Had to get first thread -> Working Wireless for the Bay area caravn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to get first thread -> Working Wireless for the Bay area caravn

Thats my big project.. I had a half assed attempt last year and about 5 cars were able to get on. Also gotta get more power out to the FM, anyone who wants to handle the wifi and let me deal with regular old vhf Id be glad to step aside on that...

Other than some new stuff for CTF .. lets get ready to rummmbbblleee :)

my westcoasthackers.org group is gonna travel via the caravan.
    Last edited by GidGreen; March 1, 2004, 17:33.
    Im just here to lurk around till i find something interesting. - Sleep is for the weak.

Comment

I know its been beaten into the ground, but why do you people keep trying to put wifi in your cars? seriously, last thing I want to be on the road with is a pack of nerds tailgating each other because they cant go 3 hours without network access.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
        I know its been beaten into the ground, but why do you people keep trying to put wifi in your cars?
        Yah... And to avoid flogging the same dead horse here, read this thread for all the reasons why this is a bad idea.

Comment

Yes GidGreen, myself and a few other members of this forum and quite a few more from dc707 are going to be bringing our own small caravan to meet up with the Bay Area caravan...
          Im not sure if we will meetup with the caravan in Freemont or Pleasonton (freemont was a small stop last year... maybe drop it for this year?)....
          Anyways, This question is slightly off topic, but..
          When is the defcon.org site going to move to the traditional Defcon form, with info, speaker list for DC12 and contests and all that???
          (Maybe im just being impatient...)
          The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

We are prob gonna meet up with the Bay Area Caravan.. and take their I-5 route....

Comment

Originally posted by dYn4mic
              We are prob gonna meet up with the Bay Area Caravan.. and take their I-5 route....
              Thanks for stating the route, now i know which one to avoid.
              The essential feature of complex behavior is the ability to perform transitions between different states ... Complexity is concerned with systems in which evolution, and hence history plays or has played an important role in the observed behavior.

Comment

I stated the only part of the route I was confident in saying "This is the route" I could not remember the exact route we took last year and their site is still displaying Toorcon info ... http://caravan.billzhouse.com/

I'm not sure if your being sarcastic, or what... But the Bay Area caravan is pretty cool, Theres around 25-30 Cars who caravan down from the Bay Area to Barstrow, where the caravan meets with the So-Cal caravan (bout 30 cars) and everyone drives like mad to vegas... Its fun stuff...
                Also look here if intrestined in a SoCal caravan...
                http://deathrace2k.com/

Comment

As posted previous, wifi in a caravan is incredibly stupid and has already been touched on many times... why not use CB/portable HAM instead?

Qu|rk-

Comment

Oh i tottaly agree... I think its dangerous. I remember we had quite a few close calls trying to 'get closer' .... We did use the radio station, and sm. FRS radios.
                    If there is WiFi, I advise it may be attracive to play with but its really risky, and not cool....

Comment

Worked Wireless last year from San Diego

Two vans, Highway 15, Lots of Fragging.

The only dangerous part- me (the driver) trying to concentrate on the road while the three guys in the back were coordinating attacks on Van #2.......

We used a standard Linksys AP, a 300W inverter for the AP that we also rotated laptop charging, and some cold beer.

5 cars may be much, did you use an external antenna?

We couldn't hook up with the SoCal Caravan, maybe this year...
                      "Shop smart, Shop S-Mart"

Comment

Originally posted by birukun
                        We couldn't hook up with the SoCal Caravan, maybe this year...
                        Did you even bother to read this thread before you posted?

Since the answer appears to be 'no' and I have your attention, here are some highlights you've missed out on:

Originally posted by noid
                        I know its been beaten into the ground, but why do you people keep trying to put wifi in your cars? seriously, last thing I want to be on the road with is a pack of nerds tailgating each other because they cant go 3 hours without network access.
                        Originally posted by Qu|rk
                        As posted previous, wifi in a caravan is incredibly stupid and has already been touched on many times... why not use CB/portable HAM instead?
                        Originally posted by skroo
                        And to avoid flogging the same dead horse here, read this thread for all the reasons why this is a bad idea.
                        Hell, it even says right on the main page of the SoCal Caravan website that WiFi's not welcome.

And before we go climbing on any high horses:

Originally posted by birukun
                        The only dangerous part- me (the driver) trying to concentrate on the road while the three guys in the back were coordinating attacks on Van #2.......

We used a standard Linksys AP, a 300W inverter for the AP that we also rotated laptop charging, and some cold beer.
                        Not only are you dumb enough to admit to doing something this stupidly dangerous, but you also make mention of what sounds like drinking while driving, or at least that's how it sounds. Stay the fuck away from the rest of us this year, kthxjackass.
                        Last edited by skroo; April 1, 2004, 00:31.

Comment

Maybe you are cool enough to surf, wi-fi, be on your cell phone and drink while driving. But as long as I have a license I will enjoy slamming on my brakes in front of you and watching you spill your beer. Be forewarned.

That's the trouble with you being the world's best driver, you worry about *everyone* else. I worry about no one else. :D

Comment

Assumptions

My passengers safety, comfort, and convenience were a paramount goal to making the trip enjoyable. This meant I drove and did nothing else. This included providing entertainment, like the WiFi and the TV.

Under no cirmumstances would I drink and drive, use the cell phone and drive, or watch tv and drive. As a matter of practice, I never touched the FM handset - that was someone elses job.

Sorry if I missed that link to the reasons why not, but I can think of a hundred other things people do while driving and caravaning that I don't that is dangerous.

Since I was the Designated Driver, I went without fragging or drinking until the vehicle was safely parked at the hotel.

"5 cars may be much, did you use an external antenna?"

Worked well with two, and as I said, 5 cars may be a little too much. (or it is, judging by the other thread)

After reading the other thread, I can understand your reaction, but like anything, if you operate within safe and reasonable parameters, things can be a lot of fun. I merely wanted to provide the information so that others can use it to enrich their travel experience.

As for the SoCal Caravan, they had a bad experience, and with that many cars it is certainly hazardous. I still hope we can hook up with them this year (sans AP). I can frag anytime, so I can forgo that for a social gathering, much like I did to drive my friends to DefCon last year.

Cheers-
                            "Shop smart, Shop S-Mart"

Comment

Working...
                            X