X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LosT
    replied
    Originally posted by russ
    Sorry, folks. There's no way I can provide a TV and/or DVD to everyone who has requested. So if you need one for presentation purposes, you might need to ensure one is brought for the IP Appliance contest booth.

We might be able to work something on the scheduling so that each entry has 10 mins to do a presentation on the stage with their device. Neural, we need to link up about this scheduling piece.
    What about DHCP? A mailserver? Or should I just plan on bringing in my own hub, cables, network, etc...?

Thanks for the work you guys are doing on this.

LosT

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    Sorry, folks. There's no way I can provide a TV and/or DVD to everyone who has requested. So if you need one for presentation purposes, you might need to ensure one is brought for the IP Appliance contest booth.

We might be able to work something on the scheduling so that each entry has 10 mins to do a presentation on the stage with their device. Neural, we need to link up about this scheduling piece.

Originally posted by Neural
    You may be right about a dhcp server. It might be best if your device had an ip address pre-assigned to it. I guess it can be something in the 192.168.1.x block. If you want a mailserver, I can put one up. I plan on bringing a laptop running slackware and can turn on a number of services of need be.

As for TV/DVD, I need to speak to russ about that. I know the information booth had a projector. I wonder if we could get one for our table. I will let you know. Worst comes to worse a dvd presentation could be aired on defcon tv.

Leave a comment:

• Neural
    replied
    Originally posted by LosT
    That would be great. I don't have a problem bringing all the equipment I need, but if I don't need it I'm not going to bother bringing all if it to Vegas. It will also be easier if we won't have DHCP on the 'test network' to know what IP addy I should assign to my device (it would just save time for the demo)- also, if there is going to be a mailserver available, I will get on writing code to enable emails to be sent from my device as well...if there isn't going to be a mailserver available, then I'm not going to bother doing that either.

Lastly, will there be a TV/DVD available for a dvd presentation? Powerpoint? etc...

Thanks for all the work you guys.

LosT
    You may be right about a dhcp server. It might be best if your device had an ip address pre-assigned to it. I guess it can be something in the 192.168.1.x block. If you want a mailserver, I can put one up. I plan on bringing a laptop running slackware and can turn on a number of services of need be.

As for TV/DVD, I need to speak to russ about that. I know the information booth had a projector. I wonder if we could get one for our table. I will let you know. Worst comes to worse a dvd presentation could be aired on defcon tv.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied
    That would be great.

Originally posted by Neural
    Well I'm hoping to have that figured out in the next few days. What will probably happen is that we'll have a private lan set up separate from the convention's wireless lan so that testing and demonstrations can be done without being DOS'd by the rest of the attendees. For the most part you'll need a computer to demonstrate your entry. Whether we have enough available for those who aren't coming with one, I'll let you know as soon as I talk with the DC group helping out with the contest.

That would be great. I don't have a problem bringing all the equipment I need, but if I don't need it I'm not going to bother bringing all if it to Vegas. It will also be easier if we won't have DHCP on the 'test network' to know what IP addy I should assign to my device (it would just save time for the demo)- also, if there is going to be a mailserver available, I will get on writing code to enable emails to be sent from my device as well...if there isn't going to be a mailserver available, then I'm not going to bother doing that either.

Lastly, will there be a TV/DVD available for a dvd presentation? Powerpoint? etc...

Thanks for all the work you guys.

LosT

Leave a comment:

• Neural
    replied
    Well I'm hoping to have that figured out in the next few days. What will probably happen is that we'll have a private lan set up separate from the convention's wireless lan so that testing and demonstrations can be done without being DOS'd by the rest of the attendees. For the most part you'll need a computer to demonstrate your entry. Whether we have enough available for those who aren't coming with one, I'll let you know as soon as I talk with the DC group helping out with the contest.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied
    Question on presentations...

Will there be a DVD player available? If not I'm not going to bother putting a disc together...

LosT

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied
    Question wrt embedded device category

Obviously the 'enabled' category will have people bringing computers, etc for control of the device, however, should we bring our own computer for the embedded category 'testing'- or will we be using an existing network? DHCP? IP range required (does it matter)?

Just curious.

LosT

Leave a comment:

• Neural
    replied
    This is just a reminder that if you intend on entering the homebrew internet appliance contest, drop me some email at neural [at] cerebrallab.com with your intended project to make sure it falls within the guidelines of the contest, and it gives me an idea of how many intend on entering so I can plan the prizes accordingly.

Oh. And those resource pages I planned on putting up is taking a bit longer than expected. My idea of "a few pages" is turning out to be an entire website. so I'll post the url when it's done.

Leave a comment:

• Neural
    replied
    Originally posted by LosT
    Are pre-fab boards like SitePlayer (www.siteplayer.com) ok to connect devices? (I'm talking the bare board, not their total solution in a box) It does take some design/code/work to connect the devices together...

Just curious.

LosT
    Yes, pre-fab boards are fine.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    Geez, I don't wanna know what you do when you can't find your toothbrush.
    Maybe I'll enter one in the competition.. ;)

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Originally posted by highwizard
    You can use the electric toothbrushes as a vibrator.. Trust me on this one.
    Geez, I don't wanna know what you do when you can't find your toothbrush.

Leave a comment:

• highwizard
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by dmz
    Hmm ethernet to a toothbrush. Not sure about that, maybe a vibrator, but not a toothbrush.

You can use the electric toothbrushes as a vibrator.. Trust me on this one.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied
    Intent to enter...

Just emailed my intended device. Not sure if I needed to post here or not, so I am. And there was much rejoicing.

LosT

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied
    TCP/IP electronics question...

Are pre-fab boards like SitePlayer (www.siteplayer.com) ok to connect devices? (I'm talking the bare board, not their total solution in a box) It does take some design/code/work to connect the devices together...

Just curious.

LosT

Leave a comment:

• Neural
    replied
    I'm working on gathering up the prizes right now. We're hoping to have something small for everyone who has an entry and then some main prizes for the winners. I'm just hoping that it's not a little too ambitious since it seems everyone who comments on it say "I can't wait to see what other people enter" without any mention of making an entry of their own.

Anyway I know a few people are working on stuff to enter so hopefully we'll have an ok turn out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X