No announcement yet.

Defcon Bible/FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean you wanna put the nasties under the microscope and see if there is still any pool water in it. :p

Comment

Another reason why Highwiz (and Astcell) are two of the most fun people I've met in my two Defcons.

Al
      "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
        Forgot one though:

Q) What's the best way to get punched in the throat at DefCon?
        A) If your name is Grifter, add 'Get a picture of Chris with his arm around you' to the scavenger hunt list again.
        You know he is going to do it out of spite, don't you?

Originally posted by astcell
        If someone can answer these it would help too:

How long does it take to get a cab to the airport?
        Cabs usually sit at the airport, so you should be able to walk out and get a cab at the airport. If you are going from the AP to the airport on your way home, it takes 4 hours hangover time.

Why do the air conditoner units suck in the hotel?
        Because it's Las Vegas and the AP wants you to purchase water from them... It's all about the buck.

What is the Wall of Shame?
        I believe you are refering to the "Wall of Sheep".

"A DefCon tradition is the Wall of Sheep, which shows the usernames, IP addresses or hostnames, and protocol used by people who got their passwords sniffed while using the wireless network. POP was a protocol commonly seen on the Wall; but HTTP and ICQ put in a disrespectable showing as well. Do people not realize these are plain-text protocols? By Sunday there were over 500 sheep, and Telnet had become quite popular among them. I can only assume the weirdos who would use Telnet -- at a hacker conference, no less -- are the same weirdos who would use Windows -- at a hacker conference, no less."
        - From: http://chris.nodewarrior.org/reviews...unnyStuff.html

Why is it $80 this year?
        The Five Extra Dollars are what they use to give a Kick Back to the Hutt Crime Syndicate.

What's the best way to not look like an asshat or a fucktard?
        One Definite way is not to walk around with a Camera taking Hi-Res pictures all the time during Blackhat and Defcon... Just kidding. If you don't want to be an asshat or fucktard at Defcon, don't be a hardass. Come to enjoy the event and leave you eltism/tough guy attitude at home. Moreover, try to get out an experience the events. Don't sit behind your computer all day in your room/the breakout area. But the Best way not to look like and asshat or fucktard is to Buy HighWizard a beer.

Is that big hairy guy in the vendor room corner really selling a MiG ejection seat?
        Yes

You say being an ACTIVE participant is the best to to enjoy Defcon, what should I be active in if this is my first time?
        If this is your first time coming to Defcon let me be the first to welcome you. First off, don't be a fucktard/asshat (see above). Secondly, when I mentioned "Active" it means actually doing things. Being as how this is your first Con there is nothing that says you can participate in the Scavenger hunt or other competitions. Go to the Black and White Ball, buy some liquor/beer and strike up a conversation with someone. Goto talks and broaden your knowledge. Remember, Defcon only lasts three days (A few more for the dedicated) and you don't want to leave the Alexis Park wishing you had done more. Defcon is the Hacking Community at it's best and sometimes worst, but to be a truly active participant you must move to make yourself part of that community.

Originally posted by Grifter
        Haha, it'f funny because I actually just pulled all of those questions out and started answering them as well. Oh well, you beat me to it.
        You probably could have done a better job then me. I couldn't decide between being funny or informative - so I chose middle of the road.

Originally posted by che
        Avoiding ALL of the pools is a good idea in my book.. I would love to look at some of the water under a microscope after poolcon to see what all nasties are in it..
        I heard if you let the water from any of the pools get in your mouth that it will give you the runs for a week and all your hair will fall out.
        Last edited by highwizard; March 16, 2004, 14:59.

Comment

I heard if you let the water from any of the pools get in your mouth that it will give you the runs for a week and all your hair will fall out.
          I thought it was also responsible for most of the unwanted pregnancies that happen over the course of the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
            I thought it was also responsible for most of the unwanted pregnancies that happen over the course of the weekend.
            So that's how Stitch got pregnant!

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
              So that's how Stitch got pregnant!
              Ah, HighWiz I hate to tell you this but Stitch can't get pregnant.
              "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak
                Ah, HighWiz I hate to tell you this but Stitch can't get pregnant.
                Shhhh! Don't tell him that!

Comment

Why is it $80 this year?

The Five Extra Dollars are what they use to give a Kick Back to the Hutt Crime Syndicate.
                  I never knew, so the 5 dollars is so we can get all of our spice ? ;)

As far as adding to the bible, just make sure you get your room in order and watch out for the alexis park, they love to scam people, from 500 dollar room deposits to all sorts of other random shit. Oh, and for the love of god, don't eat the pizza!

I tell dc707 that at defcon it is best to always be respectful of other people shit in rooms, even durring room rushes....speaking of that

Q : Should I open my door to the man standing outside of my room?
                  A : NO! especially is they are named siviak.

Q : Should I leave the downstairs window open?
                  A : NO! room rushes dont have to be thru doors.
                  ~:CK:~
                  I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

The main Q/A plus all the additions should be formatted and placed on the the DC12 defcon.org site when its up 100%...
                    I feel that people that havn't been to defcon would benifit from this... I went last year with a few more of dc707 and I feel as this is a good guide for new ppl....
                    But of course, its up the the admins....
                    (just my $.02)
                    The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Originally posted by ck3k
                      I never knew, so the 5 dollars is so we can get all of our spice ? ;)

As far as adding to the bible, just make sure you get your room in order and watch out for the alexis park, they love to scam people, from 500 dollar room deposits to all sorts of other random shit. Oh, and for the love of god, don't eat the pizza!

I tell dc707 that at defcon it is best to always be respectful of other people shit in rooms, even durring room rushes....speaking of that

Hey.. at least I gave you good beer during the room rush! :)
                      Muahaa.. you will have to open the door/window sometime..
                      Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by alklloyd
                        Another reason why Highwiz (and Astcell) are two of the most fun people I've met in my two Defcons.
                        Al
                        Don't die before Defcon dude, or else I'll be the oldest there.

Comment

Shhhh! Don't tell him that!
                          Okay, I won't. ;)

Originally posted by astcell
                          Don't die before Defcon dude, or else I'll be the oldest there.
                          AST, age doesn't matter. It's can your "inner child meet your wild child" that matters.
                          "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak
                            AST, age doesn't matter. It's can your "inner child meet your wild child" that matters.
                            Oh I know that, Defcon is about the only time I can really let my hair down the whole year. The nice thing about my age is that I can afford bail for everyone in my party. :p

Comment

You forget to answer the introductory question:

What is room Rushing?

Originally posted by ck3k

And it's not our fault that you opened the door. Though, atleast you guys had the latch on the first time you opened it.

Comment

You forget to answer the introductory question:

What is room Rushing?

And it's not our fault that you opened the door. Though, atleast you guys had the latch on the first time you opened it.
                                But... it took little convincing to get them to unlatch it. Little did they know about the mob around the corner..
                                Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Working...
                                X