ARP and RARP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARP and RARP?

These days i am reading the book <<TCP/IP Illustrated volume 1:Protocols>>,written by W.Rechard.Steven.It is really a wonderful book for me a beginner.And i have a question here:
    There are two hosts on an Ethernet:A(192.168.0.1) and B(192.168.0.2).Now i am operating on the host A.Now i want to get the MAC Address of B,so i type the command:
    c:\ping 192.168.0.2
    then
    c:\arp -a
    And in the arp cache i get the MAC Address.
    The question is if i have the MAC Address of B,how can i get its current IP Address?I know there is a RARP,how can i do it ?
    thanx.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rarp
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I would tell you but they^ would have to kill me.
      The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.
      Or the one that ends up in dev/null.

Comment

Originally posted by enCode
        IIRC, the phrase is "We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you"
        “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

Originally posted by enCode
          I don't think Chris or Oversight would kill you if you told, but I do think they might do other things to you.
          "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Service or command?

So is RARP an actual command, as in you can actually type it into a console... or just a type of network service that gets a client an IP based on its own MAC address (which some sites explain how to do)?

Comment

Originally posted by junktext
              So is RARP an actual command, as in you can actually type it into a console... or just a type of network service that gets a client an IP based on its own MAC address (which some sites explain how to do)?
              root@roamer:~$ rarp --help
              Usage: rarp -a list entries in cache.
              rarp -d <hostname> delete entry from cache.
              rarp [<HW>] -s <hostname> <hwaddr> add entry to cache.
              rarp -f add entries from /etc/ethers.
              rarp -V display program version.

<HW>=Use '-H <hw>' to specify hardware address type. Default: ether
              List of possible hardware types (which support ARP):
              strip (Metricom Starmode IP) ether (Ethernet) tr (16/4 Mbps Token Ring)
              tr (16/4 Mbps Token Ring (New)) ax25 (AMPR AX.25) netrom (AMPR NET/ROM)
              arcnet (ARCnet) dlci (Frame Relay DLCI) irda (IrLAP)
              x25 (generic X.25)
              perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak
                I don't think Chris or Oversight would kill you if you told, but I do think they might do other things to you.
                Thats a relief
                The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.
                Or the one that ends up in dev/null.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                  root@roamer:~$ rarp --help
                  Usage: rarp -a list entries in cache.
                  rarp -d <hostname> delete entry from cache.
                  rarp [<HW>] -s <hostname> <hwaddr> add entry to cache.
                  rarp -f add entries from /etc/ethers.
                  rarp -V display program version.

<HW>=Use '-H <hw>' to specify hardware address type. Default: ether
                  List of possible hardware types (which support ARP):
                  strip (Metricom Starmode IP) ether (Ethernet) tr (16/4 Mbps Token Ring)
                  tr (16/4 Mbps Token Ring (New)) ax25 (AMPR AX.25) netrom (AMPR NET/ROM)
                  arcnet (ARCnet) dlci (Frame Relay DLCI) irda (IrLAP)
                  x25 (generic X.25)
                  This command can't be used to find that IP address that is being used by a given MAC address.

A utility called arping can be used to accomplish that.

hactar:~# arping 00:00:0C:92:A1:55
                  ARPING 00:00:0C:92:A1:55
                  60 bytes from 192.168.1.1 (00:00:0c:92:a1:55): icmp_seq=0 time=2.385 msec

I'm using the version available from http://www.habets.pp.se/synscan/prog...hp?prog=arping.

Comment

umm.. I think if we view the original post, it shows in his example "C:\ping."
                    By just taking a wild guess I feel that were dealing w/ a windows related machine (booo!!) =(. In that case, there is no given command of "rarp."

So think he should re word his post to, "how do I use rarp in windows?"

I googled different things, and couldn’t really find it either. I checked the various ARP switches in MS-Dos, and i didn’t find anything that would translate hardware address to a Logical Address.

But the thing is i don’t see the sense dealing w/ rarp when working with workstations. (Maybe some of you can enlighten me)

Just wanted to make all aware. =)

Thank you.

-xChris
                    Last edited by xChris; June 7, 2004, 22:55. Reason: bah, grammer errors.
                    -Christopher

Comment

Working...
                    X