Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless Beige Box requires power... but how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Beige Box requires power... but how?

Okay... I made a wireless beige box.. the only problem is that the box is preempted on a powersource in order to work... I could remove the power supply and replace it with batteries... but I'm not really sure on the efficiency of the whole system ....

Anyone know any subtle ways to get power to this plug (when out at a phone box) without using a bright orange, green, or yellow extension cord?

The Sony camcorder battery is a popular power source for many projects. if you are stuck with an AC plug and low on funds, gert a car battery and a power inverter. It will add 12 lbs to your box but it's somewhat portable.

Comment

Originally posted by d3thStaR
      Anyone know any subtle ways to get power to this plug (when out at a phone box) without using a bright orange, green, or yellow extension cord?
      Yep. In order to do this, you'll need a 'security' allen key in order to open the phone booth up. These look like a normal allen key, but have a small hole drilled in the turning faces to accomodate the post in the screw heads used to assemble the booth with.

The key can be found as a single key, separate bit for an interchangeable driver, or as part of a kit at some electronics (Fry's, specifically) and hardware stores. Another good source for them are at auto shops (Pep Boys, etc.) - they're sold in packs of 'security' license plate fasteners, and are exactly the same as the telco-issue keys.

Remove the opaque lens covering the overhead lamp. You'll usually find two 110V power outlets in there, one with the lamp plugged into it. Use the other one for the feed to your power supply.

Note that telco linesmen usually don't take kindly to this sort of thing, so you're really not advised to do it. Also, power may be located in the base of the phone rather than the top; if this is the case, it will take some time to disassemble. And one final thing: be aware of how ANI II is going to determine whether or not the phone you want to use for this will work or not.

Oh, and if your inspiration for this little project was this textfile... You do know that that was a work of ficiton, right?

Comment

You might look into something like this:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm...mber/117/ln/en

...which will provide 150mW of power from the phone system itself. I'm guessing whatever you've developed will require significantly more power, but 150mW should be more than enough for what you're trying to do (provided you're not trying to place the accompanying transciever some ridiculous distance away) if you engineer the transciever in the box around this requirement.
        45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
        45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
        [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
          Oh, and if your inspiration for this little project was this textfile... You do know that that was a work of ficiton, right?
          Actually, all I did was take the original beige box- hooking the clips up to a modular jack and everything.. After I did that, I just went out and bought a 2.4gHz wireless phone... took it apart... and did, basically, the same thing. It's the just parts to a wireless phone, put the antenae outside of a little rubbermaid box... and put the clips on. The wireless phones, however, require a 12v A/C charger. That's what I meant, when I was looking for a power source.

When I said "phone box" I just meant one of those little like... three feet tall boxes with all the phone lines run through, in a neighborhood.

Like this:

<picture removed>

Just park a car somewhere near the box, and you can use the reciever.

I hadn't really thought about applying it to a phone booth.. yet, anyway. But I'll think about that.
          Last edited by d3thStaR; March 25, 2004, 21:48.

Comment

Okay. We need to clarify some terminology here. This is important, because the only way we're going to know if we're all talking about the same thing is if we're all using the same terminology.

Actually, all I did was take the original beige box- hooking the clips up to a modular jack and everything..
            OK. Two things I'd like to clarify here:

- What do you mean by 'beige box'? A beige box is just an ordinary telephone; are you using some other device in line with your cordless, or is this an entirely separate device?

- If it's the male end, it's a modular plug (the plugger); if it's the female end it's a jack (the plugee). A small but important distinction.

After I did that, I just went out and bought a 2.4gHz wireless phone... took it apart... and did, basically, the same thing. It's the just parts to a wireless phone, put the antenae outside of a little rubbermaid box... and put the clips on.
            Let me see if I've got this straight: you've recased the circuitry from the phone's base station in a sealable container.

The wireless phones, however, require a 12v A/C charger. That's what I meant, when I was looking for a power source.
            I don't quite understand this part. by 'wireless phones', are you referring to the handset? I can't tell if you're trying to charge the handset, power the base station circuitry, or both.

When I said "phone box" I just meant one of those little like... three feet tall boxes with all the phone lines run through, in a neighborhood.
            OK. 'Phone Box' is pretty often synonymous with 'phone booth'. What you're referring to is usually called a 'can' or (sometimes), 'b-box'. It looks like you've already got ahold of a can key (which, if this is the case, lending credence to said supposition via photography is a bad idea), so locate your device somewhere it isn't likely to be found, like around the back of the distribution block (that vertical thing with all the lines running to staggered posts on it).

As for power, you're on your own. Some have a socket in them, but most don't. That looks like an older can, so it's doubtful it does have its own power. There may be a streetlamp or similar fixture nearby that could provide power, but it's up to you to find and tap it.

Just park a car somewhere near the box, and you can use the reciever.
            I hadn't really thought about applying it to a phone booth.. yet, anyway. But I'll think about that.
            You'll want to learn about Automatic Number Identification, COPTs (previously COCOTs), and what those digit pairs I was talking about earlier mean first.

Comment

- What do you mean by 'beige box'? A beige box is just an ordinary telephone; are you using some other device in line with your cordless, or is this an entirely separate device?

- If it's the male end, it's a modular plug (the plugger); if it's the female end it's a jack (the plugee). A small but important distinction.
              It is an ordinary, cordless telephone, with the circuitry removed and placed in a smaller container. It is just the base of the phone's circuitry.. basically everything- excluding the reciever/handset. I ran a modular plug from the phone's circuitry, to a jack. From the back of the jack, I took two aligator clips and connected them to the tip and ring wires.

Let me see if I've got this straight: you've recased the circuitry from the phone's base station in a sealable container.
              Yes. It substaintally cut down the size.

I don't quite understand this part. by 'wireless phones', are you referring to the handset? I can't tell if you're trying to charge the handset, power the base station circuitry, or both.
              The base circuitry of the wireless phone requires a power source. It is a 12 volt a/c charger which can be plugged in to the circuit board.

I have a seperate charger all together for the reciever/handset.

OK. 'Phone Box' is pretty often synonymous with 'phone booth'. What you're referring to is usually called a 'can' or (sometimes), 'b-box'. It looks like you've already got ahold of a can key (which, if this is the case, lending credence to said supposition via photography is a bad idea), so locate your device somewhere it isn't likely to be found, like around the back of the distribution block (that vertical thing with all the lines running to staggered posts on it).
              Sorry.. I wasn't familiar with the terminology. I appologize for the confusion.

As for power, you're on your own. Some have a socket in them, but most don't. That looks like an older can, so it's doubtful it does have its own power. There may be a streetlamp or similar fixture nearby that could provide power, but it's up to you to find and tap it.
              Yeah, the can is an old Bell Atlantic one which was, somewhat recently purchased by another company... the only change that I think was done was a company sticker...

You'll want to learn about Automatic Number Identification, COPTs (previously COCOTs), and what those digit pairs I was talking about earlier mean first.
              Thanks a lot. I'll look into that. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I'll look into that. Thanks for all the advice.
                No problem. One other thing for your consideration, though, courtesy of The Simpsons: "Dude, videoaping this juvenile crime spree is the best idea we ever had!" You know, like with reference to telco property...

Comment

COCOTS...I just got hit by a wave of good/bad nostalgia.

Al
                  "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Working...
                  X