X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by zibo
    I got Linux Mandrake 10.0 (unofficial) and i cannot connect to the internet. I tried by shell but I still don't have connection. Can someone help me in finding source of this problem or tell me how to connect it right
    P.S : sorry for the bad english.
    ...and if for some reason, the above suggestions do not help you, then you can try to consult with someone in person at your local linux user group. Many cities now have these, and also have installfest where you can bring your computer to them for help with getting your hardware supported.

Local LUG are good as a resource and social network for pooling and sharing information. They can help you more advanced things like building, optimizing and patching kernels with extra security features, describe tools to aide in intrusion detection, and cover various languages applications and services you may find helpful. (I have been involved with several of these by organizing installfests, giving presentations and answering questions on lists. Many members [are] very skilled people who are willing to give away free time to help others.)

Linux user groups are really ideal forums for resolving this very issue you post if all of the above suggestions do not provide you with results.

HTH

[specified edit]
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 26, 2004, 08:57. Reason: changed word

Leave a comment:

• IcEbLAze
    replied
    I got Linux Mandrake 10.0 (unofficial) and i cannot connect to the internet. I tried by shell but I still don't have connection. Can someone help me in finding source of this problem or tell me how to connect it right

Or you could try -

Ifconfig eth0 up
    dhclient
    dhcpd
    ifconfig eth0 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx (your router address) netmask xxx.xxx.xxx

If your not connected through a router - adsl-setup

If your using dial up - use the default program that mandrake comes with for dial up connections... the gui one (sorry cant remember the name at the moment)

As well with all the other responses you got on here, read, read, read my friend... The fun never stops.

Leave a comment:

• enCode
    replied
    without knowing what you have done. I'd suggest:
    you need to know if your NIC is active (ping). try #man netconfig
    and see if that answers any questions.
    other wise start google-ing the linux forums. I've heard of other problems like this with mandrake.
    hope that helps ;)

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    I'm inclined to agree. This really isnt a Linux tech support forum. While, we can answer a lot of linux questions, there are forums out there that deal specificaly with helping people solve your problems. Also, we would need at lot more information other than 'I built the box and now I cant get on the internet'. With that statement alone, I can think of several dozen different things it might be. Maybe its not cabled right, maybe the network settings arent correct, and on and on.

Leave a comment:

• yankee
    replied
    The config file you're looking for is: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. Read the ifcfg man page.

Leave a comment:

• zziks
    replied
    Is the Cat 5 cable connected? is the machine turned on ?
    Why not try Google or linuxquestions.org they might have a better format in helping you with this problem.
    As a warning for future postings on this forum , Id suggest giving more detail on the specific problem your having . also include what courses of action you have tried in solving this problem , that way your post dosent piss off the moderators.
    Good luck

Leave a comment:

• zibo
    started a topic Linux internet help

Linux internet help

Working...
X