Proposal - Defcon 12 Cookout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeSchmuck
    Would I be jumping the gun to propose a new polling thread to vote on a day?
    sounds like a good idea to me, also maybe what time to meet up, night time is always a great time the sun is down its not 40,000 degress.
    There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      Since I am arriving Tuesday I can marinade the steaks in Jack Daniel's until cookout time!
      Use Sleemans 'honey brown' beer and then you're talking.

Originally posted by blackbeetle
      Not to rain on everyone's parade and enthusiasm but at this point, any plans for a BBQ should be planned for off-AP grounds. I have not spoken to the hotel about this since I do not want then to become *overly* vigilant about an activity that is likely to be frowned upon by the fire marshal.
      I don't get this... is having 4-5 BBQs running simultaneiously outside against the law in the United States?

Originally posted by KeLviN
      not true! they are catering to a bible group..... and only charging them $90 a room.....

<where did i put that link......> google it.
      I heard christian chicks are good in the sack. What is the link, though? I can't seem to find it after searching on google.

This sounds like a brilliant idea, I think if it goes well this year, it should at least make the 'unofficial' event list of the DC website.

Comment

Originally posted by phobal
        I don't get this... is having 4-5 BBQs running simultaneiously outside against the law in the United States?

The issue above this would be where to hold it? If it's on Alexis Park Grounds you would be taking money from them. And then there are the Local Ordinances....

Comment

How about if we have it at the AP after their grill closes?

Comment

the Official Word

This is the official word on the BBQ onsite at the Alexis Park: Because of liability issues, no attendees may cook food on an open flame on the property. For food handling reasons, any food that is cooked on the property must be done by Alexis Park personnel and with Alexis Park prepared food.

So in short, the Alexis Park is willing to have a BBQ grill outdoors near one of the pools but the food will have to be purchased by the consumer. You may bring your own sauces and ask them to cook the food in the manner that you wish.

Two questions:
            1) Are there are any persons out there who are interested in this option? (we don't want to have them set up a grill if you aren't buying).
            2) Are there any vegetarians out there who are going to need veggie dogs or veggie burgers? Veggie shish kabobs?
            blackbeetle

Comment

No wonder a hot dog at the AP costs $7.50...

Wholesale cost: $.37
              Cooking costs: $.70
              Kitchen Profit: $.43
              Legal review: $6.00

Comment

Originally posted by blackbeetle
                This is the official word on the BBQ onsite at the Alexis Park: Because of liability issues, no attendees may cook food on an open flame on the property. For food handling reasons, any food that is cooked on the property must be done by Alexis Park personnel and with Alexis Park prepared food.

So in short, the Alexis Park is willing to have a BBQ grill outdoors near one of the pools but the food will have to be purchased by the consumer. You may bring your own sauces and ask them to cook the food in the manner that you wish.

Two questions:
                1) Are there are any persons out there who are interested in this option? (we don't want to have them set up a grill if you aren't buying).
                2) Are there any vegetarians out there who are going to need veggie dogs or veggie burgers? Veggie shish kabobs?
                I think the question on everyones mind is: "How much?"

At least this is one way to keep the hungry hoards at bay. Paying participants only!

It could work, as long as the cooks are willing to take direction and don't get thier undies ina twist over being told howto cook
                Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

exactly, that would be one of my main motivations as to why we should do it ourselves, but it seems as if the AP isn't willing to let that happen. I'd like to know how much also, because I'm guessing it ain't cheap
                  Where's the dedication?

Comment

I wasn't entirely thinking of it being a cookout for the masses... I thought it would be a good venue for bbqers to duel out _their_ cooking styles and methods against each other.. but I'm sure open grills could be figured out if we tried a bit.

L0nd0 and Siviak, if you guys don't mind scouting things out a bit, that would rock. There was even some discussion of having the forum meet be at/during the bbq. There should be a dedicated thread in the following layout:

I will start an official thread on this, we will get this puppy movin ;)

--
                    and as promised, ioow
                    Last edited by converge; April 23, 2004, 18:18.
                    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
                      I think the question on everyones mind is: "How much?"

At least this is one way to keep the hungry hoards at bay. Paying participants only!

It could work, as long as the cooks are willing to take direction and don't get thier undies ina twist over being told howto cook
                      Cost isn't really on my mind....

I say, bring enough meat to share with other people cooking off?

I find it amusing that the AP wouldn't allow us to cook our own food on site [is this a fact, or some random guess?]. Sure, we're loyal to their company, but, come on.. this is America. You just can't cook your own food within the vicinity of a hotel!

Comment

my intent was not to line the AP pockets with overpriced steak fees in a prefab cookery of meats(or vegies)... thanks for the legwork though blackbeetle, I had an idea that on-premesis wouldn't fly for many reasons. ..which is why we're doing it offsite! :D soo.. buy your grilled goods at the AP or join the Toxic BBQ for a hoot <see link above>
                        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

my cooking skills are still offered in exchange for drinks. non alcoholic, and maybe a couple beers.
                          if converge is heading all this up, you can list me as an official venue accessory.
                          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by converge
                            my intent was not to line the AP pockets with overpriced steak fees in a prefab cookery of meats(or vegies)... thanks for the legwork though blackbeetle, I had an idea that on-premesis wouldn't fly for many reasons. ..which is why we're doing it offsite! :D soo.. buy your grilled goods at the AP or join the Toxic BBQ for a hoot <see link above>
                            I agree, I think this would be more of a gathering than a means for food.. I like the idea of a trip to a local park.
                            Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Working...
                            X