, especially when it comes to scanning email.

Leave a comment:

• ck3k
    replied
    Gonna have to snag f-prot after all this, great thread I always wanted to know as to what anti-virus solutions linux has. As for windows, I havnt gone after f-prot, i use AVG any reasons to switch to F-Prot?

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by murakami
    I've used F-Prot for at least 10 years, starting back in the day of the DOS boot sector viruses. I've remained virus free, maybe in part to F-PROT but probably more because of common sense. Anyway, glad that folks are finding it useful.

I agree that it is probably more due to common sense. I have never had a virus (well...not a computer virus ;)) either.

But back to topc, I just set up two cron jobs, one to update the F-Prot defs daily, and then five minutes later to scan with F-Prot. I had not used this program before you posted it and I am very impressed. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• murakami
    replied
    I've used F-Prot for at least 10 years, starting back in the day of the DOS boot sector viruses. I've remained virus free, maybe in part to F-PROT but probably more because of common sense. Anyway, glad that folks are finding it useful.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied
    I'm trying to get my boss to purchase an F-Prot license for our qmail/Solaris mailserver. I have the trial version running now, and it was ridiculously easy to deploy (it even comes with a drop-in qmail-queue replacement).

Beagle.K was the motivating factor for this... it generated one of the sneakiest virus messages I've ever seen:

Dear user of e-mail server "Colostate.edu",

Our antivirus software has detected a large ammount of viruses outgoing
    from your email account, you may use our free anti-virus tool to clean up
    your computer software.

Please, read the attach for further details.

Attached file protected with the password for security reasons. Password is 17572.

Best wishes,
    The Colostate.edu team
    http://www.colostate.edu
    Fortunately for us, everyone here reads their mail with dtmail or PINE...

Leave a comment:

• Qu|rk
    replied
    FDISK, although in your eyes is an antivirus..it's only effective if the floppy drive is working, the bios can see it, or you have a way to access the fdisk executable which many of the nasty virii out there kill... it also completely throws any concept of time management out the window, even if you did that, and then ghosted it... Chris pointed out F-prot for linux is free... so why not use it? Just a thought...

Qu|rk-

Leave a comment:

• JiTRiF
    replied
    I don't use anti-virus on the only linux computer i use. It's a school computer i dual booted with 98 and redhat. I don't really give a fuck if anyone gets a virus on it. FDisk is my anti-virus.

Leave a comment:

• dYn4mic
    replied
    Thats slick..
    I've always used F-prot on my winblows box/partition..
    /me go's and downloads for BSD.... (props to F-prot!!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X